RMR all the things.
What iron sights are you using?
Trijicon tritium suppressor sights.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does it work with weird eyes?

I guess I have astigmatism, though I don't need any contacts or glasses, no problem passing eye exams, but when I look at red dots, they look horrible.
View Quote
I have an astigmatism as well. I use a 12.9 MOA triangle and when my glasses are off it appears more as a circle.

Still highly visible and still faster than irons even with a little training.

Like a racecar, if you take the time to drive it right, you can go really fast. Most people who get into a race car could not drive it to its potential.

It takes practice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

An RMR does not make you accurate, but it lets you see your sight without focusing on multiple planes. It is easier for most people once they understand and practice the appropriate drills, etc.
View Quote
Partially right.

Good equipment will make you a better shot. RMR's are better equipment.

I am a damn good shot. Former USMC Primary Marksmanship and State LEO instructor. I now work at a local gun store/range. I shoot something every day. I shoot 150 rounds minimum a week from my RMR'd EDC. I have been shooting an RMR'd G19 EDC for 11 years now starting on my 50th birthday.

I shoot a wide variety of customers guns throughout the day diagnosing both equipment and end user issues.

I promise you...good equipment will yield better results. I can keep all hits inside the  9-10 ring with a High Point at 15 yards. I can keep all of them inside the X ring at 15 yards with a CZ Shadow II with irons. If I slow down it's one ragged hole with an RMR 09 on the same Shadow II.

With my EDC G19 and RMR 07 I can hit like the video above at 100 yds offhand 100% of the time and about 1/3 of the time on the 200 yd steel. I can hit nearly 100% at 200 with an RMR'd G34 and RMR 09 (1moa dot) from a supported position.

I have taken students with ZERO shooting experience and 15-30 minutes of instruction and had them hitting 9-10 ring at 10 yds with a SIG 226 Legion with irons and then swapped over to a 226 Legion RX (Romeo 1) and then watch them punch consistent X ring shots. Not going to do that with Taurus G2. Again better equipment yields better results.

RMR WILL MAKE MOST PEOPLE BETTER SHOOTERS. NOT ALL...MOST.

As part of my sales responsibility I ZERO brand new SIG 320 RX's for their new owners, 95% of whom have never shot an RMR'd gun. Within 10 minutes I can have them hitting dime size dots at 10 yards. Try that with irons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The hardest part is breaking decades of training that told us to focus on the front sight.

With a RMR you are, for all practical purposes, point shooting.  Focus on the target and the Red Dot will be Right There!  In many ways we're finding that its just like the training issues we had in the military when the Aimpoints and EoTechs began to appear in the mid/late 90s for our M16s and M4s.  Since the beginning of U.S. Army Musketry Regulations, soldiers were trained that sight-alignment & sight-picture with a hard focus of the front sight was the method to be used.  Red Dots completely flipped that around to keeping the target in focus and driving the "tube" that will have the red dot on the target.

However, with handguns there seems to be an additional "training scar" to overcome when presenting the firearm.

We are all so accustomed to draw, rotate, and then pushout to focus on the front sight.  Doing so we develop a habit over time of having the front of the handgun just a little minuscule bit high in order to drop the front sight into the rear sight notch as we finish the presentation.  Its our visual acuity driving our hands since our brain though training is telling us that we must focus on the front sight as quick as possible.

Now with a RMR we see the handgun in front of us - - - but no red-dot - - - because our training scar has us looking for that front sight and the handgun is just a tiny bit pointed up.  You drop the front of the gun and there is the red-dot right on the target that you should have been focusing on to begin with when using a RMR.

It's like watching a 1911 shooter firing a Glock and they realize their aim in high due the incorrect Gaston Glock grip angle (John Moses Browning grip angle being settled science).

So we have to start training to hard focus on the target when using a RMR pistol.  It is an interesting challenge within the training  community because now if you have mixed iron-sight and RMR shooters in a class your methods of instruction must change.

