Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 5:22:48 PM EDT
I haven't smoked in two weeks, since getting the 'respiratory flu' that's rampant as hell.
Today, I'm  craving  like a madman.
I just raided the fridge for the cut-up veggies and spinach dip!
Coffee? = smoke.
Phone? = smoke.
Dump? = smoke.
Drive? = smoke.
Sex?  Sex?  I'm married... I'd say 'spank the monkey', but that's not the real problem here.

My addiction to nicotine is bothering me.
Help a Brother out...
Got any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The patch, nicotine gum, and a support group.

Your description is the exact reason the better survival books recommend quitting any vices because it will drive you nuts if you can't get your vice, whatever that may be.

By the way,  no one is perfect, we all have a vice of some sort but this is probably a sign for you to realize it is time to quit for good.

Doesn't it feel shitty to be owned by an innate substance?  i.e. nicotine

Think of it that way,  take control and quit for good.

Hope that helped.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Zyban, it worked for me. I haven't had a cigarette since Feb 3, 2001. Oh, and I was smoking about 20-25/day back then. I feel a lot better now, and use the money I would have spent on smokes to far better use, like buying guns.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you have trouble breathing when you had that resp. flu?  Just try to vividly remember how that felt when you need a cig.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If you do what to quit, try one of the many stop smoking aids.  I used the patch at the begining of the year and it took me almost 5 months to stop craving nicotine.  I did try the gum for almost a month and I just became a slug sitting on the couch and getting fat.  I had it better with the patch, I seemed to have energy and the want to get up and do stuff.  

I still want to light up sometimes, usually when I am on my way home from work (almost 1 1/2 hour drive).  I then chew a piece of gum and I feel better.

Hang in there and try to kick it.  Get some help from the american lung association .  

Don't eat junk food eather, eat crispy vegies and drink alot of water.

edit:  And think of all the gun stuff you can buy whan you aren't paying out $3-$5 a day.  It really adds up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Refer to my sigline.
Or, what really helps is to find something mentally stimulating to do while you'd normally smoke a cig. For example:
You get home after a long day at work, you sit down on the couch, and watch the tele, and instead of smoking a cig, chew a piece of nicorete and clean a gun, or read a takedown manual. The nicorete gum will ease your bodies need for nicotine, and keeping your mind off of what you normally would do while smoking is what you now do with the manual, or gun cleaning.
It made perfect sense to me when I quit chewing tobacco.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Zyban, zyban, zyban...
Do not use the stuff that reinforces the Nicotine. It is almost out of your system, patches, gum inhalers will only introduce it back in.
You are a better man than I for sticking to it, even if it took an illness to get you to this point.
Your body will thank you for it even though your mind is driving you crazy.
Go fondle your guns, clean them. Get lots of smelly chemicals on your hands. I can never smoke while cleaning my guns, smokes taste horrible for some reason with all those chemicals on my hands and in the air.

Use Zyban..

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Want these lungs?
[img]http://www.mesothelioma-lung-cancer.org/images/pics/healthy_lung_002.gif[/img].
or these lungs?
[img]http://www.mesothelioma-lung-cancer.org/images/pics/lung_cancer_lung_002.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Also good advice, klutch.

I had a particularly severe bout of bronchitis about six months ago.  Walking up a small flight of stairs would cause me to gasp for air.  I'm thankfully all back to normal now.  Haven't smoked since.  I just thought about potentially having to go through that again if I were to smoke.  Easy.

Nothing else matters when you can't breathe.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Zyban, clean since April 29, 2001.  No cravings except for the first day without, and I think they were habit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you have trouble breathing when you had that resp. flu?  Just try to vividly remember how that felt when you need a cig.
View Quote

Yes.
The 'wheezing' has almost stopped.
I just finished the killer prescriptions the Doctor gave me.
I'm not 100% yet.  Just getting there.
I do NOT want to have trouble breathing again, like I've been having since that last bout with the bug.
I should remind myself (BIG DUH here) that over a year ago the Doctor said I have the 'beginning stage' of emphysema...like most smokers do, or even people that work around certain environments...SO, I ought to be havin' a clue, huh? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I smoked for 40 years and for the last 25 of that, I smoked 5 packs a day.
Patches worked for me and the thought that whatever time I did without smoking would be blown if I had even one cigarette.
Smoked my last cig on Sept. 19, 1992.
Still do smoke up a storm in dreams however.

HTH.
marsh
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
No, SMOKING is/was killing you.  Not smoking is SAVING you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
The most important thing to keep in mind is that the craving shit will fade away and pass.  It was about two weeks for me (after getting well), ymmv.  I still kinda want one every now and then, but not bad at all.  

