Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/7/2003 12:07:41 AM EDT
I am a humble 24 year old college student, with a nice collection of guns but not a lot of disposable income. I am an NRA certified rifle instructor and have a C&R FFL, but do not currently work for any firearms-related business. The closest I come is working as a shooting instructor at a summer camp for the last two years.

Friday afternoon I was surprised to find in my mailbox an invitation to the 2004 SHOT Show at the Las Vegas Convention Center. After reading though the fine print, it appears that the show is only meant for industry professionals, and registration requires an FFL, state tax number, or industry-related business card. I can reasonably say that I'm involved in instruction, but I'm not sure if my non-dealer FFL is going to be rejected or not. Furthermore, I'm a little concerned about what might appear to the ATF to be business-related activity with my collecting-only license. Finally, I have a few buddies who works in local law enforcement that I'm sure would love to come along. However, they are simply rank-and-file officers, not involved in training or equipment procurement.

If I send in the $15 per person for early registration, and fill in some reasonably accurate data on the rest of the registration form, what do you think my chances are of being successful?

Poll coming...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:01:54 AM EDT
They'll be glad to have you. I kinda doubt they'll be seriously scrutinizing attendees.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:19:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2003 1:20:35 AM EDT by wetidlerjr]
Originally Posted By Terrato: I am a humble 24 year old college student, with a nice collection of guns but not a lot of disposable income. I am an NRA certified rifle instructor and have a C&R FFL, but do not currently work for any firearms-related business. The closest I come is working as a shooting instructor at a summer camp for the last two years. Friday afternoon I was surprised to find in my mailbox an invitation to the 2004 SHOT Show at the Las Vegas Convention Center. After reading though the fine print, it appears that the show is only meant for industry professionals, and registration requires an FFL, state tax number, or industry-related business card. I can reasonably say that I'm involved in instruction, but I'm not sure if my non-dealer FFL is going to be rejected or not. Furthermore, I'm a little concerned about what might appear to the ATF to be business-related activity with my collecting-only license. Finally, I have a few buddies who works in local law enforcement that I'm sure would love to come along. However, they are simply rank-and-file officers, not involved in training or equipment procurement. If I send in the $15 per person for early registration, and fill in some [i]reasonably[/i] accurate data on the rest of the registration form, what do you think my chances are of being successful? Poll coming...
View Quote
Claiming to be a "humble" college student will most likely sink you as no one will believe that. [:D] Other than that, what do you have to lose? [:)] [devil] Edited because.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:05:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wetidlerjr: Claiming to be a "humble" college student will most likely sink you as no one will believe that. [:D] Other than that, what do you have to lose? [:)]
View Quote
I meant humble mostly in terms of, "Low in rank, quality, or station," not so much, "Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior." [:)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:14:13 AM EDT
Got a printer and computer? Make your own business card and send it in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:17:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:19:32 AM EDT
I wouldn't worry about the BATF thinking you've violated any C&R provisions by going to the SHOT show. Anyway, you're a bright young man with a promising future who is (potentially) looking to make connections that could help him in his upcoming career. How can they say "no" to that? Somehow I doubt they'd send the invite if they didn't want you there. They've never sent me an invite to go there, so put in a good word for me while you're at it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:53:49 AM EDT
Last year I used my C&R license number with no problem. Incidentally, if you file through the Internet (which I did), you can’t send a business card anyway. You may have to be a little creative in filling out the application. [:D] Prior to my retirement, I used my LEO business card and got in numerous times with no problems. (I worked for the federal government, but I can’t see that making any difference.) Note though, that while the outfit running the show wants as many people as possible to show up, the vendors sometimes complain (correctly) that people get into the show who shouldn’t be there. In fairness, this show is terribly important to the livelihood of the vendors and I can understand them not wanting spend a lot of time dealing with attendees who aren’t going to be buying anything. I try to quietly browse for this reason. Anyway, the people running the show have in the past promised to tighten things up, but thus far I haven’t seen any evidence of that. Just keep in mind it could happen. (Though last years show didn’t strike me as being well attended anyway, which should work in our favor.) Register with your credit card, if they don’t accept your application, you’re not out anything. Oh, and if you go – wear comfortable shoes!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:12:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: Hell the ATF isn't going to have to come find you, you are going to them. The ATF and FBi always have a booth at Shot Show. It makes arresting unauthorized attendees easier. [:D]
View Quote
Thanks SteyrAUG, I didn't know they were so protective of industry secrets. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:15:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:17:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: Actually I wasn't joking about the ATF/FBI booth. They are actually there.
View Quote
Yeah, I read you there. I would have been surprised if they didn't.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:06:56 AM EDT
I'm going because I have a state tax ID number and a business card (not firearms specific). They just keep that stuff on file if they need it. They want your $15 bucks, your an NRA rifle instructor, I'm sure someone would pay you to teach them how to shoot.Print a business card and go. See you there. BRJ
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:44:08 AM EDT
Top Top