Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 4:10:19 PM EDT
Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP and Lexmark Z605 printer...

For some damn reason, my printer won't turn on with the computer.
I have a Epson 1660 scanner that works fine, and comes on every time the computer turns on. Just has me curious why the printer needs to be turned on manually every time...

Of course the box and instructions are long gone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Similar situation.

I've got a Canon scanner and a Canon printer attached to a system I assembled myself. All are connected via USB. The scanner powers up with the computer. The printer has to be manually switched on and off. The scanner draws power over the USB cable whereas the printer requires a seperate AC cord.

I just figure the printer requires more power than the USB connection can provide.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why won't my computer turn the printer on ?

[suppressing comment about roses and footrubs]

My lexmark (X73) won't be turned on by the computer unless it is in "Power Save" mode.  If it's off, forget it.  It enters Power Save after some period of inactivity.  Do you shut the printer all the way down?  Does your printer have any lights to indicate it is in power save mode?  Mine has a text LCD display that makes it easy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
try some soft music, a bottle of chiante<sp>, and dim the lights.

Or maybe it's gay.

mike
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably because your computer is too friggin' busy trying to deciper that crap software Bill Gates installed on it.

If you were desperately trying to solve a 5th-level differential equation on an abacus while tightrope walking across the Grand Canyon in high winds, do you really think you'd be worried about turning on your wife?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it doesnt have an auto-turn on feature!!!

Zaphod, your analysis is flawed. Windows would try to do it all at once and then freeze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top