Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 4:08:06 AM EDT
Anyone know what the penalty is for early withdraw of Roth IRA?  I may or may not have a job soon, and if worse comes to worse, I might have to do that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's pretty bad.  You'll have to pay a 10% 'penalty' on top of the money being treated as 'income' and taxed accordingly.  I don't know about state taxes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the IRA less than 5 years old?  If so there's no penalty.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is the IRA less than 5 years old?  If so there's no penalty.
View Quote

Does this apply to all IRAs or just Roth IRAs?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
When do I pay income tax on a Roth IRA?

Per Vanguard's Website [url=http://www.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw/PersonalHome]Vanguard Website[/url] and a search on 'withdraw ROTH"

"Never—if you wait to withdraw investment earnings until after you turn age 59½ and you’ve owned a Roth IRA for the required 5-year minimum holding period. You can withdraw your contributions tax-free at any time.

But if you withdraw earnings before you reach age 59½ or you haven’t met the required minimum holding period, then you’ll have to pay income tax and usually a 10% federal penalty tax. (The penalty doesn't apply if you become disabled or if you die and the withdrawal goes to your estate or beneficiary.)"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top