Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 4:50:07 PM EDT
I'm watching Discovery Health right now, and they are showing surgeries on facial reconstruction on children.

The stuff they do is unbelieveable. She got a shotgun blast in the jaw, and they are reconstructing it. They have this girls scalp open and pealed apart, are cutting bones here and there, hammering in pins, and moving her whole face around. I don't know how I could ever trust myself to do such a procedure, especially on a small girl, even with years of medical training.

Then there is this baby boy that has a tumor the size of a baseball on his face. They're just about to show surgery on that.

It's just amazing what surgeons can do today, and how they do it. Not to mention all the blood and gore they put up with almost daily. Even more amazing working on small children.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:58:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 5:35:45 PM EDT by cyanide]
The human body does most the work, you just have to point it in the right direction.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:14:03 PM EDT
I saw a lady today in the preop suite next to one of my patients. She weighed 550+lbs and was getting surgery for a wound infection. My 250 pounder look absolutely small compared to this one!

Its interesting, I will someones bowels upto my armpits and an hour later I am having lunch. Its very surreal sometimes. The dog goes nuts when I come home and there is blood on my shoes.

I have to hand it to he pediatric surgeons they really do some wonderful things for these kids.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:34:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:

Its interesting, I will someones bowels upto my armpits and an hour later I am having lunch. Its very surreal sometimes. The dog goes nuts when I come home and there is blood on my shoes.

My hat would be odf to you sir; would I be wearing one at present for you are truly a special kind of man. To be able and willing to heal a human in pain and suffering is truly a noble endevour! The suffering that you see on a daily basis would stagger a lesser man no doubt.

Thank you.
Top Top