Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 7:07:23 AM EDT
I just received the following e-mail from my company's "Executive Committee":

To:  <Company> Associates in the United States
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you have no doubt read in the media, members of the U.S. House and Senate Conference Committee agreed to a plan to provide a prescription drug benefit for Medicare beneficiaries.  The Medicare Conference Agreement will offer coverage to one in seven Americans and about 12 million beneficiaries who do not have it, while allowing the industry's search for cures and treatments to go forward.

<Company> supports this Agreement and, if you agree, please communicate with your members of Congress.  A vote is expected this week, so it is necessary to act now.  Though the agreement has bipartisan support, it is important that members of Congress hear your view.  The legislation that may emerge from this effort may not be perfect, but it is important that members of Congress be encouraged to begin to add this important benefit for seniors who need coverage.

By following the link <COMPANY link>, you can send a personalized message to Congress telling them that the time to vote for Medicare reform is now.  We would hope you would urge your members of Congress to vote "yes" for the Medicare Conference Agreement.  

If you have any questions, please email <person 1> at <person 1 e-mail>.

<person 2>
Corporate Vice President
Government Affairs and Policy

To which I have prepared the following draft response:

Re: URGENT-ASK CONGRESS TO PASS MEDICARE DRUG COVERAGE

Dear sir,

Why is <Company> supporting a blatently unconstitutional bill that will expand government spending and mortgage the future of our country and our children?

Also, how is it that you utilize the corporate infrastructure to urge us to political action, but if I put a political cartoon on the wall of my cubicle, I get called on it?

Just curious...

- Zaphod

I really can't afford to lose my job right now, but this just burns my ass. Suggestions? Comments?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
STFU. If you haven't sent it. DON'T.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Update your resume.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't send it.

NsB
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]

To: <Company> Associates in the United States
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you have no doubt read in the media, members of the U.S. House and Senate Conference Committee agreed to a plan to provide a prescription drug benefit for Medicare beneficiaries. The Medicare Conference Agreement will offer coverage to one in seven Americans and about 12 million beneficiaries who do not have it, while allowing the industry's search for cures and treatments to go forward.

<Company> supports this Agreement and, if you agree, please communicate with your members of Congress. A vote is expected this week, so it is necessary to act now. Though the agreement has bipartisan support, it is important that members of Congress hear your view. The legislation that may emerge from this effort may not be perfect, but it is important that members of Congress be encouraged to begin to add this important benefit for seniors who need coverage.

By following the link <COMPANY link>, you can send a personalized message to Congress telling them that the time to vote for Medicare reform is now. We would hope you would urge your members of Congress to vote "yes" for the Medicare Conference Agreement.

If you have any questions, please email <person 1> at <person 1 e-mail>.

<person 2>
Corporate Vice President
Government Affairs and Policy

Review the red part. Then act...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't call upper management stupid unless you have another job lined up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Go get em Tiger! Don't be scared of their ability to harm you. Stand up for what is right, & what you believe. Just make sure to choose your battles wisely.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't.

Send letters or call your reps and tell THEM what you think.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Every morning when I drive into the plant, and don't see a sign that says, "Don's Refinery", I know that I won't get to do things my way.

Forget about it.  Don't reply.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Totally agree with you on this one.

As with any action you take there may be consequences.  Are you prepared to accept them?

If you have no choice but to stay at a particular job, you are effectively a slave.

I know most jobs are a compromise of some sort but it’s up to you to determine the line between constructive accommodation vs.  selling your soul and taking one up the ass.

Most businesses care about only one thing; Quarterly reports.  Showing a profit each quarter to the stockholders is their ONLY criteria for success.  The well-being of your people, satisfied customers, good products, morals and ethics are just ambiguous concepts of a distant and discredited past.  People are nothing more than “associates” to be used as cogs in the profit machine, used to maximum advantange and discarded without a thought.

The memo is a great of example of why I despise what Corporate America has become and your response is why I haven’t given up totally on this country and its people.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
When I use to get the urge to do stuff like that, I would read the employement section of the newspaper, till the urge left me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Go get em Tiger! Don't be scared of their ability to harm you. Stand up for what is right, & what you believe. Just make sure to choose your battles wisely.

I agree.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
GRRRRRRRRR

Okay, okay. I deleted it.......

Still pissed off to no end, though. The NERVE of these people!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
GRRRRRRRRR

So, leave early and go to the range.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
All my toys and the things that go BOOM are five hours away.

That's okay, I'll just sit here on company time and research/update/reformat my Wish List, BOB List, Truck Upgrades List, etc...

Oh, yeah, I'll chat with you fine folks!

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Do what drjarhead suggested.  Write your reps and tell them what YOU think rather that what the COMPANY wants you to think.

Then go to the range and have some fun!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Forward the message to the board of directors and stock holders. Bet they won't be too thrilled with it either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#17]
It's their company, not yours. Let them do what they want. Take the high road and blast your reps and senators, they're the ones who are responsible for this mess in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
GRRRRRRRRR

Good man! You did the right thing.

It does no good getting pissed and/or ulcers over things you have no control over.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
All my toys and the things that go BOOM are five hours away.

That's okay, I'll just sit here on company time and research/update/reformat my Wish List, BOB List, Truck Upgrades List, etc...

Oh, yeah, I'll chat with you fine folks!

