Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 10:03:21 AM EDT
I've bought 2 of these discs with the little brushes for cleaning the lens of different cd players, dvd players, cd-roms and cd-rw and dvd/rw drives.
They work in all my cd players, dvd players, cd-rom drives, but the stupid burner won't read the damn thing.
HELP!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
c'mon, c'mon. Don't nobody know nothin around here?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
You are not supposed to clean or repair anything.

This is the disposable society, and your burner is probably obsolete anyway. Throw it away and go buy a new Chinese-manufactured burner. It will support their economy and contribute to the deficit, but what the hell. Go home with your new purchase (tossing it in the back of your Nissan*/Toyuta**/Hyundai/Suzuki) and pay it off in installments from your paycheck at WalMart. Pass the time waiting for this model to break by watching sitcoms and eating fat-laden fast food. Remember to vote for Hillary so she can clean up this mess Bush caused.

*If the defective wheels haven't killed you yet.

**Yes, I spelled it wrong. Being a typical modern American, I am too lazy to go back and edit it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comic reply, but what I really need is someone who can answer the fucking question.
I have two computers, with burners in each machine, and neither drive will read the 2 cleaning cds.
The cleaning cds work in both cd-rom/dvd drives, all 3 dvd players in the house, and 7 cd players I've used them in, but NOT the burners.
Why?
Bueller, Bueller?
Anyone, anyone?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to be a smart ass but how do you know it needs cleaning?

Kind of an idea is it the correct "format" for the burner?  (It might not matter but) DVD+RW, DVD-RW od whatever? I know there were some competing formats for a while and may still be, if it's reading it as the wrong format it might ignore it.

Can you lie to it and call it a music cd? and try and read it using a cd p playing program?  Get it to spin a few times trying to read it as a cd until it gets confused, you shouldn't need to spin it more than a few times to clean it anyway.

And not that I ever paid attention, but I read somewhere that you could defeat one of the copy protection schemes by coloring the outer edge with a marker.  Try that, I can't see that it can harm anything and you can clean it off if it doesn't work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top