Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 7:30:39 AM EDT
Driving cross country for as deer hunting trip.

New Mexico highway patrolman got me for 89 in a 75.  He gave me a verbal warning but made me get out of the car and wrote down all my info on his log. He seemed new, kept falling into "verbal judo" mode.

In Texas, a K9 officer from some sheriffs agency pulled me over for 79 in a 70.  He was very folksy. "Sir, I'm with the Sheriff's department. The speed limit in the great state of Texas is 70MPH, you were going 79MPH." (Yes sir, I was)  He was wearing browm BDU's and carrying a 1911. Had a flat top and a goatee (unusual for uniformed patrol) and was driving a chevy Avalanche.

In the first stop I got the impression the highway patrolman was rather new, and very much a traffic cop.

In the second stop I got the impression the Texan deputy was only using traffic stops as a way to look for drug couriers and such.

Both were professional, neither violated my rights. Niether even asked to pat me down or search the car. The Texan deputy had a smoother delivery and appeared, to my trained eye, to be a better cop and a man who had "been there and done that" for a number of years.

I didnt badge my way out of either stop. I dont even carry my credentials outside of California. My occupation never came up. However crooks and cops are usually pretty good at spotting cops due to certain mannerisms and speech patterns. So it's possible that they figured it out on their own.

I was fully expecting to be cited both times, and willing to pay the fines, as I was clearly speeding. For me, speeding on cross country drives is a calculated economic risk. I'm willing to risk the monetary fine in order to arrive at my destination several hours earlier. On clear roads, in good weather, with a well maintained car I know I can safely drive above the posted limit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Both were professional, neither violated my rights. Niether even asked to pat me down or search the car.

Jesus man, is that what you expect from Cali cops?

The only reason anyone would be searched or patted down around here is if the officer legitimately suspected alcohol or drugs.  Do they do pat-downs and searches on random traffic stops?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 On clear roads, in good weather, with a well maintained car I know I can safely drive above the posted limit.

Not to mention your EVOC training, having the one hand that is usually holding the mic as you deal with a bitchy dispatcher that tells you everything but what you want to know. And travelling alot closer to the posted speed limit then a code response usually requires Hahahahaha yeah I think the 9 over was a gimme.

The very best part on a trip like that is not having to ditch your fast food dinner while leaving the drive thru for a robbery in progress on a crazy friday night.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Both were professional, neither violated my rights. Niether even asked to pat me down or search the car.

Jesus man, is that what you expect from Cali cops?

The only reason anyone would be searched or patted down around here is if the officer legitimately suspected alcohol or drugs.  Do they do pat-downs and searches on random traffic stops?

No traffic stop is "Random".  Since I told both officers I was on my way to a deer hunting trip, they both had cause to believe there would be weapons in the car. Since the NM highway patrollman asked me to get out of the car, and we were standing togather on the side of the Hwy, it would have been reasonable to do a terry frisk.

I'm not a traffic cop. If I pull someone over it's becaudse I'm using the vehicle code as a lawfull means to investigate the possiblity of criminal activity. (much like I suspected the Texan was doing in the first post in this thread.) I ask for consent to search in 90% of my stops.  I have recoveresd tons of stolen properly during consent searches.  For me, any car worth stopping is a car worth searching. Lot's of my partners NEVER ask for consent, and as a result search very few people or cars, and make very few arrests.  When I train new people thre personal policies I beat into their heads is 1) aAways ask for consent. 2) Get it on tape. 3) Any person or car worth stopping is worth searching.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Must be a productive deputy, driving an Avalanch and all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... For me, speeding on cross country drives is a calculated economic risk. I'm willing to risk the monetary fine in order to arrive at my destination several hours earlier. On clear roads, in good weather, with a well maintained car I know I can safely drive above the posted limit.

I do the same.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
3) Any person or car worth stopping is worth searching.

I like you and your posts bro, but i think (although legal) this is wrong.

Things like that makes common folk feel like your the SS if word gets around that cops from your district are search hungry all the time.

Sure, your legal in asking that but is it really worth generations of civilian hate and perhaps not cooperating with you in 3the future?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Must be a productive deputy, driving an Avalanch and all.

It seemed like a strange choice for a patrol car. But as a K9 officer he probubly doesnt transport his own arrests to jail, so he just needs a suitable space for his gear and the dog.  We are using Crown Vics (Police interceptors) and Chevy & Ford SUV's. Everybody hates the SUV's and refer to them in derogatory terms as a "winnebago".  As in "Oh no, I got the winnebago tonight..."
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Things like that makes common folk feel like your the SS if word gets around that cops from your district are search hungry all the time.

Sure, your legal in asking that but is it really worth generations of civilian hate and perhaps not cooperating with you in 3the future?

I certainly see your point of veiw. I would agree with you if I worked a small town, or worked traffic.

However, I work a town with 22,000 full time residents, and 350,000 daily visiters. I'm also working directed enforcents. Which means I'm not stopping the soccor mom who lives in town. I'm stopping the career crooks who live in town, and the transient crooks who are visiting. I'm not doing 20 stops a day and asking for consent in all of them. I'm doing 1 or 2 stops a day. I do several hours of surveilance and work up prior to each stop.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Just ten minutes ago, I was on my way home from football practice and two cruisers were parked on the shoulder of my exit ramp. As I came up to the troopers, one of them waved me to stop. I thought, "Oh crap, they must've had radar back on the highway and nailed me." As I slowed down and rolled my passenger window down to see what they wanted, they waved me on.

Must've been checking for seatbelts, I surmise.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#10]
ARfan, I've told you before, even as a joke, even on your personal vehicle, those "Fuck Da POlice" mudflaps are a very bad idea. I think you should probably lose the 4-color Bob Marley/Haile Selassie decal on the back glass as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I certainly see your point of view. I would agree with you if I worked a small town, or worked traffic.

Something I always try to remember, when inter-acting with cops on the board, is, most of you seem to be in urban areas. Definitely a different game, than small town coastal Oregon, with a fairly right wing population...

However, I work a town with 22,000 full time residents, and 350,000 daily visitors. I'm also working directed enforcents. Which means I'm not stopping the soccor mom who lives in town. I'm stopping the career crooks who live in town, and the transient crooks who are visiting. I'm not doing 20 stops a day and asking for consent in all of them. I'm doing 1 or 2 stops a day. I do several hours of surveilance and work up prior to each stop.

I'd imagine a few ride-alongs with you would be enlightening for some folks...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The only reason anyone would be searched or patted down around here is if the officer legitimately suspected alcohol or drugs.

Mississippi does have excelent officers (second best cops in the US)!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top