BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People need to keep their tanks above half at all times, especially  this time of year

Meh, they were sending out weather alerts to village residents over the village listserv days ahead of this storm.
There was no lack of warning locally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

….  People were abandoning their cars after running out of gas.  It was a shitshow.  Thank God my truck had a 30-gallon tank or I would have been screwed, too.
People need to keep their tanks above half at all times, especially  this time of year

Quoted:
The storm was supposed to be a nothing..

And turned into something.
Meh, they were sending out weather alerts to village residents over the village listserv days ahead of this storm.
The forecast changed for the worst mid day.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Every tiny hill in my area was a sheet of ice and pretty much impassable by car within only a few minutes of the storm's start.

My wife's coworker's normal 50 minute commute took 9 hours
View Quote
Unpossible that 'suttern black ice'™ made it that far north.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw many, many people stuck and abandoning cars. I had to jump a guy in a Toyota van on a hill stuck in a snowbank that he somehow managed to drain the battery in. I have a lifted 4Runner and was just out joyriding.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ice is ice, regardless of where you live.  No one can drive on it, at least not very far and not very fast.

We got our first dusting of snow last night, looks to be about 6-8 inches.  It’s hard to tell because it is already melting.
View Quote
quoted for posterity.

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just re-read the 5 AM brief they sent villagers yesterday; it was pretty accurate, as weather predictions go.
People should always assume the worst this time of year and plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
It took me six hours to go five miles.  My car didn't have problems but other people did.

Forecast and radio really dropped the ball.

None of the fucking roads were salted or pre- treated at all.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It took me six hours to go five miles.  My car didn't have problems but other people did.

Forecast and radio really dropped the ball.

None of the fucking roads were salted or pre- treated at all.
View Quote
This strikes me as really odd because they didn't do anything near me either. How the fuck did they not do anything when it's all they talked about for like a fucking week? Fucking retards.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
45 miles 6 1/2 hours
View Quote
I can walk to work in under 15 minutes.

I'd still just work from home though instead most likely.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
holy crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every tiny hill in my area was a sheet of ice and pretty much impassable by car within only a few minutes of the storm's start.

My wife's coworker's normal 50 minute commute took 9 hours
holy crap.
Wife works in Harrisburg and her normal 40min drive turned to 8hrs. everything just stopped when the closed 83.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I was working in Harrison NY and had to drop my guy off in Orange NJ and make it home in the bridgwater NJ area. Left the job at 1 30. Arrived home at 1 am. Literally sat on the same road in orange for 9 hours.

9. Fucking. Hours. I moved maybe a quarter mile. Didnt see a single cop until maybe 11 PM. 2 way streets people used as 1 way streets. Complete and total gridlock.

And it's not like were in Texas or somewhere that doesnt get snow. This is a normal occurance.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

On the topic of pretreatment -

Some western states that never used to salt/spray much are now doing so... you would absolutely shit yourself if you saw how much they spray on clear days simply because it drops below freezing at night and some idiot state DOT person thinks this means they have to do something.

We're talking 2-3 weeks without so much as a single rain drop or snowflake with daytime highs in the 40's and 50's, and they are spraying the roads 2-3 times a day.

View Quote
Working for Big Rust
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought you Northerners had everything to do with snow and icy weather figured out, regular masters of your domain and all.

What happened?

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Things could have been worse...I'm glad we have awd for wife and 4x4 for me.  If people would learn how to drive it would have things better yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry folks, but I've just got too say:

5" of snow, really!
Thats an everday occurence out here after about this time of the year.
View Quote
Typically we have no problem with this much snow.

The area I live in catches a lot of the lake effect off lake erie. We are used to driving in snow, but between it being the first big snowfall of the season (people be like "omg I forgot how to drive in the snow") and the fact that Pendot dropped the ball it was a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I was on a plane headed to San Jose. Don't really want to be here. But, can't help but be happy I missed that crap. Work in Erie PA.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought you Northerners had everything to do with snow and icy weather figured out, regular masters of your domain and all.

What happened?

