Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/25/2003 4:01:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:34:39 AM EDT
Works like a motherfucker. I wear it in the field. They have the t-shirts in Army Brown so you can't even tell it's not one of the cotton death shirts.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:37:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2003 6:59:59 AM EDT by u-baddog]
Yes it works. There are better products out there for normal wear. I have found this is a good Cat to order from I have a bunch of T shirts both long and short sleeve and long johns made out of this stuff "Duofold and Coolmax" for wicking It cant be beat. [url]http://www.performancebike.com/shop/category.cfm?Category_ID=5[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:40:43 AM EDT
It is gaining popularity in football, that much is certain.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:46:25 AM EDT
Yes it works, I have used it in hot ass florida 90degrees, and I jus used it on the SE campout , which it got down to 30degrees.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:56:09 AM EDT
Bicyclists, and hikers have been useing stuff like that for years. Works great! It wicks moisture away from your skin, which also keeps you warmer in cold weather. I have shirts and pants.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:59:29 AM EDT
I wear heatgear (long and short sleeve) and coldgear shirts. I hardly wear cotton t shirts anymore, but heat gear is a bit pricy: Cold gear is even more pricy. Jay
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:01:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:41:27 AM EDT
I use UA and Nike Dri-Fit gear for hiking, camping and workouts. It's great stuff. "Cotton kills" when it comes to cold weather hiking or camping so look hard at UA or any other polyester type clothing if you partake in such activities. (Note: polyester does not mean you can ignore proper layering and ventilation during cold weather activities; you just have more leeway than with cotton) Lightfighter.com has the UA gear for less than list; problem is the backorder wait (I'm on a 2 month wait for my latest UA order).
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:54:30 AM EDT
I like it for snowboarding, keeps me warm
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:14:54 AM EDT
My favorite moisture wicking fabric is Coolmax by Dupont. It's a great fiber that uses a combination of material property and fiber architecture (yeah the specific cross sectional shape of the fibers is designed to channel moisture) make it wick like crazy. Duofold makes good stuff, so does Patagonia. Just about all of it is good, just leave the cotton at home. Cotton long johns are good for stadium sitting, that's about it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:51:33 AM EDT
The Golden Knights love the stuff and looking for "sponsorship" from the company. They cant endorse the product per se, but they want some free stuff. I personnaly have never worn it but my friends on the Knights swear by it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:09:47 AM EDT
I have no experience with it, however, I second the comments about cotton. I recently read an article on this company, and they are engaged in a deliberate strategy to NOT use star athelete endoresements. Many pro football players wear the stuff, but some team endorsement contracts prohibit the display of other logos. The movie Any Given Sunday has a lot of this product in it. You can order it from Cabela's
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:05:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By icemanat95: My favorite moisture wicking fabric is Coolmax by Dupont. It's a great fiber that uses a combination of material property and fiber architecture (yeah the specific cross sectional shape of the fibers is designed to channel moisture) make it wick like crazy. Duofold makes good stuff, so does Patagonia. Just about all of it is good, just leave the cotton at home. Cotton long johns are good for stadium sitting, that's about it.
View Quote
Aimless: If you put polypro/synthetics under cotton, the cotton will still load with moisture, which ruins the insulating capabilities of the layer. Cotton is evil. Cotton can kill you. As Ice points out, Duofold and Patagonia make good stuff, as does Wickers, Kenyon and a few others. The real issue is its a synthetic (polypro that wont hold moisture. I personally prefer Patagonia Capilene Silkweight - its the most comfortable to me - but its pricey. You can layer other stuff over it. You can find Duofold stuff at discount catalogs, like Sierra Trading Post, nearly as cheap as the cotton waffle from Kmart. Just bought some Expedition weight stuff from them, Kenyon I think, for $13 bucks a piece. REI has the best prices on Capilene Ive seen. Smartwools put out some stuff lately; I like wool but not for a base layer. Some swear by silk but its serious costly and I dont like it as much. Very durable tho. There was a good thread a while ago on this in the survival section, including layering, venting etc. If MuadDib's around, maybe he can dredge it up. He's a like mind on this subject. Luck Alac
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:54:55 PM EDT
They sell Underarmor at the PX here, and it's a lot cheaper than ordering it. The last shirt I bought (brown short sleeve) cost me 18 bucks. I have been tempted to try the underwear too, would probably cut down on the sweaty sticky field balls.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:00:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin: It is gaining popularity in football, that much is certain.
View Quote
My son plays football for his high school, and he has a collection of underarmor shirts, both long sleeve and sleeveless. When the season starts, you wear the sleveless as it is very hot, and he says it works in keeping the sweat off your body. Towards the end of the season, like now, when you start practicing in 30 and 40 degree weather, wear the long sleeve and it keeps you warm. Firsthand account of a success story. I guess it works.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:05:03 PM EDT
Be sure to keep yourselves hydrated while you are wearing moisture absorbing clothing. You lose body water fast with this type of gear, especially in the cold....
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:30:31 PM EDT
Another hearty endorsement. It's 34 degrees with a light wind in Northeast Ohio and I just ran 30 minutes wearing an UnderArmor Coldgear shirt, CoolMax shorts, illumiNITE pants and jacket and a fleece hat and worked up a good sweat. Heard the story of the guy who founded the UnderArmour company this morning on NPR. Real American Dream type story. Man has idea for superior product, works long and hard for a couple years and makes good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:46:36 PM EDT
Doesn't it make your body armor carrier stink faster? I haven't tried it under body armor but I would GUESS it would pass all the sweat onto the carrier. I rather launder my t-shirts than my carrier.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:51:59 PM EDT
I play softball in it, and have hunted in it. I was caught off guard one night on the softball field and had on a longsleeve UnderArmour shirt a cotton t-shirt over that. It started to build up to a small storm. It got windy, the temp dropped about 15 degrees to 45-50 and then it started raining. Not hard enough to call the game but hard enough to soak my cotton t-shirt wet and enough to saturate the wool baseball hat I wore. I was warm the entire time, even though I was soaked. I did have to break down and put on a windbreaker over the t-shirt and underarmour.... but that was because the wind was unbearable. I was still warm by the time I got home. I never realized I was soaking wet. It work VERY well. I wear the ColdGear under my hunting stuff now, and wore ColdGear under my softball stuff for the fall league 30-50 degrees and varying wind and rainy conditions. Always warm. What's weird is that even when the temps start to rise, the thinner shirts {not ColdGear} actually seem to regulate with your temp and keep you just right. The only time I got too hot while wearing underarmour was when the temp spiked up to 75 on a day that was supposed to be 60, cloudy and possible showers..... YMMV......but this UnderArmour shit works VERY WELL........
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:53:30 PM EDT
It does abuse your nipples until you get used to it.......especially the ColdGear. It's not nearly as soft as other solutions, but I don't think other solutions work nearly as well.......
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:57:52 PM EDT
Underarmor is kinda like something I found... CoolMax. Check out www.sweatitout.com. They make some good stuff using that fiber. And it does work. Soak the shirt and hang it. It will be dry in an hour. Do the same with a cotton shirt, it won't be dry for maybe 10 hours!
Top Top