Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2003 6:07:30 AM EDT
Just received my first Surefire, a black G2 and it is sweet. I should have gotten the nylon holster with it. Now I want another one! I'm thinking of the Aviator or the Z2. Anyone have the Aviator, and, if so, is it worth the $175?

Funny story to go with it. I had it shipped to my office and when it came in I was showing it around. We have one guy, I'll call him Steve, who let's say is very inquisitive. If you have a new car he has to play with all the gagets, he's always taking things apart, etc.. So I tell Steve "make sure you don't shine it in your eyes", knowing full well that's the first thing he'd do. He did. These things work. He said he couldn't see straight ahead for about 30 seconds, although his periferal vision seemed to be ok.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got an Aviator, the white light isn't as bright as my 6p, but the LEDs come in handy for lower light and longer battery life. Sometimes he tailcap switch seems kind of finickey as to when it wants to function as advertised, and every once in a while you have to give the bulb end a twist as it seems to rotate ever so slightly so the LEDs don't light up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Love those Surefire lights.  Just need the $$$.
           [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
As a Z2 owner, I say "Get that sumbitch!"

I get mine at a considerable discount though. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Z3 and love it. With the high intensity bulb you can dispense with making a campfire.

CW
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a C3 and love it. Looks like you need a 3 cell for those occasions that demand MORE POWER.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my G2 today and another one on the way!!
What a flashlight! I thought Mag lights were bright. They can't touch a Surefire®.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
ive got a 6p
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered a couple of 6P's in the gunmetal finish for my brothers Christmas gifts, they arrived today and I had to open one up to check it out.  Damn nice lights, I screwed up bigtime by not ordering an extra one for myself.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]
NRA G2Z here,  I <3 it.  Just bought a yellow G2 nitrolon for one of my friends who is (was) infatuated with my flashlight.

I wish the G2Z had an LED head for it.  The G2 series isn't listed on any of the LED conversion pages.

Also have the red, blue, and beamshaper filters.  Pretty nifty.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Just be aware that if you ever do a "one man house clearing drill" using a white light, the bad guy may see flashes of that light coming before you enter the room he's hiding in.  In that case, you have totally given away your element of surprise, and he may take cover, and shoot you first as you enter the room.

Sure-fire light tactics work great for TEAMS of armor-wearing SWAT guys doing dynamic entries, after tossing in flash bangs.  The tactic does NOT translate well to a single home owner checking his house or yard.  

[img]http://matthewbracken.web.aplus.net/snakelogo.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahhh, surefire...

One day these will be mine... oh yes, they will be.
[img]http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/m6ha_large.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/l72_full.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
i just got the M4 with the blue filter add-on for my SO for xmas...

this is one hell of a flashlight -

i mean, you can't go wrong with a piece of equipment called the "Devastator"
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll stick with my 2 D cell Maglight. I like that it can be used as a weapon if need be.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll stick with my 2 D cell Maglight. I like that it can be used as a weapon if need be.
View Quote

I keep a 3D Maglight in my work truck for just that reason...

Surefires are outstanding lights though. I have a 9N rechargeable for general use, and also a 6P that I keep on the night stand. Then there's the weapon lights.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]
i have a G2 that i love, i have a 3D Maglite for general purpose use, but if it ever comes to a defensive situation, the Surefire is laying right beside my pistol
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a 5D as well as the SureFire. Kind of like guns, might as well have one of each.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got my first born male child up for sale in the EE so I can afford another Surefire.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#18]
E1E 15 lumen
6p converted to 9V 200 lumen
Z2 converted to 9V 200 lumen
M6 500 lumen handheld
M500B 500 lumen wep mounted

And some other stuff coming.

But that is IT,  no more SF except for parts.

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:01:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I've always had a flashlight fetish...ever since I was like 5 years old.  I was always under the impression that the Maglights were king...until...

I bought my first Surefire this past summer - a G2Z Nitrolon.  I instantly fell in love with it.  A month later I bought the 120 lumen P61 lamp module for the G2Z and an E1E Executive...fell in love with that one too.  I'm definitely addicted now!

Now I want a M3 or M6 when I can manage to scrape up some extra cash.  For those of you guys who have one of these two - are they brighter than hell or what?  Tell me about them so I convince myself that I really need one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those of you guys who have one of these two - are they brighter than hell or what?  Tell me about them so I convince myself that I really need one.
View Quote

So bright, you almost expect to feel some recoil when you turn one on![8D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#21]

I've got the Aviator and I LOVE IT.

I use the LED's every night see in the bedroom when the wife's asleep. I haven't had to replace the batteries in 6 months. And you have the more powerful light when you need it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I’ve got an Aviator.  It’s a superb flashlight, as well it should be considering it’s cost.

However, because of its cost, I’m constantly a bit nervous about losing it.

The LEDs are great both to conserve your batteries and to avoid totally washing out your night vision.  

Note, though, that the incandescent lamp isn’t rated with as high an output as the 6P (or 2Z) lamp.  However, the LED’s also stay on when the lamp is used, so maybe they make up the difference.

While not quite as convenient as a Z2, the Aviator can be easily used in conjunction with a handgun like a Z2.

The Aviator is about a half inch longer than a 6P.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

To quote The Beer Slayer: " I don't need a nightstick, I have a gun."

SG

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those of you guys who have one of these two - are they brighter than hell or what?  Tell me about them so I convince myself that I really need one.
View Quote

So bright, you almost expect to feel some recoil when you turn one on![8D]
View Quote

Thanks to new-arguy, I just got my M3 today and WOW! This light kicks ass. The bezel has serations cut into it so the light can be used as an impact weapon. I would hate to get hit in the teeth with this thing. Apperently this is a new feature on the M3.

The M3 is VERY bright and is just the right size. Fits perfectly in my hand when using the "Rodgers/SUREFIRE Technique".

[img]http://members.atlantic.net/~mslang/m3side.JPG[/img]
[img]http://members.atlantic.net/~mslang/msbezel.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#25]
mmmmmmmmm surefire! Hmm, let me think...

1- E1e
2- E2e
1- A2a
2- G2
1- G2z
1- 6P
1- Z2
2- M2
1- M3
1- M6
1- M900
1- M962su
1- M981su
2- 650
1- P105
1- 623FA

I think that does it. Even with all these lights, I am jealous of that new M3 bezel that M4Real has. Its awesome! I need one for mine!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top