Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello

So, where does a brotha score the vicious bolt/ejector stickers?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hello

So, where does a brotha score the vicious bolt/ejector stickers?
View Quote
Arfcom Shop, top right corner of the page
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thinking about taking the local class to start.

Talk me in or out.
View Quote
if you are the type who can’t walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, skip it and find a different hobby.

If you are, I highly recommend taking the class, buying good gear, and a bike no more than 5 years old. Preferably a middleweight 2 cylinder bike.

I can’t imagine not having a bike in my life.... so I have 6.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rode for over 30 years. Got hit 3 times. Last time I ended up underneath a Buick driven by an old lady.

Had 7 bikes in the garage at one time. Last one was a BMW R100S take you could ride all day over 100mph and it would idle back to normal idle when you stopped.

I miss it, but I can still walk and after the last time I was hit wife asked me to quit.
View Quote
My last crash was a bad one -- blue-haired granny in front of me thought the green light was red and slammed on the brakes. I didn't hit her, but stood the bike up on its front wheel and got spit off and landed on my head. Got a sprained wrist and sprained ankle and fucked up my helmet.

My wife asked me to keep riding.

Three crashes in 47 years. I can't complain.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Check out a Honda vtx 1300.  Can pretty much steal them right now.  Great starter bike.  Rock solid reliable and you wont want to cry if you tip it over.
View Quote
Honda VT750 Shadow looks similar, weighs less, is easier to handle, is a lot cheaper, and would be easier to re-sell.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm going to go slightly against the grain here.  If you have the $$$$ buy what makes you happy within reason.  I bought a new FZ-07 after my class and never put a scratch on it in the two years that I owned it.  I went into it with the mindset that I wasn't going to crash or drop it.  Assuming that you are going to wreck or bail in a parking lot is self defeating.  The older starter bikes can be problematic if you aren't mechanically inclined.   If you buy at the end of the season you can get a new bike for close to the price of a used unit.  I was able to get a screaming deal on a popular model because it was 35 degrees outside and end of the month.  CycleTrader is a good place to check regional pricing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm going to go slightly against the grain here.  If you have the $$$$ buy what makes you happy within reason.  I bought a new FZ-07 after my class and never put a scratch on it in the two years that I owned it.  I went into it with the mindset that I wasn't going to crash or drop it.  Assuming that you are going to wreck or bail in a parking lot is self defeating.  The older starter bikes can be problematic if you aren't mechanically inclined.   If you buy at the end of the season you can get a new bike for close to the price of a used unit.  I was able to get a screaming deal on a popular model because it was 35 degrees outside and end of the month.  CycleTrader is a good place to check regional pricing.

Quoted:
Oh i figured..

What i WANT is an indian scout... what i am looking at is anything on craigs list that isn't a sport bike.
FZ/MT07’s are great first bikes.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
what is the oldest bike you guys would recommend..

i am seeing some that are about 10 years old for 3-4k
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing wrong with a well cared for bike that age.

Details?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Details?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details?
just a trend i am seeing on cycletrader during my research
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I loved riding.  I want to get back on a bike in the worst way.

I will not be riding a motorcycle on the roads these days.  It's not my ability to ride that has me tweaked, it's too many people who are too absorbed with everything except driving.

It's just not worth it anymore.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know about the other bikes, but you'll get bored of the Suzuki quickly because of its single cylinder.
View All Quotes
Is that bad for a learner bike though? Or are you talking about it being to weak to power out of a bad spot?

these aren't really bikes I am interested in to buy now. They are just what I am seeing as far as price points go. Please remember I have no idea what an appropriate price for a learner bike it. At all
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is that bad for a learner bike though? Or are you talking about it being to weak to power out of a bad spot?

these aren't really bikes I am interested in to buy now. They are just what I am seeing as far as price points go. Please remember I have no idea what an appropriate price for a learner bike it. At all
View Quote
I mean that once you get the hang of riding and are more comfortable, you’ll realize what a dog a single-cylinder cruiser is. If you want a single, look at dual-sport/adventure bikes like a Suzuki DR-400/650 or Kawasaki KLR. They’re not fast but you can have a lot of fun tear-assing around in fire trails or someone’s land.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rode tons, raced road, dirt, and ice.