View Quote
Dunno. I drive in anything.
Got up extra early to clear the Jeep off. Roads did suck ass though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll never understand it, can't fight it, yet the local township and county workers are all still there, with millions of dollars of equipment at their disposal
all sitting around , with nothing to do, yet they just can't get in a truck and go plow some snow.
if you drive by any duncan donuts or wawa there are 10 trucks at each location with equipment just sitting idle, most storms
while the gov employees are inside on a permanent break.

I've been amazed at other locations around the country that do 10 times the work with 1/8 of the employees and hardly any equipment
the people just work harder and handle the job
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What happened?

View Quote
In NJ you can thank our dick sucking communist governor for being too busy sucking dick and getting railed in the ass by illegals to care about his own subjects.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought southerners just didn’t know how to drive in the snow
View Quote
New Jersey fuckers can’t drive in a rain storm down here. They lose their fucking minds. I can only imagine how they wig out in snow!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#20]
They finally passed legislation or changed the rules or whatever here last year that we can use salt in Oregon. I hope they don’t, most people east of Portland know how to drive in it and it’s nice when the snow keeps portlanders where they belong.

You guys should just go without salt for a couple years. People will figure it out and your rigs will last longer.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll never understand it, can't fight it, yet the local township and county workers are all still there, with millions of dollars of equipment at their disposal
all sitting around , with nothing to do, yet they just can't get in a truck and go plow some snow.
if you drive by any duncan donuts or wawa there are 10 trucks at each location with equipment just sitting idle, most storms
while the gov employees are inside on a permanent break.

I've been amazed at other locations around the country that do 10 times the work with 1/8 of the employees and hardly any equipment
the people just work harder and handle the job
View Quote
Must be a NJ thing.
Our local road crews are never sitting around at some gas station.
But I do hear their plows go by at all hours of the night when its a bad storm.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I got about 12" of powder here. I started to plow out the neighbors and I about 5:30 this morning. The school cut out at noon yesterday and it was snowing by 1:30. I live in a very rural area so fortunately, no gridlock here.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Got a bit of ice here.  Couple limbs landed close to my house.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Got caught in Pittsburgh and had to drive up to Erie on 19” summer racing tires (thankful for Quattro) at 1am...finally got to Erie at 4:30am.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Things weren't so great in NY either. My wife didn't make it home. 15 mile commute. After the first hour, she was 3 miles from work, decided to get to her parents home half a mile away. Took 2.5 hours more. Got to them at 8:30. Her boss would not let anyone go early.

I left on my 8 mile commute, almost blind in the snow, 45 minutes trying to stay on the road and get past stuck vehicles that couldn't get up a hill. All the time thinking about what would happen if this was our big mistake and we left our kid an orphan.

Now, my wife wants a 4wd SUV. I want Florida.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Anybody here from New Britain, Chalfont, Doylestown area?

How did it go there?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Normally our township is on the ball during storms. They initially came through around 1pm, but never came back after that. I only traveled on 1 mile of pavement that had been plowed during my 32 mile commute. It normally takes 45 min to drive it. Yesterday was 2.25 hrs. There is no excuse for my township, as we have $25m+ in the bank. The roads should be spotless, IMO. We are rural and hilly. Need awd or 4wd in the winter. State roads that run through township were just as bad.
This morning wasn't much better. Had 2" come down in an hour prior to leaving for work this morning and it was a near whiteout as I was driving for the first 5 miles.
Everyone kept saying, "It's gonna change to rain". Well, guess what, it never did until late and then it was freezing rain with the wind. Glad I plowed my driveway when I got home last night.
It reminded me of when I was down in Raleigh NC in the winter and they had 1" of snow. Cars pulled over everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought southerners just didn’t know how to drive in the snow
View Quote
Driving expertise has declined dramatically since I first started driving (50 years ago).
I went to a private high school that basically, almost NEVER closed because of weather.  You were expected to be there, and everyone pretty much always was.

I heard the weather report first thing Thursday morning (4:30am) on ch 10.  They were pretty accurately describing what to expect, but sort of downplaying the implications of it.
I was left thinking, “WTF!!  You guys need to put down the crack pipe.  This storm has all the makings for a pretty serious disaster.”

