Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think we're eventually headed to a system where each side has forbidden all press passes and no longer informs us of what is going on behind the closed doors until things get passed at which time it's too late to do anything about it.

I also could be wrong too
View Quote
Gotta pass it to find out what is in it
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Its a direct assualt on the 1st ammendment. I mean if obama did this, EVERYONE here would be screaming impeachment.
View Quote
Can you back up this claim underscore bro?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is incorrect.  The Executive is still bound by the Constitution, Bill of Rights and about a hundred years of immigration law and case law.  You're saying POTUS could unilaterally decree "No immigration visas will be given to black people?"  Yeah good luck with that interpretation of Article II powers...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree with your overall point - but the concept of "due process" isn't only limited to criminal law violations.

For example, immigration (the legal kind) is one area where a person is entitled to due process even though they haven't been charged with a crime.
No.  Immigration and entering the country is the sole purview of the Executive Branch, headed by POTUS.  He can let everyone in, let no one in, let some in and keep others out, as he sees fit.  While the general framework is based on legislation from Congress, how, or even IF, it is executed is entirely up to the President, under the Constitution.
This is incorrect.  The Executive is still bound by the Constitution, Bill of Rights and about a hundred years of immigration law and case law.  You're saying POTUS could unilaterally decree "No immigration visas will be given to black people?"  Yeah good luck with that interpretation of Article II powers...
"The exclusion of aliens is a fundamental act of sovereignty … inherent in the executive power," Supreme Court 1950.

Congress adopted a provision in 1952 saying the president "may by proclamation and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens and any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants" whenever he thinks it "would be detrimental to the interests of the United States."
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It is a 5th and 1st amendment based case despite your objection to it.
View Quote
No, it isn't - no matter what some may say otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Get it back to him......and just as he touches it yank it away and give him the paper that declares him a physical threat to the Pres and/or Family. I'm sure the fucker has tweeted something that can be seen as a threat.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just stop doing to press conferences. Problem solved. Dont play stupid games with little children.
View Quote
But then we wouldn't see Sara hand them their asses on a daily basis.  #nofun
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wait is she really an anti-vaxxer?
View Quote
Huge.  She used her position as an "investigative reporter" for CBS to pimp fake news. For example (in 2011):

"For all those who’ve declared the autism-vaccine debate over – a new scientific review begs to differ. It considers a host of peer-reviewed, published theories that show possible connections between vaccines and autism."

She was at it as late as 2014, if not longer.  May be at it today.  I don't know.  Her credibility dropped to basically zero, so she has faded from the spotlight.

Big time defender of Andrew Wakefield.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Now that Trump's judge and CNN made him look like a fucking fool with this Acosta dog and pony show, If him or Sarah Huckabee call on ANY CNN reporter in the next 2 years I'm staying home on Election Day in 2020.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does the Prez not appoint senior officers?

Their people
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see crazy Sharyl Attkinson's name is getting dropped again.

Here's the relevant DOJ OIG report on her "hacking" allegation that was found to be entirely unsubstantiated...

https://www.scribd.com/document/254125757/DOJ-OIG-Report-Sharyl-Attkisson

I'd recommend finding a better example of government overreach than her.  She's ten pounds of "crazy" stuffed into a five pound bag.
In other words Obamas folks investigated themselves and found they did nothing wrong!
I've never heard knowledgeable people referring to the IG community as "[current president]'s folks".

You do you.
Does the Prez not appoint senior officers?

Their people
Inspectors General are handled differently than normal political PAS positions.  IGs routinely come from within the career IG community, and serve past presidential terms.  In this case, IG Horowitz was appointed by Obama, but has continued in his position through the Trump administration.  He was also previously appointed to a PAS position under Bush 43.  Calling him "Obama's folks" is silly - and we're ignoring the fact that the actual report would have been done by a GS-13 and approved by his/her ASAC / SAC before release.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now that Trump's judge and CNN made him look like a fucking fool with this Acosta dog and pony show, If him or Sarah Huckabee call on ANY CNN reporter in the next 2 years I'm staying home on Election Day in 2020.
View Quote
NeverTrump. coming. out. of. the. woodwork.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh the irony.
View Quote
The left does this all the time, they set the rules they end up dying by.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think we're eventually headed to a system where each side has forbidden all press passes and no longer informs us of what is going on behind the closed doors until things get passed at which time it's too late to do anything about it.

View Quote
I think we are getting to the point where liberals will have destroyed journalism for generations.

I am not wrong
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have a hearing and Trump's the judge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Due process how? Like he needs to have a hearing before they can throw him out?
Have a hearing and Trump's the judge?
I would think a notice to revoke, laying out the proposed cause of action, should have been served to CNN and Acosta, then a hearing set before a USSS senior official who would make a determination and issue a ruling.  Administrative law stuff, 101,
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL so now a press pass is a right?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Its a direct assualt on the 1st ammendment. I mean if obama did this, EVERYONE here would be screaming impeachment.
View Quote
Yeah, try that bullshit in a court room in front of a judge and see how your 1st amendment holds up.
It's called a decorum, politeness, something the left is clueless about.  Fucking whiney bitches.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've never heard knowledgeable people referring to the IG community as "[current president]'s folks".

