Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/28/2003 10:29:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 10:50:57 PM EDT by Airwolf]
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/11/23/SPGP838V471.DTL

Charlie Tuna Award

My selection for this year's Charlie Tuna Award goes to the Animal Protection Institute (API) of Sacramento. This is no easy feat considering some of the stunts pulled off by former Fish and Game Director Robert Hight.

The API pushed SB 1645 as law, which requires that anybody taking furbearing mammals or non-game animals must purchase a trapping license, available only by paying a fee ($78.50) and passing a fairly complex test. Now get this: Fish and Game Code 4005 defines non-game animals as including mice, rats, gophers and moles.

So now you need a trapping license to set out mousetraps?

Terry Knight of the Lake County Fish and Wildlife Committee asked Scott Paulsen, DFG chief of law enforcement, that question at a committee meeting Thursday night.

"We're not enforcing this for personal use," said Paulson, who then added that, because of the force of law, the statute must be enforced for commercial use.

That means if you hire a neighbor to set mousetraps at your house, or perhaps hire your gardener or a pest control service, that they must have a trapping permit -- or face being arrested.

The DFG did not support the bill, but the Animal Protection Institute pushed it through anyway, according to Knight.

"I can see the headlines now, 'Mice trappers face jail term,' " Knight said. "But if you get the permit, the real problem you're facing is that it takes too many mice to make a fur coat."

