Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2003 11:22:39 AM EDT
Well, I see that all the icons and images are missing.  Yesterday I couldn't connect to the site about half the time.  My experience is that ar15.com is the most unreliable firearms board out there, in terms of being up and running with all features available.  Why?

Years ago I lived in Boulder, Colorado, and we had frequent power outages.  It got so bad I called the power company and bitched, and asked what the problem was.  "Squirrels," they replied.  I asked, "Squirrels?"  "Yes, they short out the lines causing the transformers to blow."

So, are there a lot of squirrels in New York?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Then shut up and go away.

waah.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Somebody is sticking steak fingers in the server, causing it to choke.  Its doing a bunghole.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
You are powerless against me!

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, I see that all the icons and images are missing.  Yesterday I couldn't connect to the site about half the time.  My experience is that ar15.com is the most unreliable firearms board out there, in terms of being up and running with all features available.  Why?

Years ago I lived in Boulder, Colorado, and we had frequent power outages.  It got so bad I called the power company and bitched, and asked what the problem was.  "Squirrels," they replied.  I asked, "Squirrels?"  "Yes, they short out the lines causing the transformers to blow."

[hint]Maybe because not enough people have ponied up the paltry $20.00 to keep it going and becoming a Team Member?[/hint]

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
And a few minutes later the distance shot.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How can you complain when you haven't paid a dime?  Even though I have paid my dues, I don't bitch like you.  Please STFU and go away.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm guessing it has something to do with user load...  get used to it.  Don't complain, cuz no one wants to hear it.  And I haevn't had a probelm connecting in the past week...so i do'nt know what your problem was.  Cough up some money and show your support if you want to help.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm guessing it has something to do with user load...  get used to it.  Don't complain, cuz no one wants to hear it.  And I haevn't had a probelm connecting in the past week...so i do'nt know what your problem was.  Cough up some money and show your support if you want to help.

I can see you are one of those debilitated by the lack of spell check! :D
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
sorry but i have to agree with 1911shootist. this has not been a stellar year for site performance. The photo server has been down almost as much as it has been up. Multiple power outages from storms, mutliple problems with isp's and network issues.

I appreciate the effort going into the site but reliability is a problem.

mike
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the problem is there are consistantly more than 1000 guests now, more than the normally have been before.
They tried limiting those before,  but then people bitched about that too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
God bless ARF.com and i'll be donating my $20 to the cause very soon.  And until I do, I have no right to bitch.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#14]
it will get better
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
God bless ARF.com and i'll be donating my $20 to the cause very soon.  And until I do, I have no right to bitch.

You ever been to ARF.com? www.arf.com/
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ever been to ARF.com? www.arf.com/

As I was saying, I fully support Eastbridge Partners and they will be happy to know my donation of $20 is on it's way!  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think the problem is there are consistantly more than 1000 guests now, more than the normally have been before.
They tried limiting those before,  but then people bitched about that too.

That may not be a problem. Browsers do not typically maintain connections to web servers. The only time a connection is needed is when a page, image, or other media is downloaded. The fact there are 10,000 guests doesn't mean anything unless they are all very active.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I came on as a NON-PAYING "member" and stayed for months before somebody else was gracious enough to sponsor a PAID-MEMBERSHIP for me.

Only recently did I pay to have my membership upgraded to the gold level.

This site is great.

If you don't like it carry your non paying behind somewhere else.

Put up or shut up, so to speak.

Was that clear enough for ya?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Too many people using it.

Sign off so it runs smoother for me
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

[hint]Maybe because not enough people have ponied up the paltry $20.00 to keep it going and becoming a Team Member?[/hint]

As a matter of fact, I gave $60 last year under a different username, then got in a pissing contest with a mod over a picture of Anna Kournakova.  I told them to shove it, then discovered I was suffering ar15.com withdrawal symptoms, so I reregistered under this name.

I also sent $20 this year, but never received the upgrade.  After sending GB a few emails and not getting any response, I wrote it off.

So, I've done my part.  Now, why does this site run like fossilized shit through a constipated goose?  It's a question, based on an observation, not a complaint.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How can you complain when you haven't paid a dime?  Even though I have paid my dues, I don't bitch like you.  Please STFU and go away.

Ummm, no, you are bitching like me.  And I have paid my dues, see my previous post.

Sorry to point it out, but I'm afraid you DKWTFYTA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I just went to the photo server and the pics are all there and the server seems to function. Why cant it up load pics?
edited to say: I just posted this and my avatar appeared. WTF?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I keep saying that the marijuana sites always seems to operate much better then this site does. The mj sites offer unlimited photo hosting too!!!  They showed their new dual Zenon processors and 4 GIG memory server.
I don't understand the concept of paying before you receive the benefit.... pay first - then we will fix the stuff that is wrong?????
How about- you fix your system , and then once I have some faith in your ability to provide a service on a consistant basis, I will part with some cash.
I'm not trying to be a dickhead- I'm just being honest. If you want to run the site like a business, and not a personal playground, you should treat your customers like clients, not buddies.
I would never ask users to pay before I fixed my site-- just my opinion.
I'm what they call a demanding consumer.

