Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 11:00:58 AM EDT
I'm looking into getting a new computer game and interested in Rainbow Six 3:  Raven Shield.  Any other better First Person/Tactical Shooters out there for PC?

What are you guys playing?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#1]
counter strike-
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Santa is on the way home now with the X box and the Rainbow 6 game now. [:D]

Will have to wait till Dec. 25 to touch. [V]

I'm interested in your question too.

Regards...

Danny

P.S. My AR-10T carbine will be here Monday Dec. 1 st. Santa doesn't know about that one, yet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Americas Army 2.0
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been playing the Rainbow Six series since they came out a few years ago.  Raven Shield is by far the best game I have ever played.

It is a helluva lot of fun to play online too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
counter strike-
View Quote

Been there, done that.

Tired of DOD too.  Recently, I've been playing the shit out of Global Operations and just got the Single Player Vietcong and Multiplayer Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield demo's.  I dig RS3 but there are netcode issues and bugs that....well....bug the shit out of me.  I like the action tho.  Maybe most of these issued have been addressed by subsequent patches.

I'mma head to Best Buy and Fry's and let you boys know what I pick up.  I may seriously have to consider getting an XBOX from Ebay so I can get into Metal Gear Solid and Rainbow Six 3.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
counter strike-
View Quote

Been there, done that.

Tired of DOD too.  Recently, I've been playing the shit out of Global Operations and just got the Single Player Vietcong and Multiplayer Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield demo's.  I dig RS3 but there are netcode issues and bugs that....well....bug the shit out of me.  I like the action tho.  Maybe most of these issued have been addressed by subsequent patches.

I'mma head to Best Buy and Fry's and let you boys know what I pick up.  I may seriously have to consider getting an XBOX from Ebay so I can get into Metal Gear Solid and Rainbow Six 3.....
View Quote

Haven't played CS in a couple years, I heard a new one is or is suposed to be out soon. I'm still working on Ghost Recon: Thunder Island. Been through it on every difficulty setting but the last one and now that I started that for some reason I keep screwing up on the first mission and can't figure out what the hell I keep messing up on.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
America's Army 2.0
It friggen rocks.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
America's Army 2.0
It friggen rocks.

Kharn
View Quote

Vote #3 for this one.

Its free, and it is designed to force people to work together. Kids who just like to run around and shoot things do not last a long time.

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Americas Army 2.0
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Operation Flashpoint (with all of the upgrades)
TONS of high quality, user made addons available on the net also.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Americas Army 2.0
View Quote

Vote #5
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Raven Sheild is OK. There are some definite gameplay problems: no battlefield pickup, no sprint, jump or climbing anything other than ladders.

If you were into DOD, then these will be major issues; at least they are with me.

I'd check this one out: http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/

It's a free Unreal Mod. If you don't have Unreal T, it'll cost you about $10.

There are lots of quality maps. The gameplay is awesome. Aiming is done by looking thru the sights on your weapon, no crosshairs. The guys that coded it are all military wannabe geeks so they got really into making it as realistic as possible.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Americas Army 2.0
View Quote

Vote #5
View Quote

Yup.  Can't beat the price, either.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought RS3: Raven Shield for $25 bucks at Frys so I'mma give it a try.  I just don't like having to search around for servers that are empty or don't have enough players.

I like AA 2.0 but I'm having serious latency issues and it plays like a slideshow so, I'm not really down with it now.  I qualified expert at the range, just like I did when I was in Basic.  I'll give AA 2.0 another shot later during the Winter Break (have 6 weeks off in school and work).
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#15]
By far, Infiltration 2.86. (2.9 is in process.)

You must use sights,you must count rounds, and you must think before using a grenade..

Also, there are not swarms of unrealistic firearms. With the exception of the DE.357, all are well rendered..

Highly reccomended.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Mep, 2.9 hits the servers on Monday.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]
BF1942 and AA
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Red Orchestra for Unreal Tournament 2003,
Old school stuff!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Vote #6 for Americas Army 2.0 It rocks....
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone else have a problem with their frame rates dropping to slideshow level in some of the special forces levels?  I know I kind of have an older machine, but man not even max payne 2 killed my card like that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Inf is OK, not as polished as AA (but then again, for-free modders vs the US Army... Who has a bigger budget?)...

AA is great, but 2.0 required more PC than I had (right now, I'm between PCs. I sold mine to my sister, the new one is on backorder (promo from Intel thru work... $200 for a P4HT 3Ghz, XP Pro, and Intel mobo (all retail-box)... I'm gonna sell the copy of XP to pay for the replacement case and RAM)) This laptop can't even play CounterStrike well), the 'SF' levels are VERY hardware-intensive...