Just stick to it and stay strong.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
whatever you do, don't drink!!!!!  even i can smoke a cigarette when im drinking heavily and i hate smoking ordinarily.....................
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad quit cold turey in Parachute Colorado while on a family trip a long, long time ago. I think he bummed a few butts from his guys at work, at first, but sunflower seeds (low sodium, if ya can find 'em) and sugar free hard candy helped him for a while when he had the "hand-to-mouth" thing going on. My grandfather, now 78, waited to quit untill after he had a heart attack, and the following quad-bypass heart surgery and 3 month recovery in ICU. He had smoked for probably 40+ years of his life. that was about 10 years ago. He walks 2 miles most mornings now, and is twice as healthy.

I have smoked a handfull of cigs and about as many cigars... all while drinking and playing pool with friends at the bar. I shudder to think of it as a habit... but I have felt, even in that small amount, the craving for another smoke. I'd tell my self every time: "your and idiot..." Yet another reason to not drink a drop ever again...

Gotta drink the rest of my good whiskey first though... [;D]

Hard candy, sunflower seeds, the patch, the gum... do whatever it takes to quit man... you and your family will be better off... Get your family to help remind you... AND YOU'LL HAVE MORE MONEY TO SPEND ON AMMO AND GUNS [:)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to smoke a half-pack a day for 6 years, so it might have been a little easier for me. I quit cold turkey. For all the physical addiction, the mental part is how you beat it. DON'T pick up a cigarette and bite the bullet for a couple of weeks. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to keep smoking. Think strategically, think about the good you're doing your body by not smoking. If you get that killer craving (you know what I'm talking about), you know what you do? [Brando] You act like a man, that's what you do![/Brando]. DON'T do it. For the children.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd say you're kind of lucky to unable to smoke- take advantage of it and break the habit.  
joo can dooo eet!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Give in to temptation! [:D]

Really though, hope you can get through it ok.

Although those new anti-smoking commercials ("Truth") [i]almost[/i] make me want to take up smoking, just to spite them. But never cut off your nose to spite your face, I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Ask you wife to shoot you in the ass if she finds you with a cig.

And she will. Women are like that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#20]
http://www.lungusa.org/tobacco/
american lung association program helped me stop. It's coming up on two years in January.

Rule # 1 JUST DON'T SMOKE!!! Do anything else.. go for a walk, take a shower, clean teh garage- just don't smoke.
Rule # 2 The cravings will pass. Really. I used teh patch for 2 weeks, and I was over the craving by day 3.
Check out the online program too- good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Want these lungs?
[url]http://www.mesothelioma-lung-cancer.org/images/pics/healthy_lung_002.gif[/url].
or these lungs?
[url]http://www.mesothelioma-lung-cancer.org/images/pics/lung_cancer_lung_002.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Funny, I got the second lung pic as wallpaper on my laptop and I'm still smoking!!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I haven't smoked in two weeks, since getting the 'respiratory flu' that's rampant as hell.
Today, I'm  [i]craving[/i]  like a madman.
I just raided the fridge for the cut-up veggies and spinach dip!
Coffee? = smoke.
Phone? = smoke.
Dump? = smoke.
Drive? = smoke.
Sex?  Sex?  I'm married... I'd say 'spank the monkey', but that's not the real problem here.[;D]

My addiction to nicotine is bothering me.
Help a Brother out...
Got any suggestions?
View Quote

I wish I could help you but I can't even help myself. I have a lot of advice but it's different for everyone. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Bus, I know what you are going through. I quit almost two years ago. I had been wanting to quit for sometime.
The reason I did was I figured out how much $ I spent annually on cigs.
It added up to be enough money to buy a pre ban Colt AR!
So, i quit and bought another pre ban, with the support of my wife.
Now, two years later, I look back and think what a great choice I made. I can live longer, enjoy firearms longer and piss off anti-gun folks by buying AR's with my cigarette money!
Isn't life great!

JustAGirl

Quoted:
Want these lungs?
www.mesothelioma-lung-cancer.org/images/pics/healthy_lung_002.gif.
or these lungs?
www.mesothelioma-lung-cancer.org/images/pics/lung_cancer_lung_002.jpg

Funny, I got the second lung pic as wallpaper on my laptop and I'm still smoking!!!!  
View Quote

You are not funny.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Go get some Kodiak!  Or, if you've never dipped before, try starting off with some Bandits.  

When you feel you're lungs are coming back into operating order, start off with some menthols, maybe Marlboro Menthol Lights.  They're a lot easier on a sensitive intake than regulars.  

That should get you thru your flu.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Go get some Kodiak!  Or, if you've never dipped before, try starting off with some Bandits.  

When you feel you're lungs are coming back into operating order, start off with some menthols, maybe Marlboro Menthol Lights.  They're a lot easier on a sensitive intake than regulars.  

