Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 1:52:32 PM EDT
In tv shows and movies they always shoot gasoline with a gun and it bursts into flames.  If you had tracers it would work, we proved that at bulletfest IV.  Tomarrow I will try shooting it, shooting it on a little cemen, on some metal and then i'll see if just a spark will start it if the cement and metal don't make a spark.  Has anyone tried this?  Does it actually work?  I poured gas on a red hot log and it just boiled and made a thick fog that settled to the ground and was very flammable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think I've ever seen lead cause a spark. Nor brass or copper for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Be sure that your friend with the video camera catches the audio of you saying, "Here, hold my beer. I'm gonna try somethin'."
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Last words out of a Rednecks mouth before he dies:

"He ya'll, watch this!"

CH
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, doesn't happen, but then neither do cars explode when they catch on fire, people dont go flying when shot, and guns DO have to be reloaded..

Its the movies, remember.. :D
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
and $1000 9 mm pistols are not disposable.
Waving a machine gun side to side will not kill 10 guys who are 25 yards away.
there is no such thing as "shoot to kill".

I know tracers would light the gas.  I just want to see if it would actually be possible given the right environment and such to light gas with a 223 bullet.  It disturbs me that there was something that might have been unrealistic in 24.  I  don't think jack bauer was using tracers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
and $1000 9 mm pistols are not disposable.
Waving a machine gun side to side will not kill 10 guys who are 25 yards away.
there is no such thing as "shoot to kill".

I know tracers would light the gas.  I just want to see if it would actually be possible given the right environment and such to light gas with a 223 bullet.  It disturbs me that there was something that might have been unrealistic in 24.  I  don't think jack bauer was using tracers.

OMG!  Something unrealistic on TV!  Say it ain't so!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
you need to rent a video called "deadly weapons", or if it's unavailable for rent, then just order it.  It takes care of all those myths you're so concerned (at 15 no less) of being the first one to debunk.
The first rule of being a grownup is, you are incapable of doing anything that someone before you hasn't done.

www.campingsurvival.com/deadweapvid.html

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009YP7P/104-3089831-8464728?v=glance
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried that trick that Henry Bowman used in Unintended Consequences when he put lighter flints inside a .22 hollow point. It threw a fine shower of sparks when it hit an I-beam but failed to ignite a small propane cylinder. It wouldn't penetrate a large cylinder. If you try it on gasoline you will need a substantial piece of steel, rock, or cement to make it spark. Good luck on your experiment. Let us know what happens. It might be a good idea to write a note on how to post on this site and keep it in your wallet, so that surviving witnesses or ER doctors can come here and let us know what became of you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Who was the guy here with the bright idea to drill a small hole in .22 lr bullets and insert a flint for a cigarette lighter?

He's shoot at steel plate and concrete, watch the sparks fly. Cool idea.

IIRC, he tried to ignite propane, gas, and other inflammable stuff with no success.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I tried that trick that Henry Bowman used in Unintended Consequences when he put lighter flints inside a .22 hollow point. It threw a fine shower of sparks when it hit an I-beam but failed to ignite a small propane cylinder. It wouldn't penetrate a large cylinder. If you try it on gasoline you will need a substantial piece of steel, rock, or cement to make it spark. Good luck on your experiment. Let us know what happens. It might be a good idea to write a note on how to post on this site and keep it in your wallet, so that surviving witnesses or ER doctors can come here and let us know what became of you.

Oh, it was you!  I have to try that sometime.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I think that the problem may not be the lack of spark, but that if the gasoline is just in a small puddle, there may not be a high enough concentration of volatile vapors to reach the lower explosive limit. Pouring gasoline on a glowing coal (a decidedly stooopid thing to try, nonetheless) without ignition probably indicated that the vapor concentration was well above the higher explosive limit.

While copper, lead and brass will not spark on concrete, the steel penetrator of SS109, if exposed to the abrasive surface, will. Furthermore, although the copper, lead and brass will not produce a spark, they may generate enough heat through friction to ignite volatile vapors.

Let us know.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The heat from a bullet hittimg metal might do it.

Its enough to melt metal, thats for sure.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
um...tagged for video???
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I am sure that all present would be in the know compared to most. However I agree with others who ahve stated that this will be no great feat. I dont think that you will surprise to many people.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nope, doesn't happen, but then neither do cars explode when they catch on fire, people dont go flying when shot, and guns DO have to be reloaded..

Also, starships don't make swooshing noises in space.

CW
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys remember hearin about those kids, several years ago,that shot a dynamite shack in a gravel pit or construction site and blew themselves to kingdome come,totalled their car,ect?

I think I remember one dude had all his cloths blown off.

Good idea
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
tagged for vid
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool. Tagged for later.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#19]

You guys remember hearin about those kids, several years ago,that shot a dynamite shack in a gravel pit or construction site and blew themselves to kingdome come,totalled their car,ect?

I think I remember one dude had all his cloths blown off.

Good idea

My grand father and his brothers found a satchel of really old and volatile dynamite outside of an old mining claim when they were younger.  They decided to shoot it because uh, they didn't want some teenager coming by and finding it.  One shot from a 30-06, blew it sky high and took a nice chunk out of the hill.  Luckily they were far enough away.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#21]
....bored,eh?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

CW

Have you been there to prove that?

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

Have you been there to prove that?

No, but my new buddy   says its so. I believe him/her/it since him/her/it removed the tinfoil and let me see the truth of the universe.

Cw  

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
They sell explosive tipped hand gun ammo on gunbroker.com that might work.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=13838852
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I've never had any luck lighting gosoline with a lit cigarette either?

How do they do it in the movies?  Are they using a special blend or is it because I was using filtered lights?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Gas isn't flammable its the vapors. With out vapors you get not even fire so take a 5gal jug and put half a gallong of gas in it on a hot day and let it sit in the sun. Then if you really want to be smart stand about 10 yards from it and load that tracer and pow. Hope you don;t find melting plastic painfull when it burns onto your skin.

Don't do anything stupid. You can make a explosion by shooting a gas tank if conditions are right. It isn't a movie effect but a boom ugly smoke nasty fire effect.

This is like the guy on this forum who talked about shooting the oxygen tank he found.

This is how people with guns get tagged a gun "nut"
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I shot 2 of those mini camping propane tanks with tracers a while ago and neither exploded.  We threw the first one in the pond and it didn't do anything too exciting except make a carpet of fog over the water.  The next one we did on land and it went airborne and flew 100 yards and landed about 10 yards behind us.  Neither one produced any flame though, we were disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Last words out of a Rednecks mouth before he dies:

"He ya'll, watch this!"

CH
View Quote

Last words of the redneck cousin before he dies, "Hey I can to that too!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top