Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But, that's not what happened, is it? The people who bought the Nintendo retro box were the same people who wouldn't have pirated the ROMs in the first place. The people who pirated the ROMs were never going to buy the retro box, either.

In fact, I'd argue that but for the piracy of retro ROMs, Nintendo would have never discovered the retro market.
View Quote
To go a step further, the retro box has like 12 games on it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
An artist sells 100 prints of a painting they made 30 years ago.
They never paint that image or release a print of that image again.
I take a high quality scan/picture of 1 of those 100 prints and put it online for people to view for free.
Some of those people have the image reproduced and put it on their wall.

Theft?

The artist still owns the rights to that image. They COULD potentially release a print of it again, even though they have not done anything with the image for 3 decades. They MAY have been deprived of that potential future profit. IF the people who copied and printed the image are BELIEVED to be potential customers of an official print.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's exactly what happens.  I tried to find Horatio Hornblower DVDs once.  BBC did not sell them.  But that doesn't negate BBC's right to sue anyone who lets you download them.  IP law is currently retarded, and gets moreso every day because big companies like it, and Congress likes them.  Meanwhile, average slobs who just want to play an old game or watch an old TV show have zero representation in Congress.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's exactly what happens.  I tried to find Horatio Hornblower DVDs once.  BBC did not sell them.  But that doesn't negate BBC's right to sue anyone who lets you download them.  IP law is currently retarded, and gets moreso every day because big companies like it, and Congress likes them.  Meanwhile, average slobs who just want to play an old game or watch an old TV show have zero representation in Congress.
It's stupid that something becomes too unprofitable to keep in print so it becomes no longer available BUT, someone can be successfully sued for making a copy of it to enjoy.

The originator refuses to sell it but also protects the dissemination of something they refuse to bring to market.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Copyright protection has been extended to ludicrous lengths. 95 years from publication for video games is ridiculous when you consider the first copyright term was 14 years and renewable if the author was still living for only an additional 14 years.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you saying that copyright law is not capitalistic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of fair weather capitalists on this board.  Stealing is stealing whether it is tangible property or 1s and 0s.  you are not entitled to the fruits of a company's labor.
>Capitalist
>Defends copy right law

Yes.

Its government intervention that slows market competition
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@happycynic
I'm not going to disagree that there are problems with the current IP laws. I deal with them every day.
But please go learn the difference between copyrights, patents and trademarks, and what they do and do not apply to, before attempting to construct IP analogies.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

These sites should have requested a licensing agreement
View Quote
Were they even charging $ for the roms/games?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You forgot rape. It'd be rape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you cloned yourself and fucked it, would it be incest, regular homesexual sex, or masturbation?

If we can answer this question I think we can really get to the bottom of the piracy issue.
I thought about adding that in.

Then I thought, if you wanted to literally fuck yourself you would also be down to get fucked by yourself.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To go a step further, the retro box has like 12 games on it.
View Quote
Really they should have added an ability to (officially) add games to them.

I own both, but there are only so many times you can play Mario Kart.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Which is why I say let the black market (pirates in this case) establish a market and then Nintendo can capitalize on the nostalgia.

For anyone who claimed that the rooms hurt Nintendo's classic sales (NES, SNES) they're wrong. They sold out in a day at release. Much like everything Nintendo does they did it in short supply to maintain a facade of demand. Earthbound itself makes the SNES version worth the money, much less the rest of my childhood on that console.

Those little consoles are awesome for the guy who plays Roms, as they are now able to play their favorite games on their big screen TV. Nintendo needs to release more of these deals. They clearly make money.

Heck, look at Halo. People (myself included) bought their anniversary edition for games we already owned with some graphical updates. When FF7 comes out with a fresh new modern skin it will make millions. Nostalgia is a huge niche for gamers, Nintendo should capitalize on it, not subdue it.

I only hope they have plans to do so instead of let many of these rooms die.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's stupid that something becomes too unprofitable to keep in print so it becomes no longer available BUT, someone can be successfully sued for making a copy of it to enjoy.

The originator refuses to sell it but also protects the dissemination of something they refuse to bring to market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Creators should just give according to their abilities so you can take according to your needs, right comrade?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of fair weather capitalists on this board.  Stealing is stealing whether it is tangible property or 1s and 0s.  you are not entitled to the fruits of a company's labor.
>Capitalist
>Defends copy right law

Yes.

Ah, since that's clarified: you are completely incorrect.

IP law is a protection of property, which is a valid function of government, and supports innovation. Duplication of copyrighted works reduces investment in innovation by removing huge portions of the future benefits of idea innovation, and slows production and market growth.

The issue is when those protections over extend and last too long. Then ip laws become detrimental. I believe we've crossed that line on copyrights. The patent system seems to be much more functional.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Then I thought, if you wanted to literally fuck yourself you would also be down to get fucked by yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you cloned yourself and fucked it, would it be incest, regular homesexual sex, or masturbation?

If we can answer this question I think we can really get to the bottom of the piracy issue.