I have a 36 mile commute into Philadelphia from the western burbs and I knew right away that there was no way I was gonna make it into work (I'd get into work, but I'd be trapped.  The commute back home would take 4 hours).  So, I called the boss and told him so; took a vacay day (as I always do in these cases).

I spent the day wrapped in my banky reading a new book I just got.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How did it go there?
View Quote
My buddy commuted from the northeast to Lansdale and was sitting for a few hours.  309 around Fort Washington was awful from what he said.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nobody was “caught off guard” by this storm, the TV weather people have been hyping it up since Monday

The storm even has a name
View Quote
Earlier alerts were for 1-3" turning into rain, done by 10PM.  Pretty sure it ended up precipitating most of the night, and this morning after a quick touch-up shoveling it started snowing again (briefly, but still).

I don't know what Action Local News has been bleating, but this was much more than NWS predicted for my AO. And the DPW was no where to be found until hours after it had turned messy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My buddy commuted from the northeast to Lansdale and was sitting for a few hours.  309 around Fort Washington was awful from what he said.
View Quote
Thanks.

I lived in Lansdale (briefly, thank goodness) for a while but it was more years ago than I'd care to enumerate.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was working in Harrison NY and had to drop my guy off in Orange NJ and make it home in the bridgwater NJ area. Left the job at 1 30. Arrived home at 1 am. Literally sat on the same road in orange for 9 hours.

9. Fucking. Hours. I moved maybe a quarter mile. Didnt see a single cop until maybe 11 PM. 2 way streets people used as 1 way streets. Complete and total gridlock.

And it's not like were in Texas or somewhere that doesnt get snow. This is a normal occurance.
View Quote
And now the roof is leaking all over the place
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Normally our township is on the ball during storms. They initially came through around 1pm, but never came back after that. I only traveled on 1 mile of pavement that had been plowed during my 32 mile commute. It normally takes 45 min to drive it. Yesterday was 2.25 hrs. There is no excuse for my township, as we have $25m+ in the bank. The roads should be spotless, IMO. We are rural and hilly. Need awd or 4wd in the winter. State roads that run through township were just as bad.
This morning wasn't much better. Had 2" come down in an hour prior to leaving for work this morning and it was a near whiteout as I was driving for the first 5 miles.
Everyone kept saying, "It's gonna change to rain". Well, guess what, it never did until late and then it was freezing rain with the wind. Glad I plowed my driveway when I got home last night.
It reminded me of when I was down in Raleigh NC in the winter and they had 1" of snow. Cars pulled over everywhere.
View Quote
@bigborehound... where is your AO?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yup, Penndot really dropped the ball. I didn't see any signs of pretreatment before the storm
View Quote
Pretreatment didn't help the stuff we got.  In 30 minutes it went from "Hey, I saw a flake" to cars spinning off the road, and then it just kept coming till dawn.  A nasty damn storm.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Centre county.

12", Black ice underneath.

Commute was maybe 5 minutes longer than usual. We also weren't dumb enough to drive in it. Just before and after
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Took me 7 hours from NYC to Phillipsburg. Sounds Iike i got off easy compared others. Never seen so many stranded cars and tractor trailers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Pretreatment didn't help the stuff we got.  In 30 minutes it went from "Hey, I saw a flake" to cars spinning off the road, and then it just kept coming till dawn.  A nasty damn storm.
View Quote
I saw pretreat in SEPA and NJ...

longer commute than normal but I had to go get my mom at work so in the end not too bad.

lots of idiots though
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I left work at 13:30 when I first saw the first snowflakes fall because I knew it was going to be a shit show. I got home in 3.5 hours. Normally it takes me about 2.5 hours to get home. A co-worker was working a few miles from where I was and he left at 14:00. He didn't get home until 23:19. Nine hours later. NINE HOURS!! Another guy I work with left at 14:00 as well and it took him 8 hours to get home.

I woke up this morning and attempted to go in. It was still snowing and the roads were a mess. I called my boss and told him I was going to wait for the plows to go through. Left at about 6:30 and it took me 2 hours to go a few towns over. The roads are still a mess. The sun is out now but I'm only going to do this one job close to my house and go home because my daughter needs someone to watch her.
View Quote
What job justifies a 5 hour daily commute??
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Driving expertise has declined dramatically since I first started driving (50 years ago)...
View Quote
In the early '60s I worked at a plant in a small town (Mars Hill) in the NC Mountains. No matter how much it snowed, almost everybody made it to work. Probably only a dozen people had 4WD vehicles, and those were milsurp jeeps.

