Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 7:41:52 PM EDT
My Norton Antivirus did it's routine scan and found 2 files infected with the trojan horse virus.

Ok,  it quarintined one of the files but couldn't quarintine the other file.  I tried to delete the file and it won't delete.

I even went to the file itself and tried to delete it through with the right click of the mouse.  Then click delete,  it said it won't delete.

So what can I do??  How can I get rid of this thing?

Oh yes,  I have been getting error messages lately stating I don't have enough virtual memory.  This just started,  would that be connected to the virus???
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Here, let me send you a file that will clear your system right up...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok...

'Trojan Horse' is not the name of a virus, it is a TYPE of virus that 'sneaks' a remote access program (or another virus) onto your PC... And YES, it can eat up your RAM...

First, how old is your copy of NAV?

AV software is probably the ONLY thing that you need to upgrade every version...

Second, you need to run another virus scan in
'safe mode'. Press & hold F8 when your PC is about to switch to the windows-logo boot-up screen... You'll get a menu to go into 'safe mode', choose 'safe mode' and let the PC load. Your desktop will be in 640x480x16, and you will be able to virus-scan and clean/delete (don't 'quarantine' stuff, try to clean it, and if it can't clean it, delete it) the file in question...

The reason it can't be deleted in 'normal' mode is that that file is the active virus file...

If that doesn't work, pay your local PC shop $70-90 to fix it for you, and watch what you download/run...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok...

'Trojan Horse' is not the name of a virus, it is a TYPE of virus that 'sneaks' a remote access program (or another virus) onto your PC... And YES, it can eat up your RAM...

First, how old is your copy of NAV?

AV software is probably the ONLY thing that you need to upgrade every version...

Second, you need to run another virus scan in
'safe mode'. Press & hold F8 when your PC is about to switch to the windows-logo boot-up screen... You'll get a menu to go into 'safe mode', choose 'safe mode' and let the PC load. Your desktop will be in 640x480x16, and you will be able to virus-scan and clean/delete (don't 'quarantine' stuff, try to clean it, and if it can't clean it, delete it) the file in question...

The reason it can't be deleted in 'normal' mode is that that file is the active virus file...

If that doesn't work, pay your local PC shop $70-90 to fix it for you, and watch what you download/run...
View Quote

Netscape 7.1

Windows professional 2000

I tried restarting while holding down f8 but it didn't do anything, I'll try again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If its a trojan, it might have a registry entry, that you have to delet before you and elete the file. If it does, its most likely in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHENE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run    

directory.....  If you want to get to the registry go to the start menue, select "Run" and type in "regedit", no quotes.... then go to the above directory.  If one of the entries or descriptions matches the file name of the virus, then delete the value from the registry (or double check on google by typing in the registry value to make sure its actully a virus and not a system file), and restart the computer.  You can now delete the virus like any other file.  BUT, if you do not know which value is the virus's, dont delete random things, my friend screwed his computer up that way.
  Not all trojans create registry viruses, but many do.. I used to play around with trojans, I had to "disinfect" my comp on many, many occaisons- and when Norton failed, this was the easiest manual way to do it.  You can also murder a lot of spyware this way... you'd be amazed how much of that crap most comps have.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If its a trojan, it might have a registry entry, that you have to delet before you and elete the file. If it does, its most likely in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHENE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run    

directory.....  If you want to get to the registry go to the start menue, select "Run" and type in "regedit", no quotes.... then go to the above directory.  If one of the entries or descriptions matches the file name of the virus, then delete the value from the registry (or double check on google by typing in the registry value to make sure its actully a virus and not a system file), and restart the computer.  You can now delete the virus like any other file.  BUT, if you do not know which value is the virus's, dont delete random things, my friend screwed his computer up that way.
  Not all trojans create registry viruses, but many do.. I used to play around with trojans, I had to "disinfect" my comp on many, many occaisons- and when Norton failed, this was the easiest manual way to do it.  You can also murder a lot of spyware this way... you'd be amazed how much of that crap most comps have.
View Quote

Nope,  it wasn't listed in that directory.  HMM????
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you identifiede which trojan you have?  if you have then go to goto PCHELL.COM and see what they have for fixes.  Hit the Nortons site and see if they have a fix for it.

If you are feeling brave then start your puter into dos ( not in windows ) locate and delete the program.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you identifiede which trojan you have?  if you have then go to goto PCHELL.COM and see what they have for fixes.  Hit the Nortons site and see if they have a fix for it.

If you are feeling brave then start your puter into dos ( not in windows ) locate and delete the program.

View Quote

How do you identify the trojan?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
By the way,  when I just ran the Norton anti virus on the specific infected program it said no virus found???
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Usually when Norton finds a virus it tells you what it is.... then you can look for a fix, regisry thing to delete, or like LongGun said, delete it through DOS.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Usually when Norton finds a virus it tells you what it is.... then you can look for a fix, regisry thing to delete, or like LongGun said, delete it through DOS.
View Quote

It just said, "trojan horse" found on ....file
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe if you went into the Norton log file you can see exactly what its infected with.  ON my computer, it just tells me, but im using a older version.  C:/Program Files/Norton Antivirus   and then on my comp at least, the file is activity.log  you can probabely go to options on your norton and see exactly what this log is called....  the log should tell you what file is infected, in addition to what it's infected with.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
There's instructions for removing trojans on the Norton site.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Handled, thanks guys for all your help.

I figured out how to run in safe mode,  you actually have to tap f8 on my computer and it popped right up.  Did a scan,  deleted the infected files, it's all good now.

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top