This is getting weird...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Creators should just give according to their abilities so you can take according to your needs, right comrade?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a creator refuses to sell something, what value does a copy of it have?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you'd be into getting fucked by that hot chick you want to fuck?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Piracy and Physical theft are 2 different things.

Is it hurting you if I carbon copy cloned the now yours old clapped out 68 Chevy pickup that you stole? ------
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they still selling those games?

How are they injured if they’re not losing any sales? Piracy of games still being sold is one thing but it’s a bit different when it’s a decades old game the company has abandoned.
Is it hurting you if I steal your old clapped out 68 Chevy pickup off your back forty?  You're not using anymore...

Is it hurting you if I carbon copy cloned the now yours old clapped out 68 Chevy pickup that you stole? ------
Yes, it lowers the value of all existing 68 Chevy pickups.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IP law is a protection of property, which is a valid function of government, and supports innovation. Duplication of copyrighted works reduces investment in innovation by removing huge portions of the future benefits of idea innovation, and slows production and market growth.

The issue is when those protections over extend and last too long. Then ip laws become detrimental. I believe we've crossed that line on copyrights. The patent system seems to be much more functional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
>Capitalist
>Defends copy right law

Yes.

So it does what I said it does?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There must be some value if you want to go to the effort to make a copy, but probably not enough to get the creator off the couch to make you a legal copy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#19]
As one poster already said, ROMS are the digital equivalent of photocopying a book that you own.

Regardless of what the law says, it's not morally acceptable to prohibit the property owner from creating or acquiring a copy as long as its not intended for multiple use. A ROM distribution site is not selling those copies, and should be a perfectly fine way of distributing copies to legitimate owners. The ones downloading those copies without being a legitimate owner are the ones who are acting in a morally unacceptable manner.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is getting weird...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is getting weird...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I take a high quality scan/picture of 1 of those 100 prints and put it online for people to view for free.

Theft?

The artist still owns the rights to that image. They COULD potentially release a print of it again, even though they have not done anything with the image for 3 decades. They MAY have been deprived of that potential future profit. IF the people who copied and printed the image are BELIEVED to be potential customers of an official print.
View Quote
This is a great example. If the artist sees a demand for their art, in many instances it may motivate them to SELL IT again.

It is also why copywrite laws need to be less than a third of what they are now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
>Capitalist
>Defends copy right law

Yes.

Ah, I didn't realize that you were a politician.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#23]
At the end of the day, theft is unrestrained capitalism.  It is a system that exists in many places.  We have a system of laws to prevent this.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There must be some value if you want to go to the effort to make a copy, but probably not enough to get the creator off the couch to make you a legal copy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a very nebulous standard.

If the creator has so little value in their own IP that they can't find a profitable market for it, then whose sales are hurt by copying the IP? What monies are deprived the creator when they refuse to attempt to make a profit on the item you've copied?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are they injured if they’re not losing any sales? Piracy of games still being sold is one thing but it’s a bit different when it’s a decades old game the company has abandoned.
Is it hurting you if I steal your old clapped out 68 Chevy pickup off your back forty?  You're not using anymore...

No, you're confusing the law of supply and demand with IP law. Unless you're just being a smartass in GD, then you're right on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Theft?

View Quote
If you own one of the prints and create the copy you are not stealing IMO.

The people who take that copy and reproduce it are stealing however as they never paid for it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At the end of the day, theft is unrestrained capitalism.  It is a system that exists in many places.  We have a system of laws to prevent this.
View Quote
Uhh... Voluntary exchange is one of the core tenets of capitalism. I'm not sure "theft" fits that paradigm.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread makes me want to order my child slaves to build me another McNuke.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If the creator has so little value in their own IP that they can't find a profitable market for it, then whose sales are hurt by copying the IP? What monies are deprived the creator when they refuse to attempt to make a profit on the item you've copied?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a lawyer. I can be good at nebulous.
IP law grants a government backed monopoly. I'm not going to argue if it's right or wrong; it's the way the law is today.
If you make a copy that isn't fair-use without a licence then you've infringed. If you make a lot of copies and start making bank you're going to get sued.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
IP law grants a government backed monopoly. I'm not going to argue if it's right or wrong; it's the way the law is today.
If you make a copy that isn't fair-use without a licence then you've infringed. If you make a lot of copies and start making bank you're going to get sued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I already conceded it was against the law. I just don't think it's morally wrong.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#31]
It is absolutely theft.

What if Nintendo plans to sell these old games in 30 years? These emulator companies flooded the market with the games illegally, so Nintendo wouldn't be able to sell them for much profit now.

The games are Nintendo's, to do with as they please.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
>Capitalist
>Defends copy right law

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
>Capitalist
>Defends copy right law

ROM Lyfe 4 Ever
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Oh, I already conceded it was against the law. I just don't think it's morally wrong.
View Quote
Jeffrey Dahmer probably had thoughts on morality as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It is absolutely theft.