Should I prepay my cable ISP a years service so they can upgrade their eqipment????  Hell no.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It isn't like that, OHC. It's more like members give donations to keep the site running, and in return they give something back to the paying members.

Ask those "in the know" if you don't believe me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Then shut up and go away.

waah.

Nice diplomatic approach. He has a legitimate bitch. I don't like it either.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I guess part of my point was:
Is it a 'freindly' / buddy site??
or is it a professionally run operation??

If I pay to be a meber, I dodn't expect to catch flak from mods over comments or pics or wtfe.

Pay and be quiet??? Not for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't pay then.

If you don't think the people on the sites are buddies - you haven't been to Bulletfest or Gunstock.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I guess part of my point was:
Is it a 'freindly' / buddy site??
or is it a professionally run operation??
If I pay to be a meber, I dodn't expect to catch flak from mods over comments or pics or wtfe.
Pay and be quiet??? Not for me.

You've been here for three years with over a thousand posts and you don't know  what kind of site this is?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
........I don't understand the concept of paying before you receive the benefit.... pay first - then we will fix the stuff that is wrong?????
How about- you fix your system , and then once I have some faith in your ability to provide a service on a consistant basis, I will part with some cash.
I'm not trying to be a dickhead- I'm just being honest. If you want to run the site like a business, and not a personal playground, you should treat your customers like clients, not buddies.
I would never ask users to pay before I fixed my site-- just my opinion.
I'm what they call a demanding consumer.

Should I prepay my cable ISP a years service so they can upgrade their eqipment????  Hell no.

This is a TOTALLY valid point. Why people get so bunched up over a comment like this amazes me.

He's not slamming the Avila's, he's simply making a valid point. I agree with him 100%.

AR15.com, by the owner/operator's own design, allow people to A) be a paying member with enhanced features or B) Be a non-paying member, with reduced features. To complain that some people choose to only avail themselves to the later seems rediculous. The Avila's have allowed, graciously I might add, that non paying members are welcomed here. Is there a rule that says you aren't allowed to comment on site performance, or lack of if you don't pay a membership fee? No, there isn't. Don't be so thin skinned people...and don't be so insistant on telling other people what they can and can not say, especially if it's something that is obviously true to everyone involved.

P.S.- Save your whining about me being here since day one as a non-paying member. A) I don't give a shit your perspective on that. B) It's an option of the site, so take it up with the Avila's and C) The features I am allowed to use have been paid for with well over 4 years of invaluable contributions of mine that have made this site a MUCH better place to be. Now that I think about it, doesn't someone owe me a check?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Lots of people complaining about the site without contributing to it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Now that I think about it, doesn't someone owe me a check?

In a word, no.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yer not kidding!!

I wouldn't mind knowing just out of curiosity. Is it hardware? Geography? Fiber optics verses phone line? Does a site this complex require a technician to keep it running??

Just curious..
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I would much rather have it in a "crippled" state than not at all.
And just think, with your generous donation of $20, you can keep a little icon fed for a whole year.
Or just shoot the squirrels.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Let me rephrase it again.
I like to support the site my using advertisers/sponers on the site. I can't do that when the site is unusable. I try to log on and use a link from AR15, but the pages won't load. I give up after 10-15 minutes.

I don't understand hosting a site and then not doing a professional job of it.
Sorry - just my opinion. We have paid members, paid advertising, 15 different system admins as members, no picture hosting and the web site still seems to be very unstable.
again, just my $.02

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Not a paying member but the reliability issues are a problem for all.  To say someone has no right to bitch until they pony up $20 is incredulous.  I even remember one of the staff stating that this attitude is uncalled for and not representative of the owners wishes on these issues.  Maybe I'm wrong.

I like it here but I'm not gonna toss in $$ just so I can have a forum granted "right to bitch" about a problem that affects everyone, paying and nonpaying.  If the site was closed to paying members only then I might understand logic like that but then nonpaying members would not be able to enter and see the problems to bitch about in the first place.  

I was contemplating a membership but then a few months back this very same issue came up and I read all the ignorant and snobby "until you pay too bad" type stuff and I resigned myself to remain as I am.  Besides HTF would paying to be a member stop wind storms, blizzards, ice storms, DOS attacks, which IIRC are/were the major problems this past year?  The server upgrades were all handled quickly and efficiently.  You guys should think of our position in the grand scene.  Attitudes like this are not helping to convert new shooters.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#37]
And still no answer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

ANd some pay and become moderators and still BITCH about the site.

Fact is this...the site has always been slow and probably always will.

