Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 8:52:57 PM EDT
I would like to know what characteristics/features that those of you that use bipods/tripods look for. I'm going to design my own and don't have enough experience shooting with one to know what is important. I'll post the design later for comments.

Thanks,

CW
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I wanted one that swivels for shooting on uneven surfaces and the ability to fold either forward or backwards.  I also like the adjustable height legs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Harris.

Lightweight and reliable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one that ROTATES and swivels but the base is still like the size of a Harris.  Also, a wide range of adjustablitiy in the legs would be nice... say... 6" to 25".  Something that could be used off the bench or extended long enough for shooting while sitting on the ground (I know that would be VERY difficult to design).  Teflon coated components.  I've seen rust on the springs of a Harris.  Rubber feet that are easy to clean... I always have to work to get the dirt out of the grooves in those Harris feet.  Tension knobs for the legs that are easier to use and actually work.

While we're at it... I want some type of auto-leveling system.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Harris.

View Quote

Anything else you like about the Harris?

CW
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harris.

View Quote

Anything else you like about the Harris?

CW
View Quote

Primarily the light weight.  I HATE adding to front heaviness.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Two legs that spread nice and wide.........oh never mind.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Two legs that spread nice and wide.........oh never mind.
View Quote

For stability, right?[:D]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want one that ROTATES and swivels but the base is still like the size of a Harris.  Also, a wide range of adjustablitiy in the legs would be nice... say... 6" to 25".  Something that could be used off the bench or extended long enough for shooting while sitting on the ground (I know that would be VERY difficult to design).  Teflon coated components.  I've seen rust on the springs of a Harris.  Rubber feet that are easy to clean... I always have to work to get the dirt out of the grooves in those Harris feet.  Tension knobs for the legs that are easier to use and actually work.

While we're at it... I want some type of auto-leveling system.  
View Quote

Would a suspension system like I've seen on some recent bipods (where the rifle is hung from the bipod apex) work as an auto-leving system?

CW
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
btt. Would like to get an answer as to slung suspension.

Thanks,

CW
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a Harris Bipod HBRM on ebay and just figured out it isn't he swivel model.  It would be great for bench shooting.  I need to get rid of it asap get a swivel model.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Anything that swivels, tilts, and says Harris on the package......
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anything that swivels, tilts, and says Harris on the package......
View Quote

How about something better than Harris?

CW [8D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
What do I look for (several fruitless but imaginative dollars later)? "HARRIS"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top