TLDR = With a RMR focus on the target for hits.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you carry it?  Looks like a lot of bulk.
@LS1Powered

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113559/88B0FC09-0B24-48E2-A6D6-0CEB7D21946F_jpeg-751556.JPG
Adding an RMR does NOTHING effecting carrying.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How does it work with weird eyes?

I guess I have astigmatism, though I don't need any contacts or glasses, no problem passing eye exams, but when I look at red dots, they look horrible.
View Quote
Odd.

I have an astigmatism bad enough to where I need contacts to get 20/20. Red dots only start to give me an issue if I sit there and stare at the dot without blinking(usually a tail will start to form on the dot) But under normal use when shooting I never have any problems, my carry guns are RMR'd as well.

This is with my contacts in... but surprised with that mild astigmatism you have any issues at all.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Odd.

I have an astigmatism bad enough to where I need contacts to get 20/20. Red dots only start to give me an issue if I sit there and stare at the dot without blinking(usually a tail will start to form on the dot) But under normal use when shooting I never have any problems, my carry guns are RMR'd as well.

This is with my contacts in... but surprised with that mild astigmatism you have any issues at all.
View Quote
I have no problem reading, passing eye tests, driving, short and far vision. Iron sights 100+ yards is no problem.

But put a red dot scope in front of me? It looks like a red explosion all over the place.

ETA: Maybe it's not astigmatism (I was basing it on reading stuff online,) knowing me I have some sort of horrible thing wrong with my eyes that's going to ruin my life down the road, and doctors have no name for it currently

I have an old red LCD clock and outside of 10 yards I can't read it, either. Maybe it's something to do with colors.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
RMR all things!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I live in Chicago...So take my experience with self defense shootings with a grain of salt. I must ask..Since most armed altercations are like seconds long and at very short distances. How in the hell do you guys have the time and distance to draw turn on a light acquire a sight picture and shoot. I carry a G26 and train point shooting. Don't even look at the sights.
View Quote
You practice.

Not being a smartass, that's just what it is. When I practice with my CZ, I draw, and as the sights come into view the light goes on. I don't care if it's day or night, I'm working on making that switch completely automatic. As for the sights, I practice going to sights every single time. I may not use them, but I'm going to line them right up and go for it. I'll practice both going straight to the front sight, as well as just focusing on the target and then holding where I presented to check and see where I'm actually aiming. My "point shooting" used to be quite a ways off, but at this point I'm nearly to having the exact same POA regardless of if I go to sights or target focus.

The advantage of the RMR is that it allows you to target-focus and see your sights. On irons, because there's three focal planes (rear sight, front sight, target), I have to pick one to look at. With a dot, you just look at the target and your dot floats in your view nigh perfectly.

Using irons means you have to point-shoot if you want to see the target, and you have to lose focus on the target if you want to see your sights. Using an RMR means you can focus on the target and essentially point shoot while still seeing the target.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]
For those with A-Stig.

Run either an adjustable RMR 06, 07 or 09. Dial down brightness until you have the clearest, cleanest dot for your eyes.

Or, use the dual illumination RMR's they seem to have the least impact on A-Stig users.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]
@corrosionguy

RMR behind rear sight is the way to go.

- interferes with less non-optic cut holsters (don't gotta buy more holsters)
- no lube/carbon clouding rmr glass from ejection port (increased distance from ejection port)
- rear sight doesn't eat up any Rmr window (dot can be superimposed over rear when sight is in front)
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I was carrying a 19 with RMR but my 26 with mepro bullseye sights carries so much better. I've pretty much abandoned the 19.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm assuming they're sturdy enough to sit on / against if you carry at 4:30 IWB and they don't get all whacked out of tune?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was carrying a 19 with RMR but my 26 with mepro bullseye sights carries so much better. I've pretty much abandoned the 19.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/264774/IMG_20181126_112331_jpg-751592.JPG
View Quote
Played with one. Neat toy
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/264774/IMG_20181126_112331_jpg-751592.JPG
Why do you say that? I was skeptical at first, but I've practiced a ton and am just as fast or faster than irons
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#17]
The thing that is holding me back is getting out of an air conditioned car into 700% humidity like we have down here and it fogging up instantly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@corrosionguy

