Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 4:20:48 PM EDT

icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/content_objectid=13670818_method=full_siteid=50082_headline=-Toilet-attempt-death-plunge-name_page.html

Toilet-attempt death plunge

Nov 28 2003

Catrin Pascoe, The Western Mail

A NEWLY-WED dad plunged to his death from a Ford Transit tipper while trying to relieve himself out of the open door of the moving vehicle, a West Wales inquest heard yesterday.

Ian Critchell, who had only been married four weeks and had become a dad just seven months earlier, was critically injured after plunging from the vehicle taking him back to his lodgings in Croesgoch.

His new bride Louise and Mr Critchell's parents had been at Haverfordwest's Withybush Hospital when Mr Critchell's life support machine was switched off.

The court heard that Mr Critchell, a ground worker with a water and drainage company who lived in Dorchester, had been working on a building site in West Wales and was travelling back to his lodgings with his workmates following a bout of heavy drinking when the tragedy happened.

A post-mortem examination revealed he had died of a fractured skull and brain injuries.

Mr Critchell's workmate Richard Teversham, said that, along with colleague Andy Farr, they were travelling back to their digs after spending the evening at The Sloop Inn, at nearby Porthgain.

Mr Teversham, of Weymouth, described how they had travelled only a short way at about 25mph with Mr Farr at the wheel when Mr Critchell suddenly said he needed the toilet.

"I told him to hang on and without saying a word he opened the door and went to pee outside," he said.

"It happened so quick. I tried to grab him as he went but he was halfway out and I just couldn't get hold of him."

Jumping out of the tipper, Mr Taversham found his friend lying unconscious in the road.

"I put him in the recovery position and held him until the paramedics arrived. He told the hearing that he had seen Mr Critchell urinate out of a moving vehicle once before.

Mr Farr, of Creasy Road, Bournemouth, said when he reversed to the spot where Mr Critchell had fallen, he initially thought he was asleep as he appeared to be snoring. Mr Critchell was rushed to hospital where his life support machine was turned off the following day.

Mr Howells said, "Mr Critchell fell out of a moving vehicle while attempting to urinate. It is difficult to imagine anything more foolish. They had done it before and got away with it and clearly thought they could do so again."

He recorded a verdict of accidental death.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No shit.  This is fairly basic stuff I thought...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
"I told him to hang on and without saying a word he opened the door and went to pee outside," he said.
View Quote

geez, i thought everybody knew you pissed out the WINDOW!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Nah, you piss in a bottle then throw it out the window.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

at a road sign, with points awarded for difficulty.........[:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a funnel and rubber tubing myself, aim the nozzle out the window and let 'er rip!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

at a road sign, with points awarded for difficulty.........[:D]
View Quote
                                                                                        Isn't that what the soft drink cups from McDonald are for?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is by far the best way to go. with the bottle you have sufficiant aim and no wind resistance as you would sticking your willy out the window. with a cap, seal it off and chuck it out the window.
some people refuse to stop the damn car!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've pissed out the passenger door of a moving 67 mustang.  But I really don't remember anything I was so drunk.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
reminds me of our senior class trip. guy I was sitting with on the school bus did that. Luckily he held it long enough for my to find another seat while he did his business

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Nope, you recycle your aluminum yourself and then chuck it out the window....
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#11]
thats a piss poor way to go.

mike
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use a funnel and rubber tubing myself, aim the nozzle out the window and let 'er rip!
View Quote

I thought those things were for chicks! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I cannot do that because I would be afraid of it dragging on the ground...

I wish.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]
One night we were heading to a concert, and we were running late. There was a bunch of us in a van that had a sliding side door.

I had to take a leak, so I slid open the door. A buddy held the back of my pants/belt while I did my business. If he would have let go, I would have fell on my face.

The funny part was that some people were sitting on their frontporch as we drove by. With my free hand, I waved to them as we drove by. The look on their faces still cracks me up, and that was 20 yrs ago.

Nowdays, when people drive through that same neighborhood with open doors, they have guns blazin'. I wonder if they ever long for the good ole days? Two more were just killed a couple of days ago.

Oh yeah, a little alcohol was involved that night.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Back in the days when Land Rovers were Land Rovers, they used to have an inspection hatch between the front seats and behind the gear shift lever.    Probably in case you had to smack the transmission or transfer case with a wrench or hammer.  In any case when stopped nothing moved and relieving one's self was awkward but entirely feasible.  When traveling at freeway speeds still awkward but when streams of fluid hit a rapidly spinning driveshaft, the effect, I'm told, is similar to a fog nozzle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that similar to "Not having a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of." ? [:D}

[devil]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top