You do you.
View Quote
The various offices of IG's should not be the Presidents people.

The reality is that once a President is in office a few years the upper level bureaucrats his administration put in place are of his ilk! And the people they hire are then like them. So after a few years we end up with a lot of folks that are not objective. The kind of people that abuse the power of all governmental agencies fro their own political purposes, examples are very clear with Lois Lerner's at the IRS, the DOJ IG finding no bias at the FBI, etc.. This seems to be much more extreme with the Obama administration than previously, but it is always the case!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
How so? The 1st Amendment does not specify that every single reporter from a press entity is guaranteed access to a press conference. In this case, "the Press" is CNN. As long as CNN is not excluded, there is no violation of the 1A, despite what any individual judge may rule.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Trump should quit doing press conferences and just do AMAs on reddit, using speech-to-text transcription.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
You actually think Jim Acosta needs to be called before he opens his fucking pie hole?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How so? The 1st Amendment does not specify that every single reporter from a press entity is guaranteed access to a press conference. In this case, "the Press" is CNN. As long as CNN is not excluded, there is no violation of the 1A, despite what any individual judge may rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even an issue with the 1st but rather the 5th
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not even an issue with the 1st but rather the 5th
View Quote
It isn't a 5th amendment thing, either. Acosta has no right to be there. None of his rights were harmed in any way.

Now, if Trump forced him to take a ride on Marine 1, you might have a point.

Hmmm, how many people could they fit on Marine 1?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How soon we all forget, Obummer didn't do many press conferences, instead talk shows and MSM that adored him. Never on fox, maybe once.

They played the same avoid or remove game, just more dastardly in their methods.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are existing rules:

The code of federal regulations that now guides the White House press pass process states that "In granting or denying a request for a security clearance made in response to an application for a White House press pass, officials of the Secret Service will be guided solely by the principle of whether the applicant presents a potential source of physical danger to the President and/or the family of the President so serious as to justify his or her exclusion from White House press privileges."

The White House never claimed Acosta was a security threat.

----
The government did not play by their own rules and revoked the pass just because
View Quote
But they aren't "granting" or "denying".   They are "revoking"   For cause.   And those aren't the same things.  HA!

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So the courts are going to manage the White House press room now?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/5684efb5a71699d2efaa13baba0dbb2c/tenor.gif?itemid=7715492
View Quote
It's the people's house, not Trump's. Remember?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh yes, it's the people's house. Show up and demand access and see how far that gets you, you are the people right? They'll just let you right in eh?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Because Constitutional rights are at stake and those are decisions made for the courts and not at the whim of a man who is having feud with another man. This isn't a hard concept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be. However, it is better than what was in place before. Which was nothing and the SS didn't have to tell you anything essentially. This is Trump's opportunity to make it better.
Why is a court making up shit better than allowing the executive to control its briefings?
Because Constitutional rights are at stake and those are decisions made for the courts and not at the whim of a man who is having feud with another man. This isn't a hard concept.
"freedom of the press" is NOT freedom of the corporate press, it is the right of anyone to print and publish their thoughts and writings. The bill of rights is about individual liberties.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Never call his name
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Trump reacts to judge's ruling on Jim Acosta's press pass
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the courts are going to manage the White House press room now?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/5684efb5a71699d2efaa13baba0dbb2c/tenor.gif?itemid=7715492
"Th people's house" sounds like some communist garbage.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#30]
“1st amendment violation” folks:

Explain your position, I dare you. Banning an intentionally abusive and disruptive individual (on multiple occasions) is not a violation of anything. He’s not being threatened or imprisoned, and he’s not being prevented from writing whatever drivel he produces.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Okay, this is a textbook example of the corruption of the judiciary.

I can go along with the court's findings except the last one.  There is no irreparable harm to CNN or Acosta.  Irreparable harm was intended to refer to something which truly cannot be replaced or restored by money, such as the destruction of a historical monument or building.

Courts have watered down the concept of irreparable injury or harm to the point where it has become meaningless.  Without that requirement, courts can do this activist nonsense like they've done here, and did in the other "injunction" cases.

It's really time for an appeals court to smack them down and return to the requirement of irreparable injury to put an end to all this "Hawaiian Judge" crap.
View Quote
exactly.  Accost-her isn't being stopped from making a living as a reporter.   He can go report cow crossings for all I care.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"1st amendment violation" folks:

Explain your position, I dare you. Banning an intentionally abusive and disruptive individual is not a violation of anything. He's not being threatened or imprisoned, and he's not being prevented from writing whatever drivel he produces.
View Quote
Nonsense. Every reporter there should be able to stand up and yell at the top of their lungs for the duration of the press conference without any recourse. Anything less and we have a 1st amendment violation.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It isn't a 5th amendment thing, either. Acosta has no right to be there. None of his rights were harmed in any way.

Now, if Trump forced him to take a ride on Marine 1, you might have a point.

Hmmm, how many people could they fit on Marine 1?
View Quote
Helicopter rides for the Press. I see where you are going with this.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There are zero Constitutionally enumerated rights at stake at a press conference.

