Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 8:17:44 PM EDT
First off, I'll give a thorough background to those of you who missed the last topic on this:

As many of you may remember, I posted a thread about the Issues Committee here at UT Knoxville. See, the Issues Committee is tasked with bringing a balanced amount of liberal, moderate, and conservative speakers to the school. They brought their first conservative speaker in at least 5 semesters a couple weeks ago, finally (there last liberal speaker, Sy Hersch, was the first in the last year or so that hasn't compared the US to Nazi Germany).

Well, we uncovered that they recieve 90 grand from the school to do this, and their excuse for not bringing conservatives was that they didn't have the money. So, my Seikh friend wrote an article in the paper about it, and told how they were incredibly liberally biased. The next day, there was a letter to the editor run denying that they were liberals. Thing is, we have a mole within the Issues Committee. Our mole is a former member who quit because of the rabid liberal bias, but they haven't taken him off of their email list, so we have a source of all their internal communcations. Well, apparently, they sent an email out to their group that was very derogatory, and included an admission that they were a liberal organization, and a statment that said, quote, "...if you see that rag head, shoot him in the f*cking face." Well, when Sukhmani heard about this, he didn't take kindly to it, and nor did we. So, what we do is leak this information to the school newspaper, and we now have a couple local TV stations wanting this scoop to run on TV. Today, we printed out 600 flyers that included on them the statement of 'shooting the ragheads in the f---ing face' and the admission of liberal bias. We stuck them up around campus, and although they were taken down by 12:00 today, plenty of people saw them.

Needless to say, heads in the Issues Committee (and their faculty advisor who is all part of this) are going to roll. In this case, we're not going to be satisfied until every single member is fired and a whole new board is appointed. This time with a fair amount of liberals, moderates, and conservatives. I'll keep you guys posted on the events that go on, and provide the links to the media coverage of it. The local news media is just digging for scandal to cover here at UT, as we just got over an ordeal of firing the President for fiscal mismanagement and had a big deal over some fraternities painting their faces black and insulting African Americans.

So, after the local TV stations recieved press releases, they were all over this.  We got news coverage on all three Knoxville TV stations, the major Knoxville newspaper, the Nashville Tennessean, the biggest paper in the state, and WMC-TV out of Memphis.  Also, the AP picked it up, so there's no telling where this will end up.

Just recently, a friend of mine sent me a link to Fox News.  Get this, they have picked up our story!  So, now we have statewide AND national coverage of this!

Go to www.utcollegerepublicans.org to get links to all the news outlets that have published us if you want to learn more.  

The best thing though is the fact that the administration is trying to cover this up and not do anything about the problem at hand, even going so far as to attempt to infringe on our constitutional rights of free speech and right to petition.  Recently, before last Saturday's football game, a group of us set up a table on public property to get a petition signed to present to the school president, so as to get something done about this.  Apparently, someone reported us to Assitant Dean of Students J. J. Brown.  He then called the campus police and ordered them to come break up our peaceful petition drive.  Not only is this in clear violation of our rights, seeing as though what we were doing was perfectly legal, it was out of his jurisdiction, seeing as though it was off campus property.  After breif negotiation with the police officers, they agreed that this was out of her jurisdiction, and wished us good luck, saying they agreed completely with our cause.  So, now we have the police on our side, too, hah!  And from what I hear, there may be legislation in the state house of reps that might be going to cut off funding to the Issues Committee.  

If you want to keep abreast of these issues, just keep an eye on my blog at http://nathanf.blog-city.com
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Might be a good idea to give the link to the Fox News story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,103889,00.html

Tolerance on Campus

A Sikh student at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville who complained that a student committee only brought liberal speakers to campus was derided as a "raghead" as a result, reports the Daily Beacon.

UT student Sukhmani Singh Khalsa complained in an editorial that the students’ Issues Committee, which brings speakers to campus, was devoid of ideological diversity. "I don't think that a lot of parents would be happy if they knew they were paying this group $90,000 to have their country slandered and their values dragged through the mud," he wrote.

Following the appearance of the article, Justin Rubenstein, a member of the Issues Committee, told fellow members of the panel in an e-mail that if they "see one of those ragheads, shoot him right in the [expletive] face."

Rubenstein said his comment was taken out of context.

Note how Rubenstein said his comment was taken out of context.  How the heck do you take, "If you see one of those ragheads, shoot him right in the f***ing face" out of context?  Go to www.utcollegerepublicans.org/emails.cfm to see for yourself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
O'Reilly and Ann Coulter would eat this up.

go get em.
And, oh yeah, Go Vols.  Don't think you will get the invite to SEC championship (Georgia will get it I think), but may get a BCS invite.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
LMAO.
Awesome.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Kudos to you and the crew.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/simpsons/images/340/burns.jpg[/img]

[size=5]Eggg-salent!![/size=5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How the heck do you take, "If you see one of those ragheads, shoot him right in the f***ing face" out of context?
View Quote

Oh, I'm sure he meant it in a "good" way. What a buffoon, this Rubenstein. Good luck on your work. Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Good work, and good work to your friend as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for you.  This story got picked up on Instapundit (which EVERYBODY reads) but I heard it from you first here.

When a liberal talks even jokingly about shooting their political enemies in the head and using racist comments, it all gets laughed off as not serious.

If a college Republican used it, it would be trumpeted as proof of the evilness of conservatives and basically your lives would all be destroyed.

Like I said before, what you conservative activists do on campus is very important, and the reactionary response of entrenched liberals on campus helps underscore their hypocrisy of their alleged "tolerance" and "open-mindedness" vis-a-vis political debate.  Call them on their bullshit everywhere you can.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
We are listening very closesly to every word they say, calling them on their BS everywhere and making it known to everyone.  The simple fact that they'd shut us down shows that they percieve us as a threat, which is good.

Also, to any college students in here, we need this to carry over to EVERY campus in the nation.  The events here at UTK show that it is possible to take ground back, no matter how small it is, and that every bit gained helps exponentially.  If you see things like this on your campus, get a group together and DO something about it.  We can't let this go on any longer, guys, it's time for us to stand up for what we believe in, we can take back our schools with a little patience and persistence.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Bringing ideological balance back to our universities is probably the single most important step in saving this nation from the left.

Good job. Now raise hell that there aren't enough non-leftist [i]professors[/i].

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top