If you're middle aged, then skip it.
If you're young, take the class.
View Quote
This is dumb. Take the class.  I've ridden pretty much my whole life and still took the class when I bought my first street bike.  Something else to consider, take a intro-track day course after you get your license and bike.  Invaluable.

2nd biggest suggestion I have is dont let your ego decide your first bike.  Learn on something you dont mind dropping because you WILL drop your first bike. Grab something in good condition but cheap to learn on, sell it for what you bought it for if/when you get tired of it.

What kind of bike interests you?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don’t know about the other bikes, but you’ll get bored of the Suzuki quickly because of its single cylinder.
View Quote
5 bikes in the garage. My favorite is a thumper.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details?
Nothing at all wrong with getting an older bike that was well taken care of. Look around long enough and you'll get lucky. I paid $2250 for my 2006 FZ6, it had 9k miles on it when I got it and I put another 4k on it since then. Only thing I've had to do so far is just usual maintenance. Put a new set of tires on it, changed the oil, and cleaned/lubed the chain & sprocket as needed. I had to drive 6 hours round trip to get it, but it was worth it as it was damn near showroom new condition. Locally most people were wanting 3-4k for bikes with twice the mileage, 5-10 years older than that, and in far worse condition.

Main thing buying used is to not only check the obvious mechanical stuff but also check the body work. Look for missing decals or bolts that are messed up from wrench marks replacing stuff that aren't accessories. People love to try and sell problem bikes that have been wrecked and "fixed" for the same price as a good bike that legitimately hasn't been wrecked. Came across alot of those when I was looking for my first bike.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Take the Local Class...

Most new riders make the serious mistake of moving too fast to too much bike with too little experience...

It will help you to learn a good base of basics
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Dude it's a blast. Do it!  The LSP course is great.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
10 year old bike is fine.  Bikes from that era should be fuel injected, which is nice.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP, I'm going to get my first bike next month or in January too. I'm looking at a cheap chinese bike from CSC for my first one. That way when I damage it, it won't be a big deal.

Their TT250 dual sport is $2600 shipped to your door. CSC has a cafe-racer style motorcycle with the same engine as the TT250.

@Diesel_Maximus_2992
View Quote
@LuckyDucky

You know a bunch of their owners will let you test ride the bikes, right?

test ride
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wasn't telling him to skip training if he's middle aged, I was telling him to pass on the entire idea of riding.
View Quote
Seriously? I bought my first bike when I was 51 or so. What's so special about age when starting to ride? For that matter, had I began riding at 20 or 21, I would've killed my fucking self, no question about it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
My first learner bike at 52 was a BMW K75, a 750cc bike with shaft drive. I paid $3k for it. I chose this so IF I did get it totaled, it wouldn't be a new $20k new bike............  

Problem with older bikes are like older trucks: rubber items are beginning or well into dry rot. Hoses, belts, gaskets, etc become brittle after years of heat & cold. Shocks begin to leak, water pumps, fuel pumps begin to let go. The older the bike, the more likely a break down in Bumfuck Egypt.

I haven't looked at used bikes other than a BMW in over 20 years, so I don't know what's out there now. But knowing what I know now, there's no way *I* would want a bike older than 5-7 years old for reliability reasons. I would look at a 500-750cc size to start with, then bump up when you're ready to stretch your legs on road trips.

Much like cars & trucks, the Japanese probably lead in reliability, IMO. A gently used 750 or so should be available for not a whole lot of $$, IMO.

Might like to think about a used BMW 800GT? It was my second bike & very nimble in the curves. No cruise control though, sadly.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The kind of riding I want to do has an easy answer. Half of my desire is just for something fun and laid back for Sunny day commuting/ cruising around town with nowhere to go. the other half is litterally "because I haven't tried it yet"
View Quote
If you’re doing it right it won’t be laid back or relaxing.