You really need to get out more.  You need to stop making lists & reading the internet & writing your congress-criters & listening to talk radio and get out and DO! There's an IDPA shoot this saturday at Markham.  Come out. I'll bring you everything you need.  Gun, ammo, mags, holster/pouches ears, eyes, signup fee, whatever.  I'll even pay for your gas and forge a note from work saying you have to be at work to get you out of whatever excuse you have for not going.  If you don't do that, come up sometime and hang out & we'll yell at each other about Rush over some beers while playing ps2 and xbox on my bigscreen.  Or we'll go hit some tennis balls at the courts across the street from my house.  Something.  Anything.  But you really need to get out and DO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I got the same sort of thing at work, but for a different law that i disagree with.

I was sooooooo tempted to hit reply all and send a good criticism of the law they were pushing to the "all company" mailing list.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Ask HR if you can send out an email that will allow people to register as "x-party", and see what they say.......

When they say no, ask them about other political emails.

Drop it at that.....

reply to all:

"I am uncomfortable getting emails of this nature at work.

Thank you,

Zaphod"

Further emails will form a future case, if you ever need one.  YMMV....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You really need to get out more.  You need to stop making lists & reading the internet & writing your congress-criters & listening to talk radio and get out and DO!

All in good time, my friend. All in good time. I don't plan on living like this much longer, trust me, and for the very reasons you give me the advice for.

There's an IDPA shoot this saturday at Markham.  Come out. I'll bring you everything you need.  Gun, ammo, mags, holster/pouches ears, eyes, signup fee, whatever.

What time? All I have is my USP40C with two mags, and I don't have a useable holster for it. Needless to say, I won't be loosing my Black Talon at the range, either.

What time is it at? What Glock can you lend me (I've always wanted to try one)? Careful, or I might just take you up on it!

If you don't do that, come up sometime and hang out & we'll yell at each other about Rush over some beers while playing ps2 and xbox on my bigscreen.

What games you got? My X_Box is in storage!

Or we'll go hit some tennis balls at the courts across the street from my house.

YOU play TENNIS?

You see? There's a little gay in all of us!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Note to all: back away from Zaphod, men.

I think that SHIVAN's advice is particularly excellent on this point. It sends the true and correct message to management, yet put's them on the defensive. By the way, I would never send any such communication to my employees. That's what the subliminal audio in the shitter is for.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Steal one of the company pencils on your way out the door today. That'll teach 'em not to fuckin piss you off!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Go ahead and send it .....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You really need to get out more.  You need to stop making lists & reading the internet & writing your congress-criters & listening to talk radio and get out and DO!

All in good time, my friend. All in good time. I don't plan on living like this much longer, trust me, and for the very reasons you give me the advice for.

There's an IDPA shoot this saturday at Markham.  Come out. I'll bring you everything you need.  Gun, ammo, mags, holster/pouches ears, eyes, signup fee, whatever.

What time? All I have is my USP40C with two mags, and I don't have a useable holster for it. Needless to say, I won't be loosing my Black Talon at the range, either.

What time is it at? What Glock can you lend me (I've always wanted to try one)? Careful, or I might just take you up on it!
www.tssa.net  Shoot starts at 9:30, but you should be there by 9 to get registered & do the new shooter orientation (a 5 minute talk on safety).  I can bring you a Glock 19 or a Sig 226 or a Glock 26.  I may or may not be shooting my Kimber.  I have belt holsters & mag pouches for all.

If you don't do that, come up sometime and hang out & we'll yell at each other about Rush over some beers while playing ps2 and xbox on my bigscreen.

What games you got? My X_Box is in storage!
Halo is the only thing I own, but hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the GTA3/Vice City combo and the new Tony Hawk game.

Or we'll go hit some tennis balls at the courts across the street from my house.

YOU play TENNIS?

I would hardly call what I do "playing" tennis.  More like trying desperately to whack the crap out of the little yellow ball, missing horribly, and scaring the hell out of the yuppies with my tattoos & fould mouth.  On second thought, you might not want to be seen with me....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Pick your battles wisely Zap and this doesn't sound like one.  Write you congressman but leave your boss out of it.

Tj
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Pick your battles wisely Zap and this doesn't sound like one.  Write you congressman but leave your boss out of it.

Tj

Are you kidding? He probably agrees with ME!

No, this is the corporate a-holes way up top.

Nah, I'm not going to bother.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Note to all: back away from Zaphod, men.

Nothing to fear from me. My "gayness" extends no farther than LMAO at the flamers of Queer Eye. To quote Brother Eric: "I'm straighter'n Moses!"

Quoted:
I would hardly call what I do "playing" tennis. More like trying desperately to whack the crap out of the little yellow ball, missing horribly, and scaring the hell out of the yuppies with my tattoos & fould mouth. On second thought, you might not want to be seen with me....

Ah! That's more like it.

Of course, if the ball doesn't go the way you want it to, you could just pull out a shotgun and switch over to "Skeet Tennis".

That would be truer to form, no?

Quoted:
Steal one of the company pencils on your way out the door today. That'll teach 'em not to fuckin piss you off!

Oh, yeah! I'm sure that's EXACTLY what they'd learn!

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Good on ya zaph, whatever you write, send a copy to all your repub representatives...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Every morning when I drive into the plant, and don't see a sign that says, "Don's Refinery", I know that I won't get to do things my way....

That is one of the top 10 responses EVER posted on this board.  Enough truth spoken in that one to float a Carrier Battle Group.

Thanks O_P!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top