Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 1:42:16 PM EDT
Has anyone used the "Shoot the Messenger" to shut of windows messenger? Is it safe?

www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
That was the program recommended.. I don't know about that particular link.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#2]

try here first
[url]http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_removal.htm[/url]
I prefer the last solution listed, rename the file
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You are referring to "Windows Messenger Service" and not "MS Messenger."  Correct?

For Win2000, WinXP:

1.  Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel).
2.  Double-click Administrative Tools.
3.  Double-click Services.
4.  Double-click Messenger.
5.  In the Startup type list, click Disabled.
6.  Click Stop, and then click OK.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't need that program to shut off the Messenger service!

Go need to go to the control panel and get to Administrative tools(XP you need to get to performance and maintenance then Administrative tools).  Now double click on Services, then scroll down to messenger.  Double click on it and a window will pop-up.  Now go to "Service type:" go to the list box and click on disabled.  Click apply down at the bottom.  Now go to service status and click on the stop button.

Now the messenger service is disabled!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It's for my Mom's computer. Whenever she has grandchildren and or nephews, they always turn on her messenger service. She wants me to disable it perminently. Is that possible?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "Messenger" do and why do we need to turn it off?

(I'm serious, what am I missing here?)
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Messenger is Windows Messenger or AOL Instant Messenger. It is a vile program that you can not easily remove from your computer.

In recent years hackers have exploited it to cause pop-up adds to appear while your computer is logged onto the internet.

Also, when someone is visiting and turns it on, they generally don't know how to turn it off. This always bothers my mother after one of her grandkids visits.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot the Messenger will shut-off the Windows Messenger [b]Service[/b].

[url]http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm[/url]  

"Windows Messenger Service

The first thing to understand is that the Windows Messenger Service is completely different from, and not in any way related to, "MSN Messenger", "Windows Messenger", or any other well-known instant messaging system. Therefore, disabling the Windows Messenger service will have no effect upon your use of any other instant messaging applications. They will continue to work without trouble."

If you want to prevent the "MSN/Windows Messenger" from running follow this procedure for an XP O/S:

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089[/url]

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
First, I haven't looked at any of these links. Two, I am an IT professional. Well, I play one at work. C, the EASIEST way to get rid of Messenger(NOT the Service, which you can simply turn off) is to right click on the Messenger icon in the system tray(if it is running) and close it, then rename the c:\Program Files\Messenger folder. Rename it anything. Poof, it's gone. No error messages no nuthing. I have used this method on MANY PC's. If someone tries the run Messenger(you should also delete the shortcuts) they will get NOTHING!!! Woohoo!

Microsoft sucks...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Or block it in the firewall, or just create an account that doesn't have access to it.  He should create a restricted account anyway so the kid doesn't reinstall it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top