Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:59:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, but have any of you been through the pledgeship of PI KAPPA ALPHA?

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The quality control of Army BCT leaves this question hard to answer.  The quality standard for Army is of course much lower than Marines but the best of each is very close.

The one difference is swimming.  Very few Army cycles get any swimming training but I had the goo misfortune to get wet.  0300 on one bivouac a mighty thunderstorm flooded the site.  The few good Joes had their fartsacks stowed in the waterproof bag before the storm surge flushed camp.  We broke camp hastily with many soldiers losing gear but not one rifle.  Ever try road marching with saturated packs?  Saturated boots too.  

At NTC, we shared a mess with some Marines who offered a few PVT's for KP.  They were tasked with lighting the griddle one morning.  They didn't know they had light it with a match and waited for the griddle to get hot on gas flow alone-no flame.  Well, after 10 minutes, they asked and found out they had to use a match.  We told them "wait 5 minutes for the gas to clear".  5 minutes must have been confused with 5 seconds because shortly after there was a "WOOF" followed with an "OH CRAP" and other cries.  PFC Jar Head had removed his high and tight, eyebrows and facial hair by the flame method.  Complete with large areas of 1st and 2nd degree burns.  PVT Pyle then took first aid measures AGAINST OUR ADVICE of slathering the burn area with BUTTER.  Yes, straight from the refrigerator.  

When the meat wagon showed up, we had one crispy, buttered USMC PFC.  I pity what he got at the aide station.  Probably a surgerical scrub brush and betadine wash to the face before dressing with Silvadene creme.  We never talked about this with him afterward.

What is long and hard on a Marine?  2nd grade.  
View Quote

We did, we got swim training; called drown proofing; later on at my duty station we had to
wear some of our equipment, plus with rubber m16's and we had to jump in the deep and swim sideways at the deep end, plus jump off the high dive blindfolded holding an M16 jumped off into deep water that part was intimidating.

we also had to learn air assult(air assult school). most of the people that I trained with had the ranger tab most were air-borne qualified too. my platton leader 1st lue was
a ranger he was good at what he did. when we attack something a felt confident!

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:14:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We did, we got swim training; called drown proofing; later on at my duty station we had to
wear some of our equipment, plus with rubber m16's and we had to jump in the deep and swim sideways at the deep end, plus jump off the high dive blindfolded holding an M16 jumped off into deep water.

View Quote

Rubber huh? didnt fell like cleaning the real ones after. i did that too and it was kind of fun though tireing.

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:17:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wear some of our equipment, plus with rubber m16's and we had to jump in the deep and swim sideways at the deep end, plus jump off the high dive blindfolded holding an M16 jumped off into deep water.

View Quote

Rubber huh? didnt fell like cleaning the real ones after. i did that too and it was kind of fun though tireing.

[sniper2]
View Quote

I liked it! I am a fairly good swimmer though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
what unit are you in if you dont mind ?
[sniper2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I was in 1988 Bravo company 2 17  Ft- Richardson Alaska. a long time ago when I was 20, now I'am 36.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
cool
[sniper2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, but have any of you been through the pledgeship of PI KAPPA ALPHA?
View Quote

No, but I spend time around I ETTA PI.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top