Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 5:01:19 PM EDT
I lost out on a promotion this week. My agency (name withheld) had a supervisory level vacancy equivalent to a police department precinct command slot open. The brass made the decision to promote the lucky recipient because that person had a previous five minute discussion with my agency head and he decided that person was worthy of promotion. (No joke ...)

This is despite the fact that the person has almost zilch investigative experience and has never gotten their hands dirty.

What makes it worse is that they went through the charade of actually having interviews. I was told I was the best interviewee and was the panel's unanimous selection. Even worse, I was told the panel decided the person who got the job was unfit for command.

I guess the cliche' "It's not what you know, it's who you know !" really is true. Now, I'm forced to help run the unit knowing that the job should've been mine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Dole out your experience and ability in a manner calculated to make a record of just who is the brains. Also, document your assistance to this numbskull with memos/reports detailing what you did. Alternatively, if you have civil service protection, just don't do anything properly done by the new supervisor.

What am I saying. If you're a good man and in law enforcement, you'll do whatever it takes to get the BGs, no matter who gets the credit and no matter what it does to or for your career. Condolences on a tough break.

Oh, BTW: FDLE, right?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Not knocking you, but in order to get ahead you have to know how to play the political game.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Resign now before you are made a scapegoat.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
... What? You don't like sucking cock?
(sorry, I'm pissed at my Company today too)
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That really stinks man. Sorry to hear it. That's almost as bad as Affirmitive Action.
Unfortunately, playing politics is the name of the game.
Hang in there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
FLAL1A = Close, but no.

Glimmerman = One of my peers echoed that thought. The slight reduction in pay just to be a regular worker bee would be a safeguard.

Winston Wolf = You know, that thought did enter some people's minds.

My significant other reminded me I have kids and a mortgage. I also have my reputation to uphold. I'll help my new "boss" any way I can. That person knows they didn't get the job on merit.

I'll outlast them all.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The process for promotion is rarely fair. Hang in there. Eventually things work out for the best. I know that is cliche but it really does seem to be true.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
lets see, last I check life didn't come with a guarantee that everything will be fair. so would you like a little cheese with that whine?  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Friend of mine who was a detective on the force, only a few years from retirement was busted down to patrol along with some of his comrads when the new captain took over. Seems that the captain can do that and promote his friends to detective as well. He couldn't cut his pay, so at least he's getting detective pay as a beat cop. Same captain doesn't believe in taking confiscated weapons and reselling them to purchase new weapons for the department, he insists on crushing them. Took everyones buckshot away and gave them beanbag rounds. They get 100 rounds of practice pistol ammo a month and are asked to conserve that. They did get some AR's for their cruisers though.

I admire cops, they eat shit everyday, work with the scum of society, put up with all the buracracy, get paid half of what they are worth, and somehow find the motivation to keep doing it everyday.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd quote the funny quote from "Unforgiven", but I got yelled at last time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Talk about a real case of switcheroo!

I just got a promotion I didn't really want!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#12]
It probubly has something to do with you attitude.

Seriously. Something I've leared in my 15 years in the Military and LE.  A compentant employee with outstanding social skills will go farther than an excellent employee with average social skills.

Next time you are thinking about taking some training classes. Get with a trainer who can teach you how to properly politic.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Seriously. Something I've leared in my 15 years in the Military and LE.  A compentant employee with outstanding social skills will go farther than an excellent employee with average social skills.

Next time you are thinking about taking some training classes. Get with a trainer who can teach you how to properly politic.  

Lot to be said here.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lot to be said here.

... Sad but true. Much like the people average folks "elect" into public office; a silver tounge   and $200 haircut will impress the status quo over a candidate with "substance".

... Oh well, my moda operandi isn't changing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
"I'll outlast them all."

Sounds like some integrity. Good for you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Being able to do a lower level job is not a requirement of being a supervisor. Being able to smooze and manage people is. If they promoted everyone who could actually do the work then the work would not get done.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
......I have kids and a mortgage. I also have my reputation to uphold. I'll help my new "boss" any way I can. That person knows they didn't get the job on merit.

I'll outlast them all.  

My dad retired form the Navy and went to work for GM. He worked in the security department for 20 years.  After his second triple bypass he retired on a medical. 10 years later he died.  I know now he hated his job. After his military service he worked to provide for his family.  He worked with incompetent boobs and suffered fools to make sure my mom would be provided for.  I never knew he hated his job. I knew he loved being a Corpsman and serving with his Marines.  

What I learned was this:

If you are single; leave and get a new job.  The worst thing you can do to an employer is deny them your experience.  If you have a family; your first duty is to them.  

I do not have a family to support.  My motto is, "let the bridges you burn light your way".
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Being able to do a lower level job is not a requirement of being a supervisor. Being able to smooze and manage people is. If they promoted everyone who could actually do the work then the work would not get done.

... Added to the fact that quite often the "lower level job" guy that can get the job done will be compensated handsomely because his boss relys on him for success. Not a bad place to be sometimes, if ya know what I mean.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Basicly where I am 95%+ of all open promotions are filled with minorities or gays.

I put in 30+ apps never an interview, minorites with less time there and close to getting fired for missing 5+ days in 2 months got the position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top