Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 3:21:26 AM EDT
my son who lives in S.Cal. in an area that was burned out, he was NOT !! his home & 10 others were in an "island" that was spared, he & a friend went to help the friends cousin salvage what ever might be left, when they got there the cousin was standing in the corner where his gun room was..., crying & holding the warpped barrel of an AR-15, the guns had been hung on a wall, ammo cans had been stacked neatly, now what is left of the 5 AR-15s & one M-16 is a solid puddle of melted aluminum, the ammo cans had burst open & solidified melted lead & brass were all over, the reloading press was also partialy melted, the only thing left of the 7 hand guns were the steel parts, one revolver had been loaded & apparently "blew up" the cylinder only had the center left on the axel & top strap was gone.

all in all the man lost about $25,000 in guns & equipment & none of it was salvageable, not even some of his knife collection. also not covered by insurance because they were "assault weapons"..., remember, this was in Commiefornia !!!

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow...Thats terible.   I would have figured that his homeowners insurance would have covered them.  You mean it actually states in his policy that assault weapons are not covered?  Stinkin insurance companys are always trying to get out of paying up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#2]
OMG! Worst nightmare come true!
At least there were no fatalities, and you still have your son and can help him possibly "regroup".
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
That's terrible about the guns. But atleast everyone is safe. I don't know about insurance coverage in California. But most insurance companys only cover a small value say $1000 in home owners insurance for jewelry and guns if any. I had this happen to me when I moved into my new house in 1986 it was broken into and my guns and Wifes jewelry were stolen.You may need a special rider on the policy or a separate gun owners policy. I can imagine the heart ache, pain, suffering of not only loosing your home but all your hard earned collections. BobK
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
AAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHH!!!!

That is SO F*#&ING disgusting!  You MUST be kidding!  Nothing was covered?  I HATE that place.  I am SO glad we moved seven years ago.

I bumped my insurance as my collection grew...even though everything is in a fire-resistant safe.  I'd be devastated if I lost it all.

That is just terrible...[>(]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#5]
[>Q]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I like to think of Texas as the gun cabinet to the world, & Kali as the gun black hole of the universe. I lost 3 guns to theft while stationed in Kali. Guns in Kali just keep getting sucked in from all directions, never to be seen again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, that sucks. But I got a question. About $25,000 in guns and equiptment and no $1,000 gun safe. Not that it would have helped much in that kind of fire but, he may have been able to save something.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you really think a fire safe would have saved his precious items when the whole house burned down?  I've heard a lot of safe manufacturers say that if there is a fire in your house/room that gets put out then your guns are fairly safe.  But most seem to waffle on the fact that if your whole house burns down, that fire safe isn't going to do much.  Maybe I'm wrong.

What kind of reloading machine was it?  If it was a Dillon, I'll buy it for $10 plus the shipping cost.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
If he did a planeed evac from the house, why not take the guns with him?

M-16 is mighty valuable and easily portable.

I am also confused, I thought you needed a safe in order to have NFA items live with you.

A safe might have helped. If the reloading press was partially melted, that would make me think the heat was bed but no exactly blast furnace like.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Ditto on the Gun Safe comment.  I have no sympathy for someone foolish enough to have all that stuff and no Safe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Who is his insurance company?
My home owners / renters policy through USAA insurance company covered my possesions including my firearms and my dirt bike.
The limit on my the guns, jewlery and motorcycles was $20K.

Your story sounds pretty fishy to me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
My insurance company said $1,000 was the limit on jewelry and guns unless I paid for more. Told this by two different insurance companies.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#13]
And too bad he's not an NRA member that would have given him $5000 worth of policy. The wife and I are both members giving us $10,000 worth of protection.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Editted to add "assault weapons" are completely legal and fully insurable here. You can't buy new ones and you can't bring additional ones in - with rare exceptions - but there's no reason that they're not completly insurable.

Mine are all insured - first though Farmers, now though State Farm - the current policy writer didn't want to know what brand or type for the policy just the approximate total value and if I wanted replacement cost (yes) vice depreciated value. He did say that I ought to have purchase records and photographs or a video tape documenting everything - I do - in a fireproof safe.

Long before this clown got $25,000 worth of weapons he should have spent $800 on a safe. The loss is a tough lesson to learn. Some people's whole role in life might be to serve as a bad example to the rest of the world as what not to do.

PS: If any of the AR's were Olympic Arms they will rebuild the weapon with new parts, destroying the old, and re-using the old serial number. Again perfectly legal in California.

Hot hot does aluminum have to get before it melts? How about knife steel? That was quite a fire.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
What's with all the itemization? When I was a renter I had insurance on all of my possesions and nothing was "itemized". I only gave my agent an estimate of what the worth was of everything I owned. The more you claim, the more you pay for insurance. Same goes for home owners. You don't have to list everyhting you own. Why? Because it's impossible to list everything, plus, what would prevent dihonest people from saying they had an "original" of some outragiously expensive painting or whatever. So, you basically just get insurance for what you feel will cover your possesions.

He could have just bumped his insurance coverage up and then the guns would have been covered regardless!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Who is his insurance company?
My home owners / renters policy through USAA insurance company covered my possesions including my firearms and my dirt bike.
The limit on my the guns, jewlery and motorcycles was $20K.

Your story sounds pretty fishy to me.

State farm only covers $5k in "sporting goods", max $2500 per item.  I had to get riders for the rest of my guns.