- no lube/carbon clouding rmr glass from ejection port (increased distance from ejection port)
- rear sight doesn't eat up any Rmr window (dot can be superimposed over rear when sight is in front)
View Quote
irons-forward master race

everyone swears I'm doing it wrong, but I much prefer the rear sight in front of the RMR
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here is a solution for those who don't want to spend the money to mill your slide. The Dueck Defense mounts are about $150 for trits and $125 without. I have a milled slide as well, and I don't see any practical difference in speed or target acquisition.

I don't even have backup sights on my milled slide.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432675/DUECK_DEFENSE_G45_jpg-751563.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432675/RMR_2_G45_jpg-751565.JPG
View Quote
Jesus, did he collaborate with beowulFX on that thing? That height over bore though..
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Still waiting for a rmr sized for subcompact pistols and I’ll throw one on my 365.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You practice.

Not being a smartass, that's just what it is. When I practice with my CZ, I draw, and as the sights come into view the light goes on. I don't care if it's day or night, I'm working on making that switch completely automatic. As for the sights, I practice going to sights every single time. I may not use them, but I'm going to line them right up and go for it. I'll practice both going straight to the front sight, as well as just focusing on the target and then holding where I presented to check and see where I'm actually aiming. My "point shooting" used to be quite a ways off, but at this point I'm nearly to having the exact same POA regardless of if I go to sights or target focus.

The advantage of the RMR is that it allows you to target-focus and see your sights. On irons, because there's three focal planes (rear sight, front sight, target), I have to pick one to look at. With a dot, you just look at the target and your dot floats in your view nigh perfectly.

Using irons means you have to point-shoot if you want to see the target, and you have to lose focus on the target if you want to see your sights. Using an RMR means you can focus on the target and essentially point shoot while still seeing the target.
View Quote
Most self defense is within feet...Like 3 or 4 feet....You need lights and dots and sights to put shots center mass at those distances? I'm not trying to be a smart ass either....But really? I'm not getting all the hype when ranges are that close.   Maybe for a nightstand gun. That I could see.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Still waiting for a rmr sized for subcompact pistols and I’ll throw one on my 365.
View Quote
Shield RMS
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is a learning curve like all things.

It’s like riding a moped all your life and then getting on a sport bike.

The sport bike requires more skill than the moped, however, once you learn, the sport bike can do things the moped could
never do.

If you will not put the time into practice don’t bother with a red dot on top. If you do, great things will happen.

Used this for my CCW course on Saturday. Was able to shoot center mass a hair faster than my regular iron G19. And I’ve only shot this pistol 3 times and put in less than 150 rounds.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/227F719F-1ED0-4F3E-8A13-A71DF5037F06_jpeg-751541.JPG
View Quote
Why is there a pencil in this picture? In the trigger guard no less...
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most self defense is within feet...Like 3 or 4 feet....You need lights and dots and sights to put shots center mass at those distances? I'm not trying to be a smart ass either....But really? I'm not getting all the hype when ranges are that close.   Maybe for a nightstand gun. That I could see.
View Quote
Can you still “point shoot” (a stupid and outdated concept imo but that’s for another time) a pistol with a light and dot on it?  Yes.

Why carry and build a gun based on the concept of “I’m only going to need it at 4 feet” when you can carry a gun that will work just as well at 4 feet but will also be more effective at a greater distance?

You shouldn’t limit your carry gun or your training based on how you think your gunfight is going to go.

If all you train for is 4 feet and your self defense encounter happens at 10 yards, you’ve done yourself no favors training for what you think is “most likely”.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jesus, did he collaborate with beowulFX on that thing? That height over bore though..
View Quote
It just doesn't make much difference. It shoots about 1 inch low at 10 yards since it is zeroed at 25 yards.

@bjohnson425
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m really leaning towards putting a red dot on one of my pistols to get practice with.