View Quote

Boy!! you're quite the friend- aren't you??? Assclown.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Boy!! you're quite the friend- aren't you??? Assclown.
View Quote

The man never said he wanted to quit.  Hey, I want some company in the cancer ward!  If he wants to quit, great.  Good luck to him.  If he just wants to stop his cravings, I suggested some methods of getting his fix that don't involve smoking.  His lungs, after all.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#27]
bang smack
Good luck! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Anybody see the new South Park last week?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Go chew on some live ammo, sooner or later its bound to do the same thing a cigarette will...KILL YOU!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Doesn't it feel shitty to be owned by an innate substance?  i.e. nicotine

Think of it that way,  take control and quit for good.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better.  That's exactly why I will not do drugs of any kind.

But I agree with Sniper_Wolfe, those damn "truth" adds on tv almost make me want to start to smoke!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#31]
You know that first cigarette in the morning, the one you have with a cup of coffee and the solitude of a lovely sunrise?  You know what I'm talking about.  The long drag, the slow, deep inhale, and the smoke hits you lungs and you're almost dizzy for a second, but it feels so wonderful, and the coffee tastes so good.

God, I miss smoking. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I haven't smoked in two weeks,
Got any suggestions?
View Quote

If you haven'y smoked in two weeks you have beaten the physical addiction. Now it is literally "all in your head". You miss the dog and pony show of lighting up, etc. Tough it out. Who the F*** is in charge of your life, you or the butts? The longer you go the less the desire as the psychological component of the habit fades.
BTDT
After 17 years of smoking heavily, last cigarette was 2/28/86. Not smoking is exquisitely simple and exquisitely difficult simultaneously. But, if you have a hair on your ass you can do it.
Good luck and best wishes to succeed. You *CAN* do it!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#33]
A co-worker who is trying to quit told me , whilst out for a few drinks last week, that if he was still smoking one month from the day he started to try to quit , then , I had the right , no , the duty to punch him in the face ....

of course me , being a good friend and all , I agreed...

very simple reinforcement psychology...dont' want to get hit in the mouth ...then don't smoke...

that being said , I am going to go have one ...

t
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
... the Doctor said I have the 'beginning stage' of emphysema...
View Quote

If you’re looking for motivation, do a little research on emphysema.

Seriously!

Tobacco is not your friend!

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#35]
DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ANYTHING! Use a substitute and in no time you'll be back. I know I did it 4 time. Been off them this time for 21 years. And yes I still get the urge every now and then. Just remember..It’s easy to stop smoking. You only have to give up the first one

Gerry
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]
As mentioned, the nicotine is out of your system and the detox is complete within the first seventy two hours.

The cravings you have now are from the psychological addiction.  

Develop healthy alternatives to solve whatever problems you were using the cigarettes for.  Tension reduction, boredom, oral fixations ( (;D) ), whatever.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Zyban, it worked for me. I haven't had a cigarette since Feb 3, 2001. Oh, and I was smoking about 20-25/day back then. I feel a lot better now, and use the money I would have spent on smokes to far better use, like buying guns.
View Quote

I quit 5 years ago. I had tried the patch, the gum, etc. and then Zyban came out. I quit without a problem. The shit is awesome. It binds to nicotinic receptors in the brain (like nicotine) and stops your craving for cigarettes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#38]
15 year smoker, now cig free for almost 21 months.  The patch was my way out.  I feel better, my blood pressure is lower, and foods have taste now.  I also don't smell like an ashtray all day long.  Neither will you.  It's more pleasant this way.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#39]
[b]3 weeks now...[/b]

I went back to work last week and managed to not smoke at every layover or any other opportunity.
I'm still wanting to 'have a Coke and a smoke' once in a while, though.
The SMELL on other people, you know, the ones I used to smoke with?, is fuct!
I can't believe that part of it.
Even my Dearly Beloved Wife comes in from the back porch and it's like - EEeeewwww.
Trying to knock down the Altoids and toothpicks as much as possible.
Apples and Tangerines work pretty good, too.
This AIN'T easy, folks.
It IS happenin' one day at a time.
The best part is the not wheezing at night. I hated that sound.  Like a cross between a baby crying and a cat meowing...it sounded WEAK.
I'm still short of breath, even though I'm not smoking.  I think the respiratory sickness I had is still lingering slightly.
Onward I shall go!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Keep it up - we're all rooting for ya!  

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#41]

We'll it took my dad to get emphazema to quit. He used the pill and the patch.

Six years later it looks as if it was too late. My dad had a respitory faliure about a month and half ago. He's been in ICU since then. The machine is keeping him alive. I don't know if he's going to make it. I pray he does. I really want him to see my son graduate from high school this year.

As for me, I smoke about two to three packs a day. I want to quit real bad myself. I know I have to plan a date. On 1-1-2003 I quit drinking. On 1-1-2004 I'm going to quit smoking.

Hang in there you can do it!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#42]
The SHTF, your family is depending on you....and you're the guy with the oxygen tank.

Theres a visual for you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Glad you're making progress!

Sniper_wolfe is right...those damned ads probably get more people to smoke out of SPITE than all the marlboro man ads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top