Trump should just stop hosting them entirely.
View Quote
Change it to a daily briefing by video, online transcript and no interaction.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks....
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#36]
For starters Judge Kelly said that The White House was within its rights to ignore Acosta from here on in, to never call on him and to grant him no interviews if it wants to.

In other words Acosta would be nothing more than a spectator.

"I want to emphasize the very limited nature of this ruling," Judge Kelly said, The Hill reported.

It is limited because the decision is only temporary. Judge Kelly did not rule whether or not Acosta's First and Fifth Amendment rights were violated
View Quote
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/416935-judge-rules-against-white-house-in-cnn-dispute
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You actually think Jim Acosta needs to be called before he opens his fucking pie hole?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of people in this thread have never watched a press conference and don't know what has been going on lately. If I see another "Just don't call on him" response I'm going to lose it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nonsense. Every reporter there should be able to stand up and yell at the top of their lungs for the duration of the press conference without any recourse. Anything less and we have a 1st amendment violation.
View Quote
So why cant people say "cunt" or "fuck" on network television?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think we are getting to the point where liberals will have destroyed journalism for generations.
View Quote
Liberals stopped being Liberals and became Leftist hacks.

We are witnessing the death of liberalism which is being replaced by hard-left communism.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
and since rights are supposed to be equal, the same should apply to legislative and judicial activity also.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
From the 1977 case law:

That is one of the reasons why Acosta could file and challenge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 1977 case actually helps set up a standard for the time that was reasonable. Up until then there was no release of info by the SS as to why people were denied their 1a rights. How you don't see that as a problem is mind boggling. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that you either didn't read the relevant parts of the case or don't understand the implications of it.

Let me put it this way. If Hillary had won and she revoked all the press passes of all Conservative news organizations, as you are suggesting Trump should do to Acosta, would you be upset with that and complaining?

The case law might not be the best, not may things are nowadays, but up until this point it hasn't been an issue. Trump now has the opportunity to appeal case law and take the to the SCOTUS to have it changed. Why is that a bad thing? Why should he not have to follow case law?
Did he revoke Acosta's pass, or CNNs pass? If CNN can still send another reporter who is not Acosta to the press conferences, where are the damages?

This is the stupidest fucking thing I think that's happened to Trump so far.
From the 1977 case law:

With respect to its requirement of notice and opportunity to rebut, the Court relied on its determination that denial of a White House press pass constitutes a deprivation of "liberty" without due process of law within the meaning of the fifth amendment because it interferes with the free exercise of the profession of journalism.
That is one of the reasons why Acosta could file and challenge.
Where does it state he has a right to disrupt  and harrass, or refuse to return government owned property?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, and we alternate between two parties like alternating between strep and staph in a wound

Both parties expand the reach of the government while their own fans cheer for it, then when the other party takes over, they pick up where the last one left off instead of rolling back anything
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Change it to a daily briefing by video, online transcript and no interaction.
View Quote
He should get one of those TV carts like schools used to have & when the press is all assembled for their briefing the Secret Service can wheel the cart up to the podium and hit the "Play" button.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Refuse to call on Acosta, and if he yells out of turn immediately end the press conference. Every time this happens make it clear that it's because of Acosta's behavior.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Calling up that number is a righteous stand that a real man would make. Standing up and questioning the president however is s pitiful act of butthurt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is calling up the Judge's office and yelling, screaming, and crying about the issue to some intern or clerk because GD said so
Calling up that number is a righteous stand that a real man would make. Standing up and questioning the president however is s pitiful act of butthurt
It's not what he did it's how he does it. He flagrantly denies others their right to access the president. He takes over and won't relent to others wanting to exercise their rights.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is calling up the Judge's office and yelling, screaming, and crying about the issue to some intern or clerk because GD said so
It's not what he did it's how he does it. He flagrantly denies others their right to access the president. He takes over and won't relent to others wanting to exercise their rights.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nobody will perceive this except for Stephanie, the poor intern that's trying to get her 3 hours of credit for her poli sci degree...

There are places were the voice of the people should be heard.  A federal judge's chambers isn't one of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly sure that getting everyone to call and harass some poor clerk (or intern) is going to work out the way you think it will...
You're right. We the People have no right to let judges, who are supposed to work for us, know what we think of their decisions.  It will be much more effective to sit around and complain on ARFCOM.
Federal judges should care what the masses think of their decisions?

That doesn't sound very conservative.
Perception. It's the only thing that matters now. See Kamala Harris dressing down new ICE head nominee.
Nobody will perceive this except for Stephanie, the poor intern that's trying to get her 3 hours of credit for her poli sci degree...

There are places were the voice of the people should be heard.  A federal judge's chambers isn't one of them.
Acosta is a he beosch. He's not a voice of the people. He's a rude self-promoting douchebag.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LOL so now a press pass is a right?
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing.
It's not a right. It's a privilege.
Many other "journalists" would love to be in the White House but they can't.
These press conferences aren't mandatory either.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Aren’t we saying that the reporters don’t have the right to be in there, and that revoking Acosta’s pass is not violating his rights. In that case he’s not violating any rights by hogging up the time
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top