Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2003 1:57:10 AM EDT
Have you ever heard of anyone actually getting up and objecting to the union when that phrase is recited?

Just thinking about it because a friend of mine's getting divorced after 5 years of marriage.  My friends and I wondered why he married that chick when she was utterly unremarkable.  Worse than that she was just dumb, vulgar, loud and annoying.  I wouldn't even date that broad, and here was my friend marrying her.  Part of it has to do with his very religious family (they were mortified that he and she lived together BEFORE getting married, and she was his first girlfriend).

Anyway, my friends and I all agreed this girl brought nothing to the table and wasn't someone you'd marry. We couldn't see what they saw in each other. But we all kept our mouths shut because he was happy and we didn't want to poison the well or anything.  But it kind of makes me wonder why the cleric marrying the couple even bothers with that line "Speak now, yada yada yada."  No one with any sense of decorum would say anything anyway.
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 2:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
She probably has a "skill" that overcomes her shortcomings that even the best man is "aware" of? [;)]
Is it piece or peace?
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish that SOMEONE, ANYONE had spoken up at my Wedding.

EVERYONE that knew me as a friend told me, in polite terms, that I was making a mistake.  I wish one of them had beaten the shit out of me to get it through my head.  It would have hurt a LOT less that what I ended up doing.

[BD]
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
She probably has a "skill" that overcomes her shortcomings that even the best man is "aware" of? [;)]
Is it piece or peace?
View Quote

Like I said, this was his first girlfriend. He didn't even know how much better he could do (he makes a great living and lived in San Francisco/Los Angeles/Hawaii, babes everywhere).

But getting married for the sex is crazy.  It's like flying to Hawaii because of that great airline food they'll serve you on the way there. And as if the wife will put out whenever you want anyway.

I know guys whose rationalization for marriage was the sex. "Dude! I wont have to date or play games anymore!"  You just have to shake your head at their ignorance.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
BTT.  Stupid arfkom went down just as this potentially amusing thread got posted.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]

So who has a story of "Speak Now, or Forever.  blah, blah, blah...."?

ANY story along these lines should be good.

Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Was she pregnant before they got married? Hmmm.....
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
And heres to you Mrs Robinson,Jesus holds a place for those who pray!

That is the one time(in hollywierd)that I know this has happened!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
What is being asked for are [i]legal[/i] reasons to stop the marriage, i.e. "They're brother & sister!" "He's sterile [a canonical & formerly a secular obstacle to marriage]!" "That bitch is still married to [b]me[/b]!" "Daddy, you cain't be phornukaten wiff Sis!" et c., not "She spits it out!" "He's a dog!" "Your feng shui is incompatible!" "She's a Capricorn, for God's sake!" et c.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top