I put snow tires on my VW and would give a couple of heavyweights a ride in the back seat. We were unstoppable.

We had plenty of snow there, but I can't remember any ice storms.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I left work at 13:30 when I first saw the first snowflakes fall because I knew it was going to be a shit show. I got home in 3.5 hours. Normally it takes me about 2.5 hours to get home. A co-worker was working a few miles from where I was and he left at 14:00. He didn't get home until 23:19. Nine hours later. NINE HOURS!! Another guy I work with left at 14:00 as well and it took him 8 hours to get home.

I woke up this morning and attempted to go in. It was still snowing and the roads were a mess. I called my boss and told him I was going to wait for the plows to go through. Left at about 6:30 and it took me 2 hours to go a few towns over. The roads are still a mess. The sun is out now but I'm only going to do this one job close to my house and go home because my daughter needs someone to watch her.
For me the answer would be that there is no job no matter how much money I made that could get me to commute 5 hours per day.   That's insane
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Gretel the goat says that the SNOW is bullshit Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

….  People were abandoning their cars after running out of gas.  It was a shitshow.  Thank God my truck had a 30-gallon tank or I would have been screwed, too.

Quoted:

Yeah but if that's true, how can the dickbeaters in GD feel morally superior to someone whose crime was going to work that day and "only" dressing for winter clothes.
Totally explains how the 4 hour commute home was their fault and in their control amirite
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah but if that's true, how can the dickbeaters in GD feel morally superior to someone whose crime was going to work that day and "only" dressing for winter clothes.
Totally explains how the 4 hour commute home was their fault and in their control amirite
View Quote
I work my superiority in by making fun of their tires.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Laughs in BF Goodrich KO2)
Something like that?  

(not my truck)
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

(Laughs in BF Goodrich KO2)
Something like that?  
View Quote
Something like that.  Geolandars at present but I'm probably moving to Falken AT/3's shortly.  The Geos do great in this shit, it's just the everyday driving that they suck at.  Terrible ride.  Keep 'em under 50 and ignore the ride quality and they'll take you anywhere though.

I keep hearing things that make me wonder if BFG isn't riding the KO2 brand name while letting QC go. Mighty spendy rubber if so.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#47]
My normal drive is 20 minutes and it took me almost 2 hours.  
I jumped on the turnpike, they had it completely clear. The issue was at the exits, well the road they exited onto. Those penndot cleared roads were all F'ed up.  There was a 3 mile line waiting to exit onto I83 and it wasn't moving so i went to the next exit, Rt15.  There i sat in a 1 mile line waiting to exit, that took over an hour.  From there it was a matter of finding a back way that didnt have too many stuck cars blocking.

This morning when i left for work, there were a bunch of abandoned vehicles in the road, the plow had made a path between them so no issue for me that early in the morning.

What was surprising was there were tractor trailers stuck on small  road that only go to housing developments. I guess they were trying to get around the closed interstate sections.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#48]
No commute for me since I'm retired.  But clearing up this mess too the wife and me five hours, using a snow blower and an ATV with a push blade.  We got between a foot an 14 inches based on the official reports on either side of our location.

Then PennDOT decided we needed more snow and plowed in the end of our driveway with 3 feet of packed snow.  It took most of our time to cut through that.  This afternoon the roads were mostly clear and wet but I fear they will refreeze tonight.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They finally passed legislation or changed the rules or whatever here last year that we can use salt in Oregon. I hope they don’t, most people east of Portland know how to drive in it and it’s nice when the snow keeps portlanders where they belong.

You guys should just go without salt for a couple years. People will figure it out and your rigs will last longer.
View Quote
Crosses Oregon off the list of safe states to buy used cars from.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How did it go there?
View Quote
I work in Doylestown. I'm tired of driving in the snow, mostly due to other people. A friend's wife drives from lake Galena to Del Val for work. Said it took 5 hours. I heard 313 was a joke. I stayed home playing RDR2 all day.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top