Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2003 12:45:14 PM EDT
1) Take a pill, if invented, that reduced your need for sleep to a mere 2 hrs/day but left you feeling completely refreshed afterward?

The only downside is that it reduces your overall lifespan by about 5 yrs.  

or,

2) Along the same lines and a little more wacky, take a pill that would increase your strength/vigor but reduce your overall lifespan in proportion to the increase in strength/vigor.  In other words, say that your overall lifespan was reduced by 10 yrs. but that last ten years of life's energy was available to use during your remaining life.  Sort of like a light burning at 120% all of the time but it doesn't last as long.  

Well?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
is this an either or or neither?

I would probably pick a) if i had too,

but i Like sleeping.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
is this an either or or neither?

Huh?  

Would you do either one?  Or both?  I don't care.  I'm just curious if people would trade some time off the end of their lives for better living NOW.  The last 5-10 years are ususally physically shitty anyway, so I wonder how many would just like to use the time now to work/play more.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Concerning the sleep pill, yes, because the time I'd gain would be far more than the 5 years I'd lose.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Concerning the sleep pill, yes, because the time I'd gain would be far more than the 5 years I'd lose.

Very mathematical.  Make it ten then.  Would you trade a little good time at the end for LOTS of great time now?  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very mathematical.  Make it ten then.  Would you trade a little good time at the end for LOTS of great time now?  

Zaphod is reading my mind - it would take 20 yrs of sleeping 2 hrs/day to have been awake the equivalent of 5 more years (assuming you normally sleep 8 hrs/night).  40 yrs to make up 10 yrs.
But you gotta consider things like if you live 10 yrs less, that's less time to see your grandkids grow up & 10 more yrs for your wife to be a widow, etc.  Plus, during those extra 6 hrs, most everybody else will be asleep (unless they're taking the pill, too).
I say, "no".
CR
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Only if I didn't have to work, was extremely rich, and/or REALLY enjoyed my job.

And all my friends had family were on the pills too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Depending what kind of job.  With my job--No.
 So instead of 7 hrs sleep/day, for example, now I need only 2 hrs/day.  What the hell am I going to do with extra 5 hrs/night while everyone is sleeping?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope. I like to sleep. It's one of my hobbies.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take some!!
AB
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
i'd take the 2 hours of sleep pill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top