Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 6:11:41 AM EDT
The thread on Spleefer Sutherland’s CYA message after the episode of 24 last night on the alleged dangers of emulating Russian Roulette got me a thinkin’ about Boondock Saints.

The first time I saw it was last week, and I was wondering aloud to a friend at work about it, saying I’m surprised that it didn’t do better in the theaters.  I was shocked to learn that it was never released due to it’s proximity to the Columbine tragedy (tragedy for people that is, killer ratings for the news media).

And then, thinking back to the movie – two social rejects in long dark coats going around shooting people in slow motion – it became incredibly obvious that had Hollywood actually released this right after Columbine that they’d of had new forms of censorious control yet un-thought of jammed down their throats, and hard.

Does anyone know exactly when Boondock Saints was scheduled for release?  (and for the record, I liked the movie)

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
No, but I am a card carrying addict! Cant wait for part II to come out. Should be soon!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]EXCELENT[/b] filck, but Willam Dafoe Scared me in that movie. He played the part a little bit too well.

echo6
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]
where can you find it?  The video places around here don't seem to have it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
where can you find it?  The video places around here don't seem to have it.
View Quote

I got my copy at Best Buy for $9.99
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The movie was only released theatrically in New York, Los Angeles, and Boston in the U.S. 1/20/2000. Columbine was what 8-9 months earlier?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]
FUCK! ASS!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
We dont need no fookin rope!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We dont need no fookin rope!
View Quote

[url]http://www.amfp.org/boondock/sounds/rop2.wav[/url]

[url]http://www.amfp.org/boondock/sounds/rightrambo.wav[/url]

[url]http://www.amfp.org/boondock/sounds/i'llgetrope.wav[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My two all time favorite parts!!

[url]http://www.amfp.org/boondock/sounds/codes.wav[/url]

[url]http://www.amfp.org/boondock/sounds/allthree.wav[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The movie was only released theatrically in New York, Los Angeles, and Boston in the U.S. 1/20/2000. Columbine was what 8-9 months earlier?
View Quote

I'd "heard" that the [i]original[/i] release date was May 1999.  Columbine = 20APR99.  Just trying to verify that.  And wondering why the parallels between the two weren't brought up more at the time?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[b]EXCELENT[/b] filck, but Willam Dafoe Scared me in that movie. He played the part a little bit too well.
View Quote

No kidding!  That was really weird.  It did crack me up when he called his butt-buddy a fag.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#14]
That movie sucked hard. It would've bombed at the box office, big time, whenever it came out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That movie sucked hard. It would've bombed at the box office, big time, whenever it came out.
View Quote

[b][red]SACRILIGE!![/red][/b]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b][red]BLASPHEMER!!!!![/RED][/b] After uttering such words one should rip out their own tongue with a pair of rusty pliars!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, I hate to do this, but I'm putting you in the same catagory as my wife. You just don't know a good movie when you see it.

When a "bad" movie comes on TV or I show up with a few new DVDs she just rolls her eyes.

Some other movies that are "bad" as per my wife.

Caddyshack
Airplane 1 & 2
Blues Brothers
Animal House
Stripes
Blazing Saddles
Any Monty Python flick
Super Troopers
Pulp Fiction
Resevoir Dogs
Austin Powers 1,2,3

She's got issues.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, I hate to do this, but I'm putting you in the same catagory as my wife. You just don't know a good movie when you see it.

When a "bad" movie comes on TV or I show up with a few new DVDs she just rolls her eyes.

Some other movies that are "bad" as per my wife.

Caddyshack
Airplane 1 & 2
Blues Brothers
Animal House
Stripes
Blazing Saddles
Any Monty Python flick
Super Troopers
Pulp Fiction
Resevoir Dogs
Austin Powers 1,2,3

She's got issues.
View Quote

She better be really good in the sack or rich. Otherwise you need to divorce her commie ass!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess I thought it was a pretty good movie.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd "heard" that the [i]original[/i] release date was May 1999.  Columbine = 20APR99.  Just trying to verify that.  And wondering why the parallels between the two weren't brought up more at the time?
View Quote

Yeah from I can gather it was supposed to be released in 1999 but there was a lot of arguing with distributors and Marimax who was going to do distribution never did. I think this was the reason behind the brief delayed release run and the quick jump to video rather than anything to do with Columbine.
I myself never thought of the parallels between the two other than I guess guns and long coats.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Great movie.

[url]www.netflix.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top