What if Nintendo plans to sell these old games in 30 years? These emulator companies flooded the market with the games illegally, so Nintendo wouldn't be able to sell them for much profit now.
View Quote
Except Nintendo did just that and couldn't keep up with the demand for those old games on their hardware.

And, again, I'd argue that ROMs were a significant catalyst for the success of the retro game console.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It is absolutely theft.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be careful, your straw man might catch fire when God strikes you down for engaging in logical fallacies.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Except Nintendo did just that and couldn't keep up with the demand for those old games on their hardware.

And, again, I'd argue that ROMs were a significant catalyst for the success of the retro game console.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is absolutely theft.

I agree...but it doesn't matter if Nintendo did a shitty job...still theft.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Copyright protection has been extended to ludicrous lengths. 95 years from publication for video games is ridiculous when you consider the first copyright term was 14 years and renewable if the author was still living for only an additional 14 years.

Kharn
View Quote
We have Disney to thank for that change.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

Why don’t you just call him Hitler?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It is absolutely theft.

The games are Nintendo's, to do with as they please.
View Quote
That’s nonsense. If Nintendo had released their retro consoles with something like Mario/Duckhunt included but with the option to download any game off their web store for a couple bucks each they’d have made a massive amount of money. There are people missing the consoles to try and get them to play games other than the tiny percentage that Nintendo saw fit to include.

Nintendo abandoned these games a long time ago.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Were they even charging $ for the roms/games?
View Quote
One site was not charging for games, and seemed like it was trying to archive them instead.

Some people actually claim Nintendo took one of the roms off a site and sold it for profit. It would be hilarious if true.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Be careful, your straw man might catch fire when God strikes you down for engaging in logical fallacies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can see how you might think copyright infringement shouldn't be punishable by death, but it'd sure make my job a lot more interesting.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#43]
There are over 600 virtual console games for sale on Nintendo’s website. From NES(247 games) through the Nintendo DS.

Those who say they don’t sell it, it’s abandonware, they don’t want money etc are either liars or ignorant.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I can see how you might think copyright infringement shouldn't be punishable by death, but it'd sure make my job a lot more interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely a lawyer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How are they injured if they're not losing any sales? Piracy of games still being sold is one thing but it's a bit different when it's a decades old game the company has abandoned.
View Quote
Well...it's pretty fucking complicated - but Nintendo was stealing from them. First rule of a side hustle, steal from your dealer, then oust him.

Did Nintendo download a Mario ROM and sell it back to us? - Here''s A Thing
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

I thought about it but didn't want to explicitly invoke Godwin's law. There's enough bad legal reasoning in this thread already.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@happycynic
I'm not going to disagree that there are problems with the current IP laws. I deal with them every day.
But please go learn the difference between copyrights, patents and trademarks, and what they do and do not apply to, before attempting to construct IP analogies.
View Quote
That's part of the problem.  You can't start a small business anymore without paying some lawyer $500 an hour on everything.  We're well past "problems" with current IP law.  The current system is designed to benefit large companies at the expense of smaller businesses who can't afford legions of lawyers.  I had a client who put an eagle in their logo, then got the threatening trademark letter from a much larger company in their industry saying it looked too much like their falcon.  Seriously.  A fucking eagle, in America.  How many companies have eagles in their logos?

Hell, Star Wars fracking sued everyone, including Battlestar Galactica (classic), and even sued lobbying groups during the 1980s for calling Reagan's SDI initiative "Star Wars."  And these suits are expensive, even if you win.  "Here Mr. Small Businessman, you were totally vindicated.  Now how do you want to pay your $500,000 in legal fees?  Cash or check?"  IP law is actively crushing innovation.  How many great sci fi shows were cancelled or didn't get made for fear that Lucas would sue?  This Nintendo case is the perfect example.  Does Nintendo have to create a competitive product?  Does Nintendo even have to offer a legal alternative?  Nope.  Just sue.  Fuck you small businessman.  Please submit your application for you standard no-benefits HR hellscape job at Too Big to Fail, Inc.  Also pay your taxes so that when Too Big to Fail, Inc. is looted by the investors and/or the unions, the government can bail them out.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/a-history-star-wars-legal-855337
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
A more accurate comparison would be if someone snapped pictures of it without flash out of sight.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There are over 600 virtual console games for sale on Nintendo’s website. From NES(247 games) through the Nintendo DS.

Those who say they don’t sell it, it’s abandonware, they don’t want money etc are either liars or ignorant.
View Quote
Which is a rather recent development in those games lifespan.

As some have theorized, the popularity of emulation software and dedicated hardware to run it is likely the reasoning Nintendo made that decision. They were all like "fuck you, we're not going to take your money and do that" and then people were all like " *shrug* ok I guess I'll download it then." And then Nintendo was all like "oh shit, i bet we could have made a lot of money doing that."
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There are over 600 virtual console games for sale on Nintendo's website. From NES(247 games) through the Nintendo DS.

Those who say they don't sell it, it's abandonware, they don't want money etc are either liars or ignorant.
View Quote
...and how many of those 600 virtual console games did Nintendo pirate from pirates?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top