Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 8:28:15 PM EDT
I am looking for a car that is rather hard to find. Quite a few on autotrader and a couple on ebay.most of them are quite a distance away. anyone buy a car sight unseen and if so what was your experience? also how did you get it home and how much did it cost?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont do it.  Fly out and check the car out yourself.  What are you trying to buy?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I sold 2 cars off ebay, haven't bought one yet. I wouldn't be afraid to, not at all. That's what feedback and asking questions is all about.

Both buyers of my cars asked a lot of good questions, and I offered a no-questions-asked "back out" clause when they picked up the car, in case they were not satisfied or anything like that.

No problem. There is the potential for getting screwed, but the same potential exists on a car lot or from a neighbor. Just gotta be smart and be informed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Find some car-guys on here whose opinions you trust, and who are near the car you're interested in, ask 'em to take a look at it for ya.

Maybe bribe 'em with AR mags or parts or something.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother in law sold his pick up on ebay, the guy rode out on the train and he was really happy about his purchase.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Mercedes 2.3 16 valve in smoke silver to be exact. mid life crisis ya know  how far did the people come to get the cars swingset?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend of a friend (who does have a C rating on his DL) just bought a yellow school bus (new style, flat front) sight unseen of ebay. He and another guy then took a Greyhound to Arkansas to pick it up, and then drove it back here to State College.

Apparently the folks from Philly are driving it back for break.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Mercedes 2.3 16 valve in smoke silver to be exact. mid life crisis ya know how far did the people come to get the cars swingset?

Good taste!!! I just picked up an '88 420 SEL out in Kalistan (my co-workers call it a camel jockey car).

One of the guys I work with does about 99% of his car purchasing and selling on eBay and no real problems. He asks beaucoup questions and (I think) always gets a "right of refusal" type of agreement. He hasn't been burned yet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a '78 GMC Jimmy 4x4 a couple years ago, out of Cali. Went the lazy route and had it shipped to Dallas,Texas on a transport for $500. I was satisfied with the transaction...ask alot of questions, and the comments about a waiver letting you back out if you aren't happy are good ones. Investigate thoroughly, use common sense, and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]
flew out to jerzy to buy my defender that i found on the net. spent two days out there. 1 day really checkin it out. the other doin the paper shuffle & driving it home to MI.

had to fill it up 5 TIME$.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a 1973 Mustang Mach I off Ebay about a month and a half ago (or something like that).  I bought it purely based on the pictures and a brief conversation with the owner - and had it shipped to St. Louis.  The car was in Indiana, so I paid about $300 to have it shipped here - the seller recommended a shipping company.

When I got it, it was in slightly worse case than he had described it to me, but I don't know if he would have told me about these things, had I asked him - so it may as much be my fault for not asking, as it was his for not telling.  

I DO believe it is a VERY risky thing to buy any car sight-unseen, and if I were you, I would check out the seller's feedback on ebay extensively.  have they sold other cars?  What did the buyers of these cars have to say about the seller (and were these buyers who had a lnog ebay history themselves?).  That might tell you a little, but ultimately you're still taking an huge risk.

Personally, I think I may have been misled a LITTLE, but the car overall is still very close to how it was described - so overall I'd describe my ebay buying experience as "good" but not "great"

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
CLEANER, that Defender is SWEET! If you don't mind me asking, what did you give for it?

Someday.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup I bought a 1985 usmc hmmwv, got a great price on it too, had a couple of problems that the owner wasn't up front about, but for the price it was well worth it.

Shipped it upto NY from Louisianna for $1000 Ebay has a shipping company they deal with and also an escro sevice that i used and recommend.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Bought two cars, a Buick Lesabre and a GMC Suburban on Ebay.  Bought them sight unseen and have had great luck with both.  They were both great bargains, especially the Lesabre which was less than 50 pefcent what CarMax would charge.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an uncle who bought his Hummer 1 via e-bay. He flew out to Texas to look at the vehicle and THEN handed the guy the check. Drove it home.

I would not transfer ANY money until such time as I had inspected the vehicle....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
flew out to jerzy to buy my defender that i found on the net. spent two days out there. 1 day really checkin it out. the other doin the paper shuffle & driving it home to MI.

had to fill it up 5 TIME$.

www.hunt101.com/img/061554.jpg

I bought 6 cars off ebay.  I got my D-90, Range Rover, Discovers, BMW, all were is great shape and I got great deals.  Do it!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top