I took a great handgun cover/movement class a couple months ago; people even younger than me (at 47) were saying they were going to RMR their guns to help speed their shots up.

I did alright in the class but I find I’m getting my reading glasses out more and more these days. It’s only a matter of time til my monkey arms are not long enough for me to read things.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@corrosionguy

View Quote
It is rare for me to find an RMR person who admits to that.

I admit I tried to jump on the bandwagon.  I bought an FNX 45 Tactical and put an adjsutable LED RMR on it.  After 1 range trip I knew it wasn't for me and a big part of that was how much oil/carbon was spewed onto the glass.  I sold both the gun and optic and never looked back.

Any time I bring that experience up though the BS flag gets waved it seems.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Can you still “point shoot” (a stupid and outdated concept imo but that’s for another time) a pistol with a light and dot on it?  Yes.

Why carry and build a gun based on the concept of “I’m only going to need it at 4 feet” when you can carry a gun that will work just as well at 4 feet but will also be more effective at a greater distance?

You shouldn’t limit your carry gun or your training based on how you think your gunfight is going to go.

If all you train for is 4 feet and your self defense encounter happens at 10 yards, you’ve done yourself no favors training for what you think is “most likely”.
View Quote
The correct answer is you should be able to point shoot (on the move) when necessary, controlled pair when necessary along with precision type shots. failure to become proficient at all 3 is a mistake. Chances are that if I need to use my CCW at defense ranges I will not be using the sights.

The only problem I have with RMR's on pistols is when people use them instead of training. They don't do anything more than a couple thousand rounds of ammo will do for most shooters.

For the record I have pistols with both optics and irons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You practice.

That is my opinion also.  I practice for CCW out to 21’.  At that distance just having a firearm drawn and pointed out the perp should de-escalate the situation

If they are closing on you you probably won’t have time to drawl and get the sights at eye level. I work on keeping them back with my left arm and shooting from the mid torso or hip

If I am able I do prefer to shoot with sights but plan for both
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have to carry the thing...Weight and size are an issue....At 10 yards i can hit very well with irons..Past that we are now moving from self defense to manslaughter. If i have no limits on what i can use to defend myself. A handgun would not be my first choice anyways. Also if i could open carry in a good holster...Than hanging stuff off the gun would be more practical i would think.

And just so we are clear.............I do not only train for 4 feet.....It's a reality that more self defense shootings happen very close and very fast versus John Wick....So being proficient at close range is important to me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
People on this very site once said the same thing about smartphones.

Then they were proven wrong.

Welcome to progress!
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
People on this very site once said the same thing about smartphones.

Then they were proven wrong.

Welcome to progress!
View Quote
A smartphone does little in a self defense situation beyond calling 911....Smartphones could cease to exist and short of my daughters wailing cries of " How am I going to keep up with everyone" I couldn't care less
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is rare for me to find an RMR person who admits to that.

I admit I tried to jump on the bandwagon.  I bought an FNX 45 Tactical and put an adjsutable LED RMR on it.  After 1 range trip I knew it wasn't for me and a big part of that was how much oil/carbon was spewed onto the glass.  I sold both the gun and optic and never looked back.

Any time I bring that experience up though the BS flag gets waved it seems.
View Quote
Might try using touchscreen protection film. Cut it to size and apply to eject port side glass. Dispose and replace as needed. Works for my WML as well though I’ve never tried it out on the higher lumen models.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 19 without RMR and 17 with one.

The RMR rocks for shooting with night vision, shooting at distance, and making tiny, tiny groups. I love it but I don't know if I want to put one on my 19 for EDC.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because I don't want to bet on "most," if I did then I wouldn't carry a gun at all and have a much easier time going to the bathroom. "Most" self defense happens within 7yds or so, but if you think about how averages work, it's technically possible that not a single self defense situation has happened at that range.

I generally work to stay out of areas that would make it more likely to get into close-quarters nastiness. I'm generally more concerned at something happening at any one of the few large buildings I'm at throughout the week, where I could easily be looking at a 15+yd shot.

