Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 6:41:52 PM EDT

Man kills intruder holding shears to his wife's neck
A man in north St. Louis County was home watching "Death Wish," a movie about a vigilante who hunts down criminals, when he saw his wife held hostage by a robber holding shears at her neck.

Allowed to get his wallet, the homeowner retrieved his pistol instead and shot the intruder to death, county police said Wednesday after sorting out details of the previous evening's incident.

It happened about 8 p.m. Tuesday in the 11500 block of Lares Drive, a usually quiet neighborhood just east of New Halls Ferry Road and north of Interstate 270.

The residents asked police not to reveal their names. The man and family members declined interview requests.

Police gave this account:

An intruder, 26, broke into the home through a basement window and tore down a curtain to tie over his face as a mask. The woman encountered him in the basement and he forced her up the stairs to confront her husband.

Police said the husband, 73, was watching the movie on TV when the stranger approached, demanding money and holding 4-inch shears to the throat of the woman, also 73.

The homeowner told the intruder he had to get his wallet from the bedroom, but he got a handgun instead. When he emerged, she pulled away and he opened fire.

The robber grabbed the wife again and pulled her through the front door with him, but then let her go and ran. He collapsed across the street, where he was pronounced dead.

The woman was treated for minor injuries at a hospital and released.

The dead robber was identified through fingerprints, but his name was withheld pending notification of relatives.

Privately, police officers praised the outcome, saying that burglars should take a lesson from it. {Damn straight!!!}

County detectives said they believed the dead burglar might be responsible for other home invasions and burglaries.

Earl Garvin, a neighbor, said he had known the homeowner for 30 years. "He's such a nice man. He's a very fine guy."

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Good. Nice shooting by the way.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll drink to that. Single malt neat please. =)
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
YES!

Send this one to Kim Du Toit, who keeps a chronicle of righteous shootings of criminals on his blog, www.kimdutoit.com
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
that's awsome

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]

It's good to hear a positive outcome to a bad situation!!

Glad he and his wife are safe!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome!  Especially for a 73 year old man.  Robber got what he had coming too.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Good shooting, just imagine if he didn't have a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#10]
great news, a little inspiration of the attitude from charles on death wish, the right frame of mind
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Why to go gramps!

The Geritol is on me tonight!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm. I notice a lack of sympathy for the young man who was slain.

Very good.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to work with this liberal hottie. We would discuss politics and gun control. She used to say that guns in the hands of regular people were a danger.

So, I took the self defense accounts out of the front of the American Rifleman for about six months and gave them to her to read.

She read them and we discussed it the next day she said that the problem with them was they were "too violent; people got shot".

She lives in San Francisco now. Where she belongs. AND No I don't have pics.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I used to work with this liberal hottie. We would discuss politics and gun control. She used to say that guns in the hands of regular people were a danger.

So, I took the self defense accounts out of the front of the American Rifleman for about six months and gave them to her to read.

She read them and we discussed it the next day she said that the problem with them was they were "too violent; people got shot".

If the Carr brothers should ever escape from prison, I hope they head straight for that stupid bitch and skull-fuck her to death.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ever ask her if being beaten, robbed or raped wasn't too violent?

I wonder how many former liberal rape victims now pack 24/7.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top