I aint no computer genuis so I don't exactly know the reasons why.  But since I like coming here I know what to expect from it.  

I can always go to Full-auto.com where it loads much faster, but I dont like it there.  So I choose to stay here and except things for the way they are.

No amount of bitching will change it anyways regardless of how right you may think you are.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not sure some of you have the right idea about getting the membership--those who wish to support the site--and part of that means keep it a non-paying site--DONATE their 20 or 60 or 100 bucks and in return they get a couple extra privileges.  They DONATE the money, helping keep it free, and helping keep it from folding up, because they appreciate the value of the resource they have at hand.  

The idea of the membership was not to "buy services," as some of you seem to think...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yes they are.  Too F***ing many!  I want to kill them.  All of them!  Not most of them, all of them!

Bilster

PS  F***ing tree rats!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Har Har.  Actually, I have NEVER used spell check, and nearly all of my posts are close to perfect as far as spelling goes.  I guess I could give a rusty fuck about whether or not i mispelled a couple words...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yeah , You got a problem with that?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#43]
If I thought that "upping" for the platinum membership would actually make any difference I would in a heartbeat. Sadly I don't think that is the case.

If someone would at least say, "hey guys, we need help in "X" area and need some more "XX" to help out" I'm guessing the response would be very positive. my .02 sense.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Good point! The site should be closed to non-paying members! The paying members deserve privacy while participating in their circle jerk.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Har Har.  Actually, I have NEVER used spell check, and nearly all of my posts are close to perfect as far as spelling goes.  I guess I could give a rusty fuck about whether or not i mispelled a couple words...

Calm down, just joking with you!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#47]
This site reminds me of a children's poem:
(paraphrase)
"..and when it was good, it was very very good,
and when it was bad, it was awful..."

I love this site, but I think Goatboy is trying his best to keep costs down on this monster, and it leads to some inevitable weak points, like weather in upstate NY.

Is the weather his fault? Hell, no.
Would it cost more to run it through something weather-proof? Hell, yeah.
This is a HUGE site. Lotta money in bandwidth.

I am happy with what I get, and the eccentricities of the place only add to the exclusivity.

All you that freak out when it is down....get a fricken life!
Go outside.
Walk the dog.
Clean your house.

Enjoy what is here, and expect it to be a bit on the odd side.
It is all part of the charm.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
(paraphrase)

I love this site, but I think Goatboy is trying his best to keep costs down on this monster, and it leads to some inevitable weak points, like weather in upstate NY.

I am happy with what I get, and the eccentricities of the place only add to the exclusivity.

Go outside.
Walk the dog.
Clean your house.

*****nothing to add*****
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
(paraphrase)

Go outside.
Walk the dog.
Clean your house.

Couple of points...

Your paraphrase reminds me of a Bill Cosby comment: "...it's like sex:  when it's good, it's great; and when it's bad, it's great."

As for GB and this site, there is no reason it could not be done correctly, with a reliable host and timely administration.  There is a great deal of potential for financial support from the membership here (and before the holier than thou among us start giving me a hard time, see my sig line; I am also attempting to purchase a dealer membership, but no one will respond to my inquiries).  A simple and effective solution would be to do away with unpaid memberships while still allowing guests.  I think most members would convert to paid.  Guest access could be crippled or limited to conserve bandwidth.

The other big problem is the administrative bottlenecks.  Surely GB could enlist some help and delegate some of the tasks he has taken on.  There are a lot of members here (myself included) who have no life and plenty of time on their hands.

I'm not complaining, I'm telling it like it is.  I like this place as well as the rest of you and wish to see it succeed.  Just my 2 (DevaluedAgainstTheYen) cents.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(paraphrase)

Go outside.
Walk the dog.
Clean your house.

Couple of points...

Your paraphrase reminds me of a Bill Cosby comment: "...it's like sex:  when it's good, it's great; and when it's bad, it's great."

As for GB and this site, there is no reason it could not be done correctly, with a reliable host and timely administration.  There is a great deal of potential for financial support from the membership here (and before the holier than thou among us start giving me a hard time, see my sig line; I am also attempting to purchase a dealer membership, but no one will respond to my inquiries).  A simple and effective solution would be to do away with unpaid memberships while still allowing guests.  I think most members would convert to paid.  Guest access could be crippled or limited to conserve bandwidth.

The other big problem is the administrative bottlenecks.  Surely GB could enlist some help and delegate some of the tasks he has taken on.  There are a lot of members here (myself included) who have no life and plenty of time on their hands.

I'm not complaining, I'm telling it like it is.  I like this place as well as the rest of you and wish to see it succeed.  Just my 2 (DevaluedAgainstTheYen) cents.

If you can not read this, and understand how to join, I sure as hell do not want you helping  on running the site.
www.ar15.com/content/index.html?sec=membership
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top