Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My 2007 Bushy A2 20" HBAR is spot on. Did I just get lucky?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the worst AR's I have even seen was an old-school Maine Bushmaster, early 90's with purple anodizing.  That was just cosmetic, but the canted front sight that turned out to be the whole barrel indexed wrong and the locating pin put in about 15 degrees off.  Guess what, the bolt was only about 25% locked up and it eventually sheared the lugs off the bolt.  Neighbor brought it over for me to look at after "it was really loud last time I shot it" according to him.  He had bought it new, probably put less than 1,000 rounds through it.

I did own a ban-era that had the AK-74 compensator on it.  It had a full 16" barrel, so I was able to chuck it in a lathe and turn it down to removed the blind pin and put a regular flash hider after the sunset.  It shot well, but I got rid of it and got a Colt 6920 in 2011.  There was nothing wrong with that Bushmaster, and probably should have kept it and rebarreled it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Bushmaster from the 90s worked very well.
View Quote
I have a 90's ban-era Hbar with no muzzle brake.   It is chrome lined and does not have a free floated tube.   For all of its shortcomings, it is one of my most accurate uppers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been assured by everyone here that Bushmaster is the same quality as KAC and therefore I've wasted my money
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I still have my M4gery from circa 2001-2002 and it’s never given me trouble. Can’t speak for other production years. I had to remove the Mini-Y comp though because it made my ears bleed.

Model “XM15-E2S-M4”

Wiki
View Quote
Still have my old ban-era E2S Shorty AK style as well and yep, the brake got removed as soon as the ban ended as it was ear splitting too.  It also got a mil-spec M-4 stock at the same time.  I can't remember the last time I shot it but it used to see a lot of range time, including as my first three gun rifle and as a loaner, and it always ran just fine.  Heck, I've got an older DPMS that I picked up in a group buy off Weaponeer that runs fine and even had an Olympic at one point that also worked well.  I'd have never bought an Olympic but I got it dirt cheap during a co-workers divorce sale (I want to say it was like $300 cash); I actually sold it for a profit during the Obama years.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Bushmaster, I bought a new gun from you in 2014, but bother didn't check it out to notice this obvious visual defect until 2018...

Hey Bushmaster Toyota, I bought a new gun car from you in 2014, but bother didn't check it out to notice this obvious visual defect until 2018...

Hey Bushmaster Apple, I bought a new gun iPhone from you in 2014, but bother didn't check it out to notice this obvious visual defect until 2018...

ect...

They will get it fixed (edited Refunded) for you.

First rule of buying any new gun is to CHECK IT OUT top to bottom BEFORE accepting it...

Remember, YOU are the "Ultimate" Quality Control Inspector.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Kris "Tanto" Paranto still uses his old school Bushmaster and took it through GRS quals.

After BM got bought up the garbage was being returned daily at Academy Sports according to the guy at my local AS gun counter.

Bushmaster is advertising in the Outdoor Channel lately but they are nothing like the old company.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a patrolman carbine made as they were transitioning of windam . Gun is solid
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a bushmaster many, many years ago, and it was a great rifle.  Based on the one I had, I would choose Bushmaster over one of the Colts that had that weird block inside the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#11]
My first AR was a Bushmaster XM15. Bought it in 2005. I still have it to this day, & I've never had an issue with it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Bushmaster had a reputation for making non staked AR bolts and overall shoddiness. That’s what you got.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bushmaster had a reputation for making non staked AR bolts and overall shoddiness. That’s what you got.
View Quote
at what point in time, though?  Some of us have owned Bushmasters for nearly 20 years.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

at what point in time, though?  Some of us have owned Bushmasters for nearly 20 years.
View Quote
I bought one in 2006, my first civilian AR purchase.  I did zero research.  I didn't really use the internet back then nor think that there would be an actual difference between any of the same time of gun.

Completely unstaked carrier key. I was far from the only one.  I saw pictures online of dealers taking pictures of many at the same time and it was all the same---not enough material displaced to do a damn thing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt.

(Or, Always Buy Colt )
View Quote
ah duh!

I've got one Colt Hbar and at least two BM lowers, one with an Armalite mid-length carbine upper, one with a Compass Lake/Kreiger barrel upper.  All three have been retrofitted with the CLE or BM 2 stage trigger.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
1999-ish.

At least that's about when mine was made.

Non-staked BCG. Thousands of rounds without issue. It's my match rifle now and I'm leaving it unstaked because I'm curious how long it will go without being a problem.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
My Bushmaster Texas DPS carbine that I got back in early 2008 (about when I joined) has staked gas key screws.  I have never had a malf with it, though in all fairness it has been quite a while since I have fired it as my BRD took me on to bigger and better things.  Pulled it out of the safe thanks to this thread, still dig it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bullshit
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#19]
The OLD Bushmaster was GTG.

The B in the original ABCs of ARs (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt)

My 20" A4gery Gov't profile is just fine.

A4gery by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't had one since 2004 (M4'gery) but that one was excellent....way more accurate than it should have been, and dead reliable.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't play the "my anecdote invalidates all the data" game.  It's just that you have the data wrong.  After 16 years here, I have never heard anyone bash the late-90s/early-00s-era Bushmasters for their quality.  Are there better options today? Sure. But at the time, they were great and they certainly weren't bad.
View Quote
Pre ban Bushmaster lower with a Colt upper was the way to go back in the dark times .
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]
My 2004-2005 Maine Bushie is great, still one of my go to rifles.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Let's go to the chart!

https://i.imgur.com/3oNf2T7.jpg
View Quote
Look at this OP!  That crooked FSB doesn't even have park under it!!  That thing is gonna get you killlllllleddddddd!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a Bushmaster Varminter in 2002. When I received it I could visually detect the barrel was canted to the right. Before I even fired it I contacted Bushmaster and they exchanged the upper with me and paid shipping both ways. Mistakes are made but it's what happens afterwards that counts.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The "chart" needs updating.
View Quote
It's funny that high pressure testing the bolts was always a quality feature.  One of the

things to come out of all the M4 replacement/HK 416 threads from some of the guys here

involved in procurement, as well as Knights Armament is that HPT actually costs usable

bolt life, by about 1/3 IIRC.  Some have suggested that it be done away with entirely.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I had an early 2000s Bushmaster that was an utterly reliable 3 MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bullshit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit
Not-staked bolt carrier or general shoddiness?

Because they DID have enough bolt carrier get out with staking that they were known for it.

Like I said above, I have one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I contracted BRD from a Bushmaster in 2001.  Yep, still iinfected to this day.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Sorry for your bad experience, but my old faithful beater gun is a Bushmaster since 2006 and it's been nothing but great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sorry for your bad experience, but my old faithful beater gun is a Bushmaster since 2006 and it's been nothing but great.
View Quote
I believe you. It appears that like Remington there is a clear difference between pre and post freedom group.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Old BM put out some junk once in a while

Not Olympic level of shit , but seemed to have bad runs here and there .

Worst I can remember was late 99 with Y2K and the CA awb looming I suspect they were just shoving shit out the door as fast as they could and figured fix it later

Which they did .
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top