Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/25/2003 3:55:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2003 3:58:48 AM EDT by StariVojnik]
LESSON NO. 1 : NEVER, NEVER FIRE YOUR GUN INTO THE AIR!!! HERE's why....

Participant at KKK initiation wounded after shots fired into sky
Tuesday, November 25, 2003 Posted: 12:21 AM EST (0521 GMT)

JOHNSON CITY, Tennessee (AP) -- A bullet fired in the air during a Ku Klux Klan initiation ceremony came down and struck a participant in the head, critically injuring him, authorities said.

Gregory Allen Freeman, 45, was charged with aggravated assault and reckless endangerment in the Saturday night incident that wounded Jeffery S. Murr, 24.

About 10 people, including two children, had gathered for the ceremony. The man who was being initiated was blindfolded, tied with a noose to a tree and shot with paintball guns as Freeman fired a pistol in the air to provide the sound of real gunfire, Sheriff Fred Phillips said.

A bullet struck Murr on the top of the head and exited at the bottom of his skull, authorities said.

Freeman fled the ceremony but was arrested near his home, authorities said. He was released on $7,500 bail.

{Obviously, common sense hasn't reached this part of the country yet}
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:59:25 AM EDT
Maybe he should have emptied the magazine. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:01:20 AM EDT
Comedian this morning aren't we? LOL! Yeah he should have emptied it!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:02:41 AM EDT
And the stupid herd is *almost* thinned some more...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:08:21 AM EDT
Dupe thread. IBTL
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:19:05 AM EDT
Darwinism knocked on the door, but nobody was home.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:28:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights: Dupe thread. IBTL
View Quote
DAMN! You beat me to it. IBTL+1
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:50:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2003 4:52:43 AM EDT by newar15guy]
that's not possible. a bullet, fired from any gun accelerates as the vector sum of both the gunpowder, which propells it from the barrel, air friction, and gravity which pulls it toward the earth. if a bullet is fired directly up, it's acceleration is still based on the same vector sum, however the coordinates are different. in this case the bullet slows until it stops (as gravity pulls back at it along with the friction of the air). then it begins to accelerate back towards earth. eventually though, it will reach terminal velocity as any free-falling body will. (i believe the distance it takes to reach terminal velocity is only like 33 ft.) the bullet WILL NOT surpass this velocity without an extra boost of some sort. since it has none, it just falls back to earth at about the same speed it would if you throw it into the air. it will not return at the same speed it left. this is like the old myth of dropping a penny off the empire state building and having it go 5 feet into the pavement when it hits. this assumes that the penny accelerates unbounded until it reaches the ground below, which it doesn't. neither this story, or the ability to drive a penny into the ground by dropping it from a building are true. without doing any math i'd say it's return velocity would be pretty useless. maybe enough to give you a bump on the head, but that's it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:57:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:14:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By newar15guy: that's not possible. a bullet, fired from any gun accelerates as the vector sum of both the gunpowder, which propells it from the barrel, air friction, and gravity which pulls it toward the earth. if a bullet is fired directly up, it's acceleration is still based on the same vector sum, however the coordinates are different. in this case the bullet slows until it stops (as gravity pulls back at it along with the friction of the air). then it begins to accelerate back towards earth. eventually though, it will reach terminal velocity as any free-falling body will. (i believe the distance it takes to reach terminal velocity is only like 33 ft.) the bullet WILL NOT surpass this velocity without an extra boost of some sort. since it has none, it just falls back to earth at about the same speed it would if you throw it into the air. it will not return at the same speed it left. this is like the old myth of dropping a penny off the empire state building and having it go 5 feet into the pavement when it hits. this assumes that the penny accelerates unbounded until it reaches the ground below, which it doesn't. neither this story, or the ability to drive a penny into the ground by dropping it from a building are true. without doing any math i'd say it's return velocity would be pretty useless. maybe enough to give you a bump on the head, but that's it.
View Quote
You are not correct, sir. It is well documented that falling bullets cause severe dents/punctures in cars, stick into roofs, and yes, injure and occasionally kill people who are bonked on the head. You are right that they do not reach very "fast" speeds, but a bullet of any heft will be a thing of reckoning upon its return to earth.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:14:19 AM EDT
Maybe some old retired panthers rented a plane and paid back the good old boys? Terminal velocity my eye!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:15:42 AM EDT
