Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 10:45:25 AM EDT
OK in the past, I left the battery in my bike over the winter and the next year, it was dead and couldn't be recharged.

I have heard things like, take out the battery and store it on a block of wood in the basement.

What can I do to prevent myself from having to buy another battery next year?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep the battery from freezing.
Placing it on a piece off wood in the basement is not a bad idea.
Invest in a trickle charger for the battery.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#2]
i bought a trickle charger from walmart.

The battery leads are detachable from the charger. Attach leads to battery and run down side of frame. When bike is being stored attach trickle charger. I usually run mine overnight once a week or so. Never had a problem with the battery.

Mike

Ps. i also don't live in a cold enviornment.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Easy,  Ride all winter.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You didn't say if the battery in question was a lead/acid, or a glass matted one. (maint. free) If it's a lead/ acid one, make sure it's topped off with distilled water before charging. Like the guys said earlier, set it on a piece of wood, not bare concrete.
AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top