I wonder about the M16 in CA, though...  I thought that was only legal for 01 & 07 FFLs with SOTs.  If the person in question was an SOT, he damned well better of had a safe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Put in a safe. Even if its a moderately priced one. Bolt to it the basement floor, or the lowest area of the home. Build a 4" cement block build up around it and pour concrete on the top after it is formed up. You now have a safe that is darn near impossible to move in a short amount of time, and you also have a 4 hour fire rating that NO safe manufacturer can touch. Believe me, it works wonders.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't imagine that someone would be so shortsighted as to bug out and leave his registered, transferrable, VERY VALUBABLE M16 behind.  WTF is wrong with this guy?

Gun safes are relatively cheap compared to a collection like that...even BIG gun safes with a lot of fire protection!

Priorities, man!  Priorities!  If you want to keep it, you have to protect it!

You know, even firebrick is pretty cheap.  And you can build a VERY effective makeshift gun safe (as far as fire protection is concerned) by lining your closet with firebrick. Use heavy gauge hardware cloth with steel rods under it for structural support.

A few hundred bucks would have saved the whole collection.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#19]
What about that material for the Heat Shields on the Space Shuttles?  Is it, or a comparable material available to the public? Imagine a guns safe lined with that material!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not buying this story because I live in SD and we had plenty of warning so who wouldn't grab their weapons??

also the homeowners insurance not covering AW's sounds like BS??

Just a hint for your friend your NRA membership covers guns.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Idiots in CA. can legally own Guns ?

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#22]
sounds like a moron,,,no pity here for the owner,,only the firearms! if true.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#23]
That's an awful thing to happen.  I don't know how much a gun safe could help in a fire like that.  However, there is a company called Carpenter Insurance that specializes in insuring valuable firearms.  800-472-7771.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#24]
A firearm "gives"back the "love"which it receives.Fuck the furniture!!!!!!save the guns.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Safeco here,  no itemizing,  although I had to choose an amount covering possessions apart from the amount covering the house itself. Not one question over what those possessions were.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My insurance company said $1,000 was the limit on jewelry and guns unless I paid for more. Told this by two different insurance companies.

mine is the same way, but it's only about another $100/year to insure all the guns for full replacement value.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Safeco here,  no itemizing,  although I had to choose an amount covering possessions apart from the amount covering the house itself. Not one question over what those possessions were.

John, same here. But I'm with Farmers. No itemization needed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I checked with my insurance company last week. They said definately I need to list jewelry, but unless the gun was something that was priceless, or very rare, then I did not need to add it to my insurance policy. Since there is an abundance of pre-bans, they can easily find replacement values...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I would just like to chime in about the NRA insurance if I could. I had two guns stolen. That was all I had a year ago. My customized SAR1, and my H&K USP .45 with a bunch of high caps for both. Most of you guys would laugh at a small gun collection like that. I was proud of it because my wife and I were just starting out and didn't have much money. I also couldn't afford a safe. My apartment was broken into twice. My guns were stolen(my favorite items) and my wifes car was stolen. She was home when it happened, sleeping off a night shift. My little puppy never barked. She probably licked the intruder silly. Mean little Pit Bull. The intruder then stole my wifes car by taking the keys off the table. It was a 1999 Camaro.

Point of the story: The NRA ponied up the dough for me to buy and even better SAR1, and a 1911. They gave me $850.00. They also cast no judgement on me. i will forever be an NRA member. They took care of me when I needed them. The police found my wifes car as well. It had been abandoned a mile away. I feel very lucky after that incedent. VERY lucky. Lucky my wife was safe, and lucky we were able to take possesion of most of our stuff that was stolen again.

THANK YOU NRA!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#30]
A gun safe wouldn't have helped much to salvage the guns.  The fire rating isn't long enough to sustain against a house burning to the ground.   If the aluminum melted, that means the fire got to at least 1200 degress F.  The description of the damage suggests the fire burned a lot longer than 30 minutes.

That's too bad about the guns, but they are only property.  They can be replaced in time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That's too bad about the guns, but they are only property.  They can be replaced in time.

In CA, not Assault Weapons....
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#32]
my insurance company said they'd insure my guns. i wanted to schedule them, so they wanted detailed documentation. i gave it to them all neat like...

THEY TURNED ME DOWN BECAUSE THE RIFLES WERE BLACK AND SPOOKY!!

i mean, i purposely went with this company because they said i'd be taken care of.

the fuckers!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If he did a planeed evac from the house, why not take the guns with him?

M-16 is mighty valuable and easily portable.

Exactly.  We had to evacuate Chatham County a few years ago for Hurricane Floyd and every one of my guns went with me.  The filled up the car, but they were FIRST priority.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#34]
The fact that makes you say he had a privatly owned M16 in California makes your entire story suspect.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#35]
for those who were harping about a safe, the entire room was a safe !! a walk in safe !! the man lost "other" guns that i did not mention, so that fills the $25,000 estimate...

as for insurance i have no details on that, i was just told about the lost guns..., & the condition of the remains of what was in that room.......

whether it sounds "fishy" or not, that is all i was told, i did not ask for details, i just sympathized with the poor fellow........
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Man what a sad story. Most of the big insurance companies limit the coverage for jewelry, guns, etc. to $1000. They want to to purchase additonal insurance in the form of a "Rider". To do this, the items have to be documented on the policy. Jewelry has to be professionally appraised. Excellent reason to shop around for your insurance and to read the policies thoroughly.

One last point, if the reloading press is a Dillon, call them and tell them about the fire. They will replace it for free with their no "BS" warranty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top