Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 8:15:05 PM EDT
Just bought it...shoots AWESOME!
Took it deer hunting this weekend (found out how heavy it gets humping through the brush)

Anyway...some dew dripped from the trees, and got under the free float barrel.
Is there any reason why I should not remove the stock, so I can clean/oil the bottom of the barrel.
Will I mess up the bedding or anything like that?
(the manual mentions stripping it down to clean the action, but the rifle pictured is a standard "ADL" model)

I would immagine that if snipers use these rifles, crawling through the woods and stuff...they must be fairly rugged, and impervious to a certain amount of evironmental exposure.

Any input greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:18:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2003 8:21:18 PM EDT by lvgunner777]
I had this same concern recently with my tactical precsion rifle.

It is a Savage however, but I don't see how they could be that different.

I finally bit the bullet and pulled the 3 allen head screws holding the stock on, it came right off.

No problems whatsoever, it right back on without a hitch.

Maybe some of of the Remington guys can jump in here though if there is something special about the PSS model I don't know about.

By the way, even though these rifles are used in rough conditions, be assured they are very well maintained as no gun is totally impervious to the elements without care.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:19:12 PM EDT
Should be a floated barrel and you can slide an oil rag between the stock and barrel to wipe it down.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:21:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Valkyrie:
Should be a floated barrel and you can slide an oil rag between the stock and barrel to wipe it down.

I did that, but was not able to get the last few inches close to the reciever.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:25:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lvgunner777:
By the way, even though these rifles are used in rough conditions, be assured they are very well maintained as no gun is totally impervious to the elements without care.

Oh, I know...thats why I want to make sure Im doing everything possible to take care of it (as I do with all of my firearms)
Just want to make sure I dont "screw sumpthin up"
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:44:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:30:07 PM EDT
The HS stock used on the 700P had an Al bedding block so pull it apart as necessary. It's user level maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:32:21 PM EDT
just make sure you properly torque those bolts when you put her back together!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:50:07 PM EDT
Pull it apart, clean it, do what you need to do. Just make sure that when you put it back together, the bolts get torqued to 65 inch pounds.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:47:22 AM EDT
Here's an interesting trick I learned recently for providing some protection to metal surfaces.

WAX PAPER. Most wax paper is waxed with Carnauba wax, the hardest, most water resistant wax there is. Wax paper will fit into that crevice and can be used to coat those last few inches with some protective wax. I would do this several times during the course of a range session so that the heated barrel melts the wax and draws it into the pores of the barrel finish.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:58:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RobarSR60:
Pull it apart, clean it, do what you need to do. Just make sure that when you put it back together, the bolts get torqued to 65 inch pounds.

What he said plus---> Re Zero. You can actually move your POI by messing with the torque of your recoil lug/bedding bolts. So after removing the stock ALWAYS head back to the range to confirm your zero.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:29:18 AM EDT
Thanks for the help guys...I have never played with a precision rifle like this before, and I damned sure didnt want to mess up its nice tight grouping.
Top Top