Am I an outlier? Maybe. But outliers do exist, whether you're dumping a full mag onto a guy at 0yds or you're that one officer that took a shot at 104yds with his handgun. I'd rather not bet on being in close ranges and then get stuck lacking at longer distances, when I can set myself up for longer distances and lose nothing at close distances.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have to carry the thing...Weight and size are an issue....
View Quote
Shifting goal posts.

You weren't saying it was too big to carry.

You were questioning why anyone would need a light or a dot on a gun when all you would ever need to do for self defense is "point shoot".

I was saying that even though you shouldn't "point shoot" because it's stupid, you can do that with a gun that has a light or a red dot just as well as you can with a gun that doesn't have either, and then do more besides.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The correct answer is you should be able to point shoot (on the move) when necessary, controlled pair when necessary along with precision type shots. failure to become proficient at all 3 is a mistake. Chances are that if I need to use my CCW at defense ranges I will not be using the sights.
View Quote
Do you compete?

I've tried "point shooting" on the move, on a timer and on scored targets.  A flash sight picture, even a terrible one, is superior to point shooting.  If it's slower than point shooting it's by a tenth or two of a second if that, and I always get better hits with a flash sight picture than I do just point shooting.

Planning on not using your sights for self defense is a really, really terrible plan.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Shifting goal posts.

You weren't saying it was too big to carry.

You were questioning why anyone would need a light or a dot on a gun when all you would ever need to do for self defense is "point shoot".

I was saying that even though you shouldn't "point shoot" because it's stupid, you can do that with a gun that has a light or a red dot just as well as you can with a gun that doesn't have either, and then do more besides.
View Quote
Ok lets move the goal posts to where you would like them... I asked if you need lights sights and dots to hit something 4 feet away....Well do ya??
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do you compete?

I've tried "point shooting" on the move, on a timer and on scored targets.  A flash sight picture, even a terrible one, is superior to point shooting.  If it's slower than point shooting it's by a tenth or two of a second if that, and I always get better hits with a flash sight picture than I do just point shooting.

Planning on not using your sights for self defense is a really, really terrible plan.
View Quote
Now thats funny....No one plans to never use their sights ever...And you obviously think real life your are going to be running and gunning like John Wick..Cause thats how you train  
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ok lets move the goal posts to where you would like them... I asked if you need lights sights and dots to hit something 4 feet away....Well do ya??
View Quote

Some horses can't be taught to drink water.

Even if you drown them in it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Now thats funny....No one plans to never use their sights ever...And you obviously think real life your are going to be running and gunning like John Wick..Cause thats how you train  
View Quote
If you have no experience or training, I can see why you're stuck on the things that seem to be tripping you up and having to reference movies.

Go take a class.  Shoot a competition.  You'll have fun, I promise.  And maybe learn something.  Maybe.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#42]

My Gen 4 Glock 19 with Primary Machine Stealth Comp and Lone Wolf Barrel
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Some horses can't be taught to drink water.

Even if you drown them in it.
View Quote
Oh my bad i didn't know you were ARFCOM's resident firearms instructor....Please give me a detailed list of what i should hang off my my daily carry pistol to make me a most Superior Gun fighter like you
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm currently considering going RMR.  Just not sure about the whole battery thing though.  I know they are supposed to last a year and all.

Now if they had Aimpoint like battery life I'd be all in.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Here is a solution for those who don't want to spend the money to mill your slide. The Dueck Defense mounts are about $150 for trits and $125 without. I have a milled slide as well, and I don't see any practical difference in speed or target acquisition.

I don't even have backup sights on my milled slide.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432675/DUECK_DEFENSE_G45_jpg-751563.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432675/RMR_2_G45_jpg-751565.JPG
View Quote
Is that a rear sight that has an RMR plate connected to it (1 piece) that sits on top of the slide?

If so, and it's stable, that's pretty genius.  Does it hold zero well?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Partially right.

