Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 4:10:14 AM EDT
OK.  I need to buy an SUV.  What I am looking for are any websights that would discuss the various advantages and stuff.

For the recort, what I want is:

Reliable
Safe
Midsize
Mostly around town
GOOD AC
Decent offroad (not radical though)
comfortable for American size people
decent mileage (like minimum of 17-21 MPG)
prefer American if I can

Thanks all

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You just described my Jeep Liberty!  

www.jeepsunlimited.com
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
cavvet

The Liberty is in the running.  My only concern is reliability.  Having owned a Jeep before, I don't consider them top of the heap there.  Then again, the Liberty is a new vehicle and may have a better record.  As of now, it is a co-leader in the race.  

Thanks for the Forum link.  

Jim
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a section over there, you can hear what breaks for who. Everyone has a story, no vehicle is immune. Mine has had one problem. One of my horns went out. 1 out of the 2. Thats it.

Remember; If it bleeds or burns fossil fuel, its gonna give you problems.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh hell just but a Ford Excursion w/ the new 6.0 liter diesel engine may not be mid-size, but do u ever get behind those people that like to go slow in the fast lane, well with the Excursion which is bigger than my first appartment they tend to get out of the way pretty fast. If you have any kids they will love the 10" flat screen t.v
Even the smaller Expediton looks really nice seems kinna expensive for what you get imo
Hope this might help
fordexcursions.com
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Try this site.
www.epinions.com/auto?tab=1

Then go here.
www.edmunds.com/

Good places to start for reviews and ratings.
FYI, the 4Runner will have the highest ratings
as far as reliability. The Isuzu Trooper and Pathfinder
come in second.
I went through all this in August trying to figure out
what I wanted to buy.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The goal of this page is to expose the ridiculous SUV trend to help stop it, and have some laughs while we're at it!   This page is NOT aimed at owners of 4x4s who ACTUALLY take them off-roading and use them for what they are designed for. The page IS aimed at pretender SUVs and the 90% of SUV owners who never drive them off-road. Millons of lemmings buy SUVs for no reason other than to fit a trendy image and "look tough". We are not trying to tell you what to buy, that's your freedom and your decision. The best policy is to buy what you like, but only after considering all of your options and the consequences before doing so.

poseur.4x4.org
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the leads guys.  I just returned from test driving the Liberty.  I was pleasantly surprised.   Not shocked, but it was not Jeep like clunky on the road.  I did not offroad test it but "assume" it to be able to get me where I need to go.

So far not other real contenders are emerging.  The other ones I like are all just too expensive and I would like to spend less  than $30K.  Otherwise, hello Porsche Cayenne or Lexus.  

More research but the Liberty is way ahead now.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
[tinfoil on]

Hollyweird tells me homos are ok, Lieberal media tells me imports are better than American....

the 4Runner will have the highest ratings
as far as reliability. The Isuzu Trooper and Pathfindercome in second.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OK.  I need to buy an SUV.  What I am looking for are any websights that would discuss the various advantages and stuff.

For the recort, what I want is:

Reliable
Safe
Midsize
Mostly around town
GOOD AC
Decent offroad (not radical though)
comfortable for American size people
decent mileage (like minimum of 17-21 MPG)
prefer American if I can

Thanks all

poseur.4x4.org/

Have fun ;)
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#10]

the 4Runner will have the highest ratings
as far as reliability. The Isuzu Trooper and Pathfindercome in second.

And trhe Isusu is made by who???

That's right, General Motors...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Dave,

I think the poseur link is for those who don't need offroad and buy an SUV anyway.

The whole reason I am changing vehicles is because I NEED offroad.

Or maybe you didn't see the link above already leading there.  Whatever.

Guys, I want to point out that previously I tested the 4Runner.  Drives great.  Per the magazines and reviews it is exactly what I need.   But I could not find a position for that seat I liked.  If I raised the seat high enough to fit right the roof felt close.  Otherwise, I felt like I was semi-reclined insteat of upright (which I prefer).  The Jeep passed this test well.  Much better seating position for me.

Still gonna think on it a few more days.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Dave,

I think the poseur link is for those who don't need offroad and buy an SUV anyway.

The whole reason I am changing vehicles is because I NEED offroad.

Or maybe you didn't see the link above already leading there.  Whatever.

Nope, I just find SUVs to be 'inelegant machinery' (kind of like comparing a bulk freighter to a USN destroyer), and tend to make fun of them quite regularly... Of course, once you get off road, the definition of 'inelegant machinery' changes...

As for the above post, when I wrote my post, that one wasn't there... It just took a while to cycle through due to my connection...

Oh well, good luck...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Dave,

OK, agreed.  Any dual purpose object makes tradeoffs.  SUVs are top heavy and typically clunky compared to cars of the same cost level.  I prefer my Lexus on the road over ANY SUV made.  If I could push a button and have it do a transformers act into a Jeep I would keep it.

Alas, if I wasnt to shoot my machinguns in private, I will need some means of getting away from civilization.  I might still see if I can track down a rental company with 4WDs and keep the Lexus.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top