Space out at your own peril.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
You guys are awesome, thanks for all the replies. a couple of points/clarifications that i would like to make.

I don't really have alot of money to throw at this. My current plan, finances permitting, is to take the class in the spring (I waffled and missed the last class of the season deciding on this) and look for a bike that i don't intend to keep to learn and then sell for about what i paid for it in a couple of seasons after i feel fairly confident that i wont spill out of my own sheer stupidity. I dont really want to go over 3-4k on the first bike.. if im honest, i would perfer to find something in the 1-2k range (if its possible to find something reliable in that range) to learn on then sell, and  then move on to a a nicer bike that i will want to keep for a long time. something like a Scout with ABS, I kinda like the triumphs now that i'm looking at more standard style bikes. The same with some of the Ducati's. something in the 700-1000cc area to keep learning but also take care of and keep looking good. about the only bike that i outright dont want is a sport bike.. i just dont like them, and that's not the kind of riding i want to do, namely because that's not the kind of driving i do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you're doing it right it won't be laid back or relaxing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The kind of riding I want to do has an easy answer. Half of my desire is just for something fun and laid back for Sunny day commuting/ cruising around town with nowhere to go. the other half is litterally "because I haven't tried it yet"
If you're doing it right it won't be laid back or relaxing.

i am not talking about not paying attention. i am speaking to the non sport bike "im gonna blow down the highway at 200mph/ i live for track days" type of riding. i want a laid back bike, not a fire breathing monster that is good for very little besides going fast and being uncomfortable, as a first, or even a second bike. I am fully aware that i may have some uninformed opinions in the matter, but that is just my thought processes at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do it
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Two biggest killers are speed and alcohol. Don't do those and you cut your mortality rate by 50%.
A lot also depends on where you are riding: rural, town or large metro. The more congested the streets, the bigger risk.
Rural roads have their own hazards: critters, poor mans blacktop, etc.

The main thing is to keep your head out of your ass when riding. Day dreaming will kill you.
And keep an eye behind you at a stop light. I've pulled out of the way a few times if they are coming up too fast. Flash your brake light a couple times as they approach.

First choice in a bike is subjective. Lots of people say don't get a small one because you will get bored. Possibly, but for learning on they are great. The resale on them is pretty good though. (Unlike the Harley market)
If you plan on going on a highway then a 650 would be the minimum I would get.
Getting a large one can take some getting used to. My Sportster is around 500# and I have picked it up a couple times. Not from a wreck but just from loosing my balance moving it. Shit happens. The Scout is about 550#.

I've averaged 5k miles each for the last three years. (After a 23 year break from riding)
I bought this three years ago for $3300. 2002 Sportster 883. The nice part is the aftermarket parts available is nuts!
It's mostly stock but it does what I want it to. Corners pretty damn well.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Two biggest killers are speed and alcohol. Don't do those and you cut your mortality rate by 50%.
A lot also depends on where you are riding: rural, town or large metro. The more congested the streets, the bigger risk.
Rural roads have their own hazards: critters, poor mans blacktop, etc.

The main thing is to keep your head out of your ass when riding. Day dreaming will kill you.
And keep an eye behind you at a stop light. I've pulled out of the way a few times if they are coming up too fast. Flash your brake light a couple times as they approach.
I have averaged 5k miles each for the last three years. (After a 23 year break from riding)
I bought this three years ago for $3300. 2002 Sportster 883. The nice part is the aftermarket parts available is nuts!
It's mostly stock but it does what I want it to.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/353455/DSCN3913a_jpg-737142.JPG
View Quote
the 883 is also on the list of possibilities, im dont think i have any real brand prejudices. i like indians mainly for the looks, but *shrug* im starting to like other bikes as i do some looking around.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
i am not talking about not paying attention. i am speaking to the non sport bike "im gonna blow down the highway at 200mph/ i live for track days" type of riding. i want a laid back bike, not a fire breathing monster that is good for very little besides going fast and being uncomfortable, as a first, or even a second bike. I am fully aware that i may have some uninformed opinions in the matter, but that is just my thought processes at the moment.
View Quote
Ninja 250.   Sell it in a year/5000 miles for what you paid for it and go shopping for your next bike.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#34]
OP, I have been riding on the street for 38 years, I have ridden all over the US, as well as Japan. I was an instructor for the MSF (CMSP) class and was the site coordinating instructor for a spot in San Diego a few years ago. Please take the class. You WILL learn some valuable life saving skills. Plus it's their bike, so if you drop it, no biggie as long as you are ok. If you decide to get a bike then after a few hundred miles take the experienced riders course. It's taught on YOUR bike and will enhance what you learned initially and will make you more confident of YOUR motorcycle. There has been a lot of good advice posted here. I would add, but good gear, but gear that FITS. Helmets being a prime example. Put it on and walk around the shop for an hour while you are trying it on. I can tell you from experience that a hotspot that goes migraine due to an improper fit is NO fun on a motorcycle trip 2 hours from home. It's dangerous. If the shop won;t let you wear a helmet for an hour then find a shop that will.

