Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2003 8:06:44 PM EDT
Hey guys! I'm a brand new Private Pilot! I took my Checkride this past Saturday and it went great! Not only that, but I also found out I'm starting Aviation Preflight Indoctrination this Wednesday! WOOHOO!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I took some lessons out of tamiami. Up here in Alaska, you don't generally see a plane unless taking off or landing. Flying up and down Miami Beach on the other hand was a circus. All I was doing was watching for traffic.
It was a little stressful for me to say the least. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I went up today for a short flight up the river befoer dinner.  I got mine my freshman year.  Just use it for dates and to go to Dallas.
Kinda expensive, just wait
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool!

I'm going to be doing groundschool next fall, and flight lessions the spring/summer after that.  I'm paying for the groundschool myself, and my parents are paying for part of the flight lessions as my graduation present.  I can't wait!  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
They sure are right when they say "Flying is the most fun you can have with your pants on." I can't wait to get into the T-34 during Primary Flight Training...high-performance turbo-prop mmmmmmm.

I'm taking my new girlfriend flying on Friday, she's never been in a plane before. Let's just say...MAJOR points [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They sure are right when they say "Flying is the most fun you can have with your pants on." I can't wait to get into the T-34 during Primary Flight Training...high-performance turbo-prop mmmmmmm.

[:D]
View Quote

Actually that's VERTREP.  To fly is human, to hover divine, but to fly sideways at 50 mph is f'n unbelievable.

Congrats on your private pilot.  What did it run you?  I have mine (took the 1 day class and paid the $80 after winging) but have never used it.  

If you want to really rack up the good grades in primary, start working on your instrument flight - that's where the "aboves" are.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went up today for a short flight up the river befoer dinner.  I got mine my freshman year.  Just use it for dates and to go to Dallas.
Kinda expensive, just wait
View Quote

Definatly chick bate.   "Whats that hunny.....you want etoufee? ook..i guess we should go have lunch in louisanna
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm taking my new girlfriend flying on Friday, she's never been in a plane before. Let's just say...MAJOR points [:D]
View Quote

We have T-34 here at NAS Willow Grove.  Lessons are pretty cheap comparitively speaking, from what I'm told anyway.  Have to join the base flying club to get the rates but I understand that the T-34's are real fun.

Being an AO and liking to rip on fellow Sailors, I'd probably make some smart assed ironic comment in good fun about fellow Sailors but I'll refrain since you are an officer.  

Nah,

Puuuullllllleeeeeaaaase!!! We all know squids cant' fly, just ask the Air Force!

...Sir

Congrats
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually that's VERTREP.  To fly is human, to hover divine, but to fly sideways at 50 mph is f'n unbelievable.

Congrats on your private pilot.  What did it run you?  I have mine (took the 1 day class and paid the $80 after winging) but have never used it.  

If you want to really rack up the good grades in primary, start working on your instrument flight - that's where the "aboves" are.
View Quote

Not this past summer, but the one before it, my 1/C cruise was at HC-3 at NASNI. The pilot let me do a side-flare with the MH-60S.....THAT WAS AWESOME!!

I had 25 hours care of the Navy from IFS, and I completed in 38 hours. Cost me around $1300-1500. Well worth it. I just didn't feel like waiting 2 years to get my wings, I wanted to fly for pleasure NOW. I'll definitely be taking that course when I get my wings...a "free" commercial-multi-instrument...now THAT is awesome.

Thanks for the tips for Primary, I got NAS Whiting so I'll be in Florida for some time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have T-34 here at NAS Willow Grove.  Lessons are pretty cheap comparitively speaking, from what I'm told anyway.  Have to join the base flying club to get the rates but I understand that the T-34's are real fun.

Being an AO and liking to rip on fellow Sailors, I'd probably make some smart assed ironic comment in good fun about fellow Sailors but I'll refrain since you are an officer.  

Nah,

Puuuullllllleeeeeaaaase!!! We all know squids cant' fly, just ask the Air Force!

