Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 3:20:10 PM EDT
i had an old 4 gig drive from a crashed computer that still is good, i hooked it up in the puter i have, i can explore it, and the like, but is there a way to make use of it for storage?

do i just format the drive and go from there, or could i activate the windows 98 in the old drive and play for a while in win 98 instead of my current xp, what can i do with this thing now

it is set up as a slave
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
OK...

To use the Win98 drive for storage -
You can right click on My Computer, select Manage, then pick Disk Management. You can delete partitions, reformat, whatever, from here. BE CAREFUL.

To boot up into Win98 -
You can set the jumper back to Master on the Win98 drive and disconnect the XP drive and boot up. It could work. Is this the same hardware when you used the Win98 drive? I suggest disconnecting the XP drive so nothing happens to it. Win98 could/should find all 'new' hardware, but you may need drivers.
BE CAREFUL.

If the drive is ok, just use if for data files, that way if you need to rebuild you will still have your data.  Or you could use it as a door stop.

Hope this helps.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
could i just format it and use it for extra storage space?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Millions of folks have multiple hard disk machines.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I run 3 and have 2 dedicated to storage. One is for games, the other is for game developement. Of course one runs windows and regular programs like ICQ and whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I run 3 and have 2 dedicated to storage. One is for games, the other is for game developement. Of course one runs windows and regular programs like ICQ and whatnot.

I've never heard of "whatnot".  What's it like?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top