Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 1:23:48 AM EDT
Just got to looking at some websites, one of which was CandidatesonGuns.org, and I'm not feeling too good about 2004.  All of those candidates support the current ban, and want it strengthened.  It was able to pass in Congress before, what are the chances of it getting renewed?  Strengthened?

I've written my reps (I'm from Idaho, so it wasn't necessary, but I did anyways)and the Pres.  I'm doing what I can.

I think the ban will live.  I hope it won't get strengthened.

Then again, it could sunset.  Hopefully.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The AWB legislation carries a sunset provision so, by law, it will end next year.  The question is if the Republican controlled House of Representatives will pass a new AWB bill.  Nearly all political oddsmakers give huge odds against that happening.  Gun control is a losing issue for Republicans and any Democrat outside an urban area.  All Congressmen are up for re-election next year, so a majority to support a new AWB will be nearly impossible to assemble.

Of course, an outrageous event like Muhammed/Malvo teams springing up simulataneously all around the US could scare some Congressmen into 'doing something, anything' to address the threat.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Of course, an outrageous event like Muhammed/Malvo teams springing up simulataneously all around the US could scare some Congressmen into 'doing something, anything' to address the threat.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
View Quote

The irony of that statement is the sum-total of everything that’s wrong with this country.

If we are attacked by those that have made no secret about wishing to destroy and subjugate this nation the first reaction by the powers that be would be to disarm loyal Americans wishing to protect their country and way of life.

Now, if that doesn’t drive home how deep in shit we are, nothing in this universe will.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
As I understand it, consideration for renewal begins in the House of Representatives.  My Congressman has told me that this matter will not see the light of day, that it won't even make it out of committee.  So far he has been a good man, true to his word on issues we've communicated on.

We just have to keep this at the top of the priority list and be louder than the antis.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]
.................[beathorse]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top