I dunno what more whackyier, firing your gun in the air like a fool or being tied up with a noose around your neck being shot to pieces with a paint-ball gun. priceless!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:03:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Camp_Ninja:
Originally Posted By newar15guy: that's not possible. a bullet, fired from any gun accelerates as the vector sum of both the gunpowder, which propells it from the barrel, air friction, and gravity which pulls it toward the earth. if a bullet is fired directly up, it's acceleration is still based on the same vector sum, however the coordinates are different. in this case the bullet slows until it stops (as gravity pulls back at it along with the friction of the air). then it begins to accelerate back towards earth. eventually though, it will reach terminal velocity as any free-falling body will. (i believe the distance it takes to reach terminal velocity is only like 33 ft.) the bullet WILL NOT surpass this velocity without an extra boost of some sort. since it has none, it just falls back to earth at about the same speed it would if you throw it into the air. it will not return at the same speed it left. this is like the old myth of dropping a penny off the empire state building and having it go 5 feet into the pavement when it hits. this assumes that the penny accelerates unbounded until it reaches the ground below, which it doesn't. neither this story, or the ability to drive a penny into the ground by dropping it from a building are true. without doing any math i'd say it's return velocity would be pretty useless. maybe enough to give you a bump on the head, but that's it.
View Quote
You are not correct, sir. It is well documented that falling bullets cause severe dents/punctures in cars, stick into roofs, and yes, injure and occasionally kill people who are bonked on the head. You are right that they do not reach very "fast" speeds, but a bullet of any heft will be a thing of reckoning upon its return to earth.
View Quote
Well you both are right, people have been killed by falling bullets (and bolts, ect ,,, from highrise constrution areas). I do fine it hard to belive that the bullet entered the top of a head and exited the bottom of the skull if it was just falling back to earth though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:08:16 AM EDT
How else to explain such an injury though? Someone would have had to be standing directly over the guy and shooting directly down into his head. Or the guy would have had to be laying down or bent over. Usually the most obvious explanation is true. In this case, the bullet just found a particularly soft spot in this guys soft skull and soft brain and plummeted through. Terminal velocity for a bullet is probably around 160-200 MPH btw. A human body in optimal position can reach 150-180 mph. A bullet, being more streamlined, would probably do better than that. I wouldn't want it hitting me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:09:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights: Dupe thread. IBTL
View Quote
but, but, how do they tell WHICH ONE is the Duplicate????? (we only have 4 running....)
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:15:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By icemanat95: How else to explain such an injury though? Someone would have had to be standing directly over the guy and shooting directly down into his head. Or the guy would have had to be laying down or bent over. Usually the most obvious explanation is true. In this case, the bullet just found a particularly soft spot in this guys soft skull and soft brain and plummeted through. Terminal velocity for a bullet is probably around 160-200 MPH btw. A human body in optimal position can reach 150-180 mph. A bullet, being more streamlined, would probably do better than that. I wouldn't want it hitting me.
View Quote
Well we don't know what really happened. It's very possible the media have misreported exactly what happened. There's just something that "not quite right" and I am leaning to an error in reporting the facts.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:29:55 AM EDT
i don't disagree that people have died from such things... after all, people have died in an inch of water. i don't think it could have gone all that way, turned around, and went through his skull. i would say it's more likely it ricocheted off something. also, although a bullet is streamlined, this doesn't matter as it falls. it will tumble, therefore increasing air friction, therefore falling short of the suggested 200 mph terminal velocity. serious guys, you can probably hit it with a bat faster then it's going to fall.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:30:04 AM EDT
So, the klan is a bunch of fucking morons. This is news?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:45:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2003 6:46:40 AM EDT by ARndog]
Ban all bullets that weigh over 70 grains...for the [s]children[/s] klansmen. [;D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:10:39 AM EDT
I have seen photos of people injured in arabia during weddings. The celebants fire their AK's into the air. People get hurt when bullets fall from the sky. Not too long ago someone posted a picture of a wound received from a bullet falling back to earth during an arab wedding. It can happen.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:05:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By icemanat95: Terminal velocity for a bullet is probably around 160-200 MPH btw .... I wouldn't want it hitting me.
View Quote
160-200 MPH ~ 235-295 FPS
Top Top