The Charlie Tuna Award is a fish hook made out of fool's gold.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:03:08 AM EDT
Only in Kalifornia....
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:08:39 AM EDT
Bull shit. I've bought several mouse and rat traps in the last few weeks - both sticky and snap traps and didn't get no fricken license, pay no fee, nor pass a test beyond being able to pay the cashier. [lol] [b]"We're not enforcing this for personal use," said Paulson, who then added that, because of the force of law, the statute must be enforced for commercial use.[/b] So yes, it looks like just like doctors, lawyers, vets, dentist, smog checkers, taxi drivers ... you also need a license to trap animal for professional use - like most states in the union, not just California (duhh).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:13:57 AM EDT
Reminds me of two weeks ago when Arnold followed the recommendations of the parole board and commuted the death sentences of two convicted killers. People were all "only in California" but didn't note that the parole board made the recommendation and that California is only one of three states where the governor even has the power to overrule - or agree with the board. [lol] The poster also didn't note that the out going Illinois state governor paroled the [b]ENTIRE DEATH ROW[/b] in his state commuting the sentence of 168 (IIRC) convicted killers to life just a short time before Arnold did the two in California. Two recommendations in California were bigger news than 168 in fly-over country which proves my point that yes, too many people's lives revolve around California [lol]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:15:20 AM EDT
Back in the olden days we had a part time legislature. We need to go back to that system. -Only meet 6 months out of the year. -Can only submit 3 bills in a 1 year period. -Pay cut in half. -No state supplied car. -Per diem for the year forfeited if budget is not in on time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:18:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Paul: Reminds me of two weeks ago when Arnold followed the recommendations of the parole board and commuted the death sentences of two convicted killers. People were all "only in California" but didn't note that the parole board made the recommendation and that California is only one of three states where the governor even has the power to overrule - or agree with the board. [lol] The poster also didn't note that the out going Illinois state governor paroled the [b]ENTIRE DEATH ROW[/b] in his state commuting the sentence of 168 (IIRC) convicted killers to life just a short time before Arnold did the two in California. Two recommendations in California were bigger news than 168 in fly-over country which proves my point that yes, [red]too many people's lives revolve around California[/red] [lol]
View Quote
It do seem like it, don't it...!?!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:19:38 AM EDT
... and No super majority to increase taxes Mello-roos No voter referendums
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:28:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Paul: Bull shit. I've bought several mouse and rat traps in the last few weeks - both sticky and snap traps and didn't get no fricken license, pay no fee, nor pass a test beyond being able to pay the cashier. [lol] [b]"We're not enforcing this for personal use," said Paulson, who then added that, because of the force of law, the statute must be enforced for commercial use.[/b] So yes, it looks like just like doctors, lawyers, vets, dentist, smog checkers, taxi drivers ... you also need a license to trap animal for professional use - like most states in the union, not just California (duhh).
View Quote
For some reason, i don't see a person that you hire to trap rodents in the same view as a "doctors, lawyers, vets, dentist, smog checkers, taxi drivers" etc etc. For example, this means you can't hire your neighbors kid to trap gophers in your lawn, or any other simple task involving minimum wage labor, rodents and traps. So yeah, people do focus on CA, not because it is so big and special, but because it is so messed up. (I won't even mention what i think of laws that are not enforced when initially passed, but when the bueracracy runs out of things to do, starts looking for obscure laws to enforce.) So BS to you, Paul.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:00:01 AM EDT
It's not only Kalifornicastan... Washington State Passed in Nov. 2000, I-713 banned the use of body-gripping traps or poison to kill or capture an animal for recreation or fur-trading. The measure was mounted by animal-rights activists as a ban on cruel and inhuman trapping practices that kill or maim fur-bearing mammals such as beaver and otter. Opponents of I-713 argued that the initiative was written so broadly that it even prohibited trapping gophers and moles in yards, cemeteries, parks and playfields.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:29:53 AM EDT
What about preban mousetraps? And cats for that matter - will I have to get a license for my kitty, Tickles, when I employ him with catching mice? (payment rendered in room and board) Poor Tickles, it may be off to the stripey hole for you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:48:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Blue84S10: Only in Kalifornia....
View Quote
Nope!! This bullshit, and worse, is everywhere... Thank God the repubs will set us free!! [rolleyes] If our military is fighting in the middle-east, to "Liberate" them, who's gonna fight for us here at home, to set US free?? [devil]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:24:40 PM EDT
I have about 2K in traps just hanging since Wa passed that law.[:(] Leg hold and Conabear
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:44:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By liberty86:
Originally Posted By Blue84S10: Only in Kalifornia....
View Quote
Nope!! This bullshit, and worse, is everywhere... Thank God the repubs will set us free!! [rolleyes] If our military is fighting in the middle-east, to "Liberate" them, who's gonna fight for us here at home, to set US free?? [devil]
View Quote
Uhhhh, the militia?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:57:56 PM EDT
Hes right, Washingtom prohibits the use of rat traps, although it is not enforced.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:02:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By danonly:
Originally Posted By Paul: Bull shit. I've bought several mouse and rat traps in the last few weeks - both sticky and snap traps and didn't get no fricken license, pay no fee, nor pass a test beyond being able to pay the cashier. [lol] [b]"We're not enforcing this for personal use," said Paulson, who then added that, because of the force of law, the statute must be enforced for commercial use.[/b] So yes, it looks like just like doctors, lawyers, vets, dentist, smog checkers, taxi drivers ... you also need a license to trap animal for professional use - like most states in the union, not just California (duhh).
View Quote
For some reason, i don't see a person that you hire to trap rodents in the same view as a "doctors, lawyers, vets, dentist, smog checkers, taxi drivers" etc etc. For example, this means you can't hire your neighbors kid to trap gophers in your lawn, or any other simple task involving minimum wage labor, rodents and traps. So yeah, people do focus on CA, not because it is so big and special, but because it is so messed up. (I won't even mention what i think of laws that are not enforced when initially passed, but when the bueracracy runs out of things to do, starts looking for obscure laws to enforce.) So BS to you, Paul.
View Quote
The joke around here is people who don't find San Francisco liberal enough to their liking move to Oregon. And I know a few people who moved for that very reason. So there! [:P]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:01:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Paul: Two recommendations in California were bigger news than 168 in fly-over country which proves my point that yes, too many people's lives revolve around California [lol]
View Quote
As a resident of "fly-over" country (as you so quaintly put it[:D]), I can assure you that more than casual notice was taken of the out-going IL Governor commuting the IL death row inmates and it was a National news item that was covered by all major news outlets. [devil]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:29:18 AM EDT
When is that damned place going to fall into the ocean?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:42:26 AM EDT
Hey, we're a free people. We can do anything we want as long as the gov't approves of it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:20:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 4:24:09 AM EDT by captainpooby]
I used to want to be a trapper when I was a kid growing up in northern Ontario. I worked part time at The Ontario Trappers Association during the fur auctions as a porter for the fur buyers. Those guys would tip LARGE. We dealt in furs from all over Canada and northern US. Trapping is a noble, necessary profession. Of course we all know better. Mice should not be trapped but taken with AR15's....hence the name: mouse gun. [url]http://www.furharvesters.com/[/url]
Top Top