...Sir

Congrats
View Quote

Don't you mean Air Farce? [BD]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah,

...Sir

Congrats
View Quote

Don't you mean Air Farce? [BD]
View Quote

We are a joint reserve base and the AF drills with us and eats at the galley too.  I used this comment(air farce) in line in front of a bunch of AF in BDU's that I thought were Navy MA's, should have looked closer.  They took it in stride said something about our "funny" uniforms.  We all had a good laugh.  Nothing like a little interservice rivalry.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Fly Navy, I assume you are in Pensacola?  I will be down there in the spring for Aircrew school.  Trying to finalize the dates this month.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Aw man, congrats!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fly Navy, I assume you are in Pensacola?  I will be down there in the spring for Aircrew school.  Trying to finalize the dates this month.
View Quote

NAS Pensacola, yup. We got quite a few Air Force here, doing joint-service flight training. I like them, they're different, but they're cool for the most part. So are the Coasties.

"Hoooooooooo Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Aaaaaaaaaiiiiiiirrrrr creeeeeeeewwww"

You'll be saying that...a lot.

We see the aircrew classes going through the water survival classes along side us API folks...have fun, that stuff is a blast. Make sure you're comfortable in the water before coming down, it'll help immensely. Swimming with full flight gear can freak some people out at first.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanx for the heads up.  First thing I was asked by my LPO was "Are you comfortable in water?"  "Not meaning an Olympic swimmer, just comfortable where you are not gonna freak out, start flailing around phobia style?"

Like he asked, I'm not an olympic swimmer but I have no fear of water and am comfortable in deep water.  Occasionally get the life guards whistle at the shore(NJ).  I usually like to hang out beyond the breakers and the kids with boogie boards, unfortunatly I get told to come back ing.  

My father was Navy Aircrew SAR and taught my sister, brother and myself to be good in the water, so I have no hang ups about that.  

I know what you mean, back in bootcamp we had guys that were all gung ho and froze up on a 5m platform at the pool!  Had one guy that refused to let go of the side but in the shallow water he would swim like a fish.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on finishing IFS and starting API.

Remember what I said before.  The API motto is "Our Mission is Attrition"!  Study hard, ESPECIALLY the chapters on Weather...  When it comes time for your NAMI Physical...keep your mouth shut!

Every step you take during the next three years will get harder.  In Nov of 2000 I started API and I finally joined the fleet this past fall.

Go Navy...Beat Army!
Travis

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Congrats on finishing IFS and starting API.

Remember what I said before.  The API motto is "Our Mission is Attrition"!  Study hard, ESPECIALLY the chapters on Weather...  When it comes time for your NAMI Physical...keep your mouth shut!

Every step you take during the next three years will get harder.  In Nov of 2000 I started API and I finally joined the fleet this past fall.

Go Navy...Beat Army!
Travis
View Quote

I hear you on the weather...I always have a hard time remembering it. I understand it perfectly fine, but for some reason I can never keep the information in my head...I'll be spending extra time on that subject.

Already been through my NAMI...what a stressful day that is, for everyone. My right eye was barely 20/20...the doctor gave me three shots to get it right. Luckily he was cool and didn't want to give me glasses...I passed.

What aircraft did you end up with? Did you know a Brian Blair or Dan Short? Both Navy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Congratulations!   Remember, for safety, always stay in the middle of the air.   Bad things happen when you get to the edge of the air, as you are likely to bump into things :-).

- Brad
CP-ASMEL/IA
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Dagnabbit, I would have had a private pilot's license two years ago, but not only did the place I used to take lessons stop giving them, but the local small airport here in Oxford stopped too!  I've only logged 25 flight hours, including 3 solo hours.

Congratulations, by the way.  I'm breaking the tenth commandment here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Great work.  It is such a feeeling of accomplishment.  

Instrument rating is a major hoot!

I have my PP and IR, and haven't flown in over 3 years :(

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#21]
That's outstanding! Welcome to the rare world of the aviator! I got the name Ramjet from my flight instructor who thought I flew a prop plane like I had a Ramjet up my butt. The name stuck.

I've been flying for over 20 years now. Was first in my IFR class. Owned a plane for seven years (don't do this unless you have a big checkbook)...lol.

Since the birth of my son seven years ago, haven't been flying much. I sold the plane and spent more time with him. He nows wants to be a pilot!

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Congratulations on your new ticket! Now you can start to learn how to fly. I got my pvt in 1971 and am still learning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top