Good equipment will make you a better shot. RMR's are better equipment.

I am a damn good shot. Former USMC Primary Marksmanship and State LEO instructor. I now work at a local gun store/range. I shoot something every day. I shoot 150 rounds minimum a week from my RMR'd EDC. I have been shooting an RMR'd G19 EDC for 11 years now starting on my 50th birthday.

I shoot a wide variety of customers guns throughout the day diagnosing both equipment and end user issues.

I promise you...good equipment will yield better results. I can keep all hits inside the  9-10 ring with a High Point at 15 yards. I can keep all of them inside the X ring at 15 yards with a CZ Shadow II with irons. If I slow down it's one ragged hole with an RMR 09 on the same Shadow II.

With my EDC G19 and RMR 07 I can hit like the video above at 100 yds offhand 100% of the time and about 1/3 of the time on the 200 yd steel. I can hit nearly 100% at 200 with an RMR'd G34 and RMR 09 (1moa dot) from a supported position.

I have taken students with ZERO shooting experience and 15-30 minutes of instruction and had them hitting 9-10 ring at 10 yds with a SIG 226 Legion with irons and then swapped over to a 226 Legion RX (Romeo 1) and then watch them punch consistent X ring shots. Not going to do that with Taurus G2. Again better equipment yields better results.

RMR WILL MAKE MOST PEOPLE BETTER SHOOTERS. NOT ALL...MOST.

As part of my sales responsibility I ZERO brand new SIG 320 RX's for their new owners, 95% of whom have never shot an RMR'd gun. Within 10 minutes I can have them hitting dime size dots at 10 yards. Try that with irons.
View Quote
Do you give training/tips over the internet?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm currently considering going RMR.  Just not sure about the whole battery thing though.  I know they are supposed to last a year and all.

Now if they had Aimpoint like battery life I'd be all in.
View Quote
FWIW, I replace mine every year out of an abundance of caution. I've never had a battery die in an RMR within my one year battery change cycle.

I don't own an Aimpoint, but I do the same on the MRO on my go-to carbine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh my bad i didn't know you were ARFCOM's resident firearms instructor....Please give me a detailed list of what i should hang off my my daily carry pistol to make me a most Superior Gun fighter like you
View Quote
You don't have to hang shit off your gun to be a good shooter.  You just have to shoot it more than you bang on your keyboard.   I'm also far from Arfcoms resident instructor.  But I am an instructor, one of many on this site.  I'm also a lifetime student.  As a student who doesn't know everything, it's easy to recognize someone arguing from a position of inexperience, because I've done it myself in the past.  You'd be doing yourself a huge favor by arguing with me less and signing up for a class or a competition.  Don't take my word for it.  Get out there and do some shooting.

I know that's harder than staying ignorant and snarky with a stranger online, but.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I can't afford to shoot Open and Carry Optics is gay so I'm sticking with the front sight for now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Because I don't want to bet on "most," if I did then I wouldn't carry a gun at all and have a much easier time going to the bathroom. "Most" self defense happens within 7yds or so, but if you think about how averages work, it's technically possible that not a single self defense situation has happened at that range.

I generally work to stay out of areas that would make it more likely to get into close-quarters nastiness. I'm generally more concerned at something happening at any one of the few large buildings I'm at throughout the week, where I could easily be looking at a 15+yd shot.

Am I an outlier? Maybe. But outliers do exist, whether you're dumping a full mag onto a guy at 0yds or you're that one officer that took a shot at 104yds with his handgun. I'd rather not bet on being in close ranges and then get stuck lacking at longer distances, when I can set myself up for longer distances and lose nothing at close distances.
View Quote
Your requirements are obviously different than mine. I'm not going into active shooter situations in large buildings. I carry a small; easy to conceal pistol for personal protection. Adding bulk and weight to it unless absolutely necessary is not something i feel the need for. Law enforcement Armed security. Combat....Large pistol with light attached and possibly a dot may be the ticket. Which i would not be concealing under a tee shirt.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top