America's Army and Rainbow 6 both limit mobility to enforce realisim. No CounterStrike-style bunny-hopping, infinite running, etc... Also, no BF42/CS-style 'bullet-sponge' characters that could survive running in front of a firing MG at close range...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Yet another vote for AA. Though I cant play it anymore (dial-up), I would if I could.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
BF1942 and AA
View Quote

I agree with the above:
AA for very realistic gameplay and BF1942 for the just blowing stuff up. Try both or buy both,as the ARFCOM creed goes.[;)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I loved the Rainbow 6 games for the PC. Mine is a little slow to play RS3 and I am limited to 56K. Online play a few years ago kick ass!

I have a PS2. Bought Navy Seals 2 and could not get the hang of movement with the controler.

I like the mouse and keyboard for FPS.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#25]
If you want realism and teamwork, [url=www.americasarmy.com]Americas Army[/url]

If you want to play a highly overrated game that is about as realistic as NASCAR for Nintendo (Original), go play Counterstrike.

If you want all-out realism, expandability, teamwork, etc (Although not very new or popular, although version 2.0 is due out in the not too distant future)... play [url=http://www.flashpoint1985.com/]Operation Flashpoint[/url]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, my current computer isn't up to it right now for AA.  I'm building an Athlon 1.7ghz and still need a case, graphics card, sound card and hard drive.

Right now I'm on a T-bird 1.2Ghz with only 128MB RAM.  I'm getting another 128MB stick tomorrow.  I'll give AA another try tomorrow.  I still need a better graphics card.  Only have an Nvidia Geforce 2 at present....too many guns....not enough money to spend on computer hardware.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, if you guys want a first person shooter that will make you cry for more, go buy
Call of Duty, nothing like being able to go through three campains, U.S, Britain and the Russians during WWII.  This game is semi real, with a pray and spray approach. But if you are looking for a game with more realism, try Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, my current computer isn't up to it right now for AA.  I'm building an Athlon 1.7ghz and still need a case, graphics card, sound card and hard drive.

Right now I'm on a T-bird 1.2Ghz with only 128MB RAM.  I'm getting another 128MB stick tomorrow.  I'll give AA another try tomorrow.  I still need a better graphics card.  Only have an Nvidia Geforce 2 at present....too many guns....not enough money to spend on computer hardware.
View Quote

try playing on a 700 p3 with a gf2 pci.  :P
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for America's Army 2.0.  Not only is it the best game of its kind, but it's FREE!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#30]
All games mentioned are fine games. I personally like AA, but cant play it through my dorm's internet (too slow), love Operation Flashpoint, Global Operations is a lot of fun also. Call of Duty is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I swear I think when they made that game, they took a bunch of WWII movies and made games out of them (Enemy at the Gates comes to mind as one of them.)
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#31]
America's Army.  Great realism, great gameplay, great attention to detail.  Better have broadband though, no dial-up users need apply!

If you do the special forces training you get a user-customizable M4 on some missions which is a hell of alot of fun.  Most of us like to put the M203 underneath it.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19587[/img]

You shoot a bit more accurately if you actually use the iron sights.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19586[/img]

These screenshots were taken at low detail to enhance frames-per-second for online play.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you want realism and teamwork, [url=www.americasarmy.com]Americas Army[/url]

If you want to play a highly overrated game that is about as realistic as NASCAR for Nintendo (Original), go play Counterstrike.

If you want all-out realism, expandability, teamwork, etc (Although not very new or popular, although version 2.0 is due out in the not too distant future)... play [url=http://www.flashpoint1985.com/]Operation Flashpoint[/url]
View Quote

This is spot on!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I really like AA2, but I have way too many problems with lag and it keeps messing up my router.

I have not seen anyone else recommend this yet, but Soldier of Fortune 2 is awesome! The graphics are great and you can really turn up the gore. The multiplayer is one of the best that I have ever seen. The weapons selection and tactical reloads are worth the price alone.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#34]
When HalfLife 2 comes out, that thing is going to kick some major ass.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Operation Flashpoint is a great game. Really awesome sniper mode. Probably my all time favorite.

I just got Call of Duty, It is really good also. It'll remind you of the movie Saving Private Ryan. The MG42's are badass and you can get shell shocked just like the movie(SPR).

Blackhawk Down is fun. .50 Cal on the Hummer is a blast!

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Another vote for America's Army 2.0.  Not only is it the best game of its kind, but it's FREE!
View Quote

Another vote here.

It's not an "Arcade Game" with spray n pray, and quick respawns.

It is more of a combat simulator.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top