Have fun! Learn, and don't let testosterone get you! Groups of riders tend to go bad when it's all men. Know you limits and stay in them!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Honda shadow is a great learner bike. Kawa Vulcan 500 or 750cc would be similar. I once bought an early 90s Vulcan for $800. Sold it a year later for double.

Go to a local bike shop and sit on several to get an understanding of seat height and what may fit you. HD 883s are pretty small.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP, I have been riding on the street for 38 years, I have ridden all over the US, as well as Japan. I was an instructor for the MSF (CMSP) class and was the site coordinating instructor for a spot in San Diego a few years ago. Please take the class. You WILL learn some valuable life saving skills. Plus it's their bike, so if you drop it, no biggie as long as you are ok. If you decide to get a bike then after a few hundred miles take the experienced riders course. It's taught on YOUR bike and will enhance what you learned initially and will make you more confident of YOUR motorcycle. There has been a lot of good advice posted here. I would add, but good gear, but gear that FITS. Helmets being a prime example. Put it on and walk around the shop for an hour while you are trying it on. I can tell you from experience that a hotspot that goes migraine due to an improper fit is NO fun on a motorcycle trip 2 hours from home. It's dangerous. If the shop won;t let you wear a helmet for an hour then find a shop that will.

Have fun! Learn, and don't let testosterone get you! Groups of riders tend to go bad when it's all men. Know you limits and stay in them!
View Quote
i can promise you one thing, i will not be purchasing, if i purchase, until after the class.. sure, motorcycles are dangerous, but im not fucking around with what safety i can put into the process.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Honda shadow is a great learner bike. Kawa Vulcan 500 or 750cc would be similar. I once bought an early 90s Vulcan for $800. Sold it a year later for double.

Go to a local bike shop and sit on several to get an understanding of seat height and what may fit you. HD 883s are pretty small.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/380364/CFC9EE32-DB79-4D99-93D7-EE43C4E61D6C_jpeg-737181.JPG
View Quote
im maybe a shade under 6ft and 195. it that helps get an idea of type of bike might fit me as a generality
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's pretty typical. I did it just to see if I could. Kids grown and completed all my life goals so why not?

I rode on the street for 10 years. Never laid one down after 5 bikes. Came close twice but managed to ride it out. Almost run over by cars every time out. (I hate cagers)

I parked my last bike due to some physical issues. Just not safe for me to ride with nerve issues in my hands.

Before you make any serious financial investment take the MSF course.

Wear all the gear, all the time!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#39]
52 years of riding and I will ride as long as I'm physically able.  No regrets no matter what!!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#40]
10 years old really isn't a big deal and by then pretty much all of them were EFI. You want EFI.....don't fuck around with some jank ass carburetor or even worse 4 of them fuckers.

Previous owners upkeep has a lot more to do with the condition than age or mileage.

Motorcycles,  even non performance bikes like cruisers,  take a lot more upkeep than a car. You don't have to be a mechanic to own one but you will want to have and know how to use basic hand tools for adjustments and maintenance.

