Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 3:39:31 PM EDT
GOPFighter  (831 posts)       Wed Nov-19-03 05:58 PM
Response to Original message

2. Funny you should ask...

Last night I came across a page in our local newspaper devoted to news of local residents in the military. They had pictures of 18 residents in uniform. All were Black! It really hit home just how screwed up this war is. The wealthy (mostly white) sit back and reap the benefits of the war being fought mainly by minorities and others in the lower income brackets.

Insane!

If you know what

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
GOPFighter  (831 posts)       Wed Nov-19-03 05:58 PM
Response to Original message

All were Black! It really hit home just how screwed up this war is. The wealthy (mostly white) sit back and reap the benefits of the war being fought mainly by minorities and others in the lower income brackets.

Insane!

If you know what

What shit. People join the military from all walks of life. Plus that guy doesn't know that those blacks are poor. They just assumed it, which shows a racist bent. Personally, I don't see a black person's pic in the paper and automatically think they are poor.

I have lots of friends in the military or in traning. One's the son of a coal miner, one's the son of a veternarian, the son and daughter (son will be a 2Lt in June, daughter is a Navy enlisted in radio stuff), and if it wasn't for those cocksucking pencil pushing REMF feather merchants at DODMERB I'd be in and my parent's both have postgraduate degrees. Every person in that list has the best education that an unholy amount of money from Alabama can provide. All officers are in college, all the enlisted could have gone to almost any school in the nation but decided on their own to go into the military because they thought it was the right thing to do.

Just because you are in the military doesn't mean you were poor.
And just because you're black doesn't mean your poor either.

That person apparently failed to realize either statement.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If there were no blacks, the induhvidual would say that it is proof that the military is inherently racist and they keep their blacks under a rock.
Ya can't win against an enemy who doesn't have an actual opinion that isn't fluid.
You let them marginalize themselves.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#3]
When Charles Rangel floated this BS about the white man's war being fought with black men's blood, the Penatgon produced the numbers. They show that while blacks are statistically overrepresented in the military as a whole, they are rather significantly underrepresented in actual combat MOSs. IOW, It is more likely that a random military man will be black than that a random citizen will be black; it is less likely that a random military man dodging bullets will be black, than that a random citizen will be black.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
All black huh?
Here'a a pic of some of the Marines in 15th MEU disembarking from the USS Tarawa this past July at Camp Pendleton upon their return from Iraq.

I don't think everyone in the pictures is black.

There was every skin color and racial group imaginable getting off that boat and all the families and friends there to greet them were damn proud of each of them.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw more dumb "thinking" on one of their threads. The question was "Why did the US intervene to stop genocide in the Balkans but not Rwanda?"

About half of them gave the knee-jerk reply "RACISM!" even though it was the beloved Clinton (America's first black president) who was calling the shots.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top