You will not save money by riding your bike to work. I spend .12- .16 cents per mile just on tires.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Class is the best way to start out, a good low-investment way to try it out and see if you'd like to pursue it.

The usual pointers if you decide to continue:
Budget more than you think youll need for gear
Don't buy the bike you really want for your first bike, because you'll likely fuck it up
Everyone on the road will try to kill you and won't even care

You have to accept that fact that every time you get on the bike, there's a very real chance you won't be coming home.

Been riding for over 10 years, wouldn't give it up for the world.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can go easily 20 years old with something like a Honda Shadow as long as it's been cared for.  My wife rides a 95 Shadow 600 and it's nearly as good as the day it was new.  I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the USA if it had to be done.  ETA if you're looking at cruisers stay with at least a 750-800 cc and it will take a long time to get boring but will also be a great started bike.  Power on V-twin cruisers is much different from say a sport bike or even a standard.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been riding for 4-5 months.

My advice: take the class, get the license, buy a bike for no more than $2k, get a good helmet and ce rated gear. Make sure your bike is mechanically sound enough to ride and check the date on the tires. I looked at a secondhand bike recently that had tires with a mfg date of 1995 and the guy rode the thing occasionally!

Ride as much as you can and don't push your limits. Get comfortable and slowly build your skills without being a risk taker. Ride your friends bikes when you get comfortable and plan on replacing your first bike in 6 months to a year.

I think you'll love it, I do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can go easily 20 years old with something like a Honda Shadow as long as it's been cared for.  My wife rides a 95 Shadow 600 and it's nearly as good as the day it was new.  I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the USA if it had to be done.
View Quote
I have been riding for over a decade. I’ve been down twice. Once could have been fatal. I feel like it’s not the bike you ride but more how you ride?

With that being said I have rode brand new Harley’s off the lot and rode old junkers that were bought cheap. In my bag of a dozenish bike my fave is a 1996 electroglide that I bought and modified for so cheap it’s stupid. If they are cared for then they deserve to be rode!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OP, I'm going to get my first bike next month or in January too. I'm looking at a cheap chinese bike from CSC for my first one. That way when I damage it, it won't be a big deal.

Their TT250 dual sport is $2600 shipped to your door. CSC has a cafe-racer style motorcycle with the same engine as the TT250.

@Diesel_Maximus_2992
View Quote
From my experience (inside the motorcycle manufacturing industry) it will likely stop working altogether before you get a chance to damage it.

The only exceptions would be Kymco or CF Moto. They've actually invested in advanced engineering and quality control, and use a lot of Japanese-designed components.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Classes are for pussies,so are license endorsements and helmets. Get a Harley,a Sons of Anarchy vest and become a road captain.
View Quote
Be sure to get the new electric Harley though
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1

Ohhh a helmet hot spot SUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKS. I made that mistake once. It was a high dollar helmet but wasn't correct for my head shape. Ironically a cheaper helmet fit perfect although a little heavier.

A good fitting helmet is everything. If it fits you don't even notice it. I prefer full face helmets. On a ride I got hit by a freaking beatle, I swore was mothra when it hit my face shield. It snapped my head back. I am so glad I was wearing a full face helmet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
10 years old really isn't a big deal and by then pretty much all of them were EFI. You want EFI.....don't fuck around with some jank ass carburetor or even worse 4 of them fuckers..
View Quote
For several years (about a decade ago) my daily rider was a 1956 BMW R50. It never failed to start on the first kick, and never failed to get me back home.

Drum brakes, float bowls, 6-volt electrics, kick starter...

But it helped that, at the time I first learned to ride, that kind of bike was considered "modern".
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
10 years old really isn't a big deal and by then pretty much all of them were EFI. You want EFI.....don't fuck around with some jank ass carburetor or even worse 4 of them fuckers.
View Quote
Truth.

I’ve come to hate the four FCRs in my 01 R1
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Classes are for pussies,so are license endorsements and helmets. Get a Harley,a Sons of Anarchy vest and become a road captain.
User name seems to fit?

ETA meant for outofbattery
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top