Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/17/2003 4:48:40 PM EDT
I think I back into someone A/C unit today...man I could just kick my self in the butt.

I've been selling firewood ($60 per cord cut, dried, split and stacked). I delivered some to this lady today. The sub-division she's in was pretty tight. After telling me it went in back, she went in the house. I tried to pull around forwards, upon getting back there I noticed that I couldn't back up to the porche (neighbors fance, and the step enbankment behind the house made the back yard very, very tight. So I had to move around the get out. I then back into the back yard. After getting the truck up to the porch, I wanted to make sure I didn't rip up the grass too bad. In the process I noticed a dent in the side of the A/C unit (about 3 inches deep in the actually radiator type metal).

As I unloaded the wood I tried to remember if I'd done that or not. I'm ashamed to say that since I wasn't sure if I did or not, I considered not saying anything. To say the least, I decided the right thing to do was to tell her and just be honest that I wasn't sure if I did it or not. She didn't know if it was like that before or not...I told her to ask her husband. I refused the money and said that if I didn't do it, she could send it to me (we work at same company, very large company). If he thinks I did do it, he's to call and I'll do my best to make it right.

Man, I've only sold two other cords, now if I have a big repair bill thats gonna be terrible. I don't suppose anyone has any advice what somehting like that runs to have fixed?

I just hope the husband is honest. Even if I did do it, that he be honest with getting it fixed. I'd liek to barter with wood, but I doubt that will fly.

I know I did the right thing, btu I must say the temptation to nto tell and just leave was very strong. You know, no one physically observed th eincident (I didn't even see it, which is why I don't know for sure that I did it).

I'm just sick thinking about how much its gonna cost to fix...needed to get that off my chest.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:54:06 PM EDT
You forgetting something, Skippy? You have insurance and so do they. You do have insurance, don't you?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:54:21 PM EDT
Holy Cow - you're selling a cord for 60 bucks?

That's a great deal. What kind of wood?

Oh yeah, sorry about your problems...but man, 60 bucks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:06:37 PM EDT
Yes, the auto insurance will cover it if need be. I was hoping that it wouldn't be that much though $500 deductable. I though I was doing good at $60 a cord. That seems to be the going price here in central Indiana.

Sorry to go on about this. It just feels good to vent. I am hoping that someone will tell me that those units don't cost very much to fix...hint, hint.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:10:57 PM EDT
Don't feel so bad. As they say, shit happens.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:11:35 PM EDT
$50-$60 a cord here in turdville. It don't look too good for you on the AC bro. The unit will no doubt cost more than your deductible. Maybe your insurance man will take 8 cords of wood in trade for the difference.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:16:11 PM EDT
Ahh Just steal her a new one.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:18:21 PM EDT
I'm glad I read your post. I finaly met someone that need spell check more than I do!
At least you had the integrity to be honest about the whole thing. I think you did well, & I applaude you sir.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:37:55 PM EDT
Unless the dent goes deep enough to damage something, a dent will not do any harm whatsoever. All the big box is is an air chamber to keep the compressor cool. Just take the cover off and push out the dent. Just as long as the fan is not touching anything.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:40:17 PM EDT
sloth, you were honest about it. if you didn't puncture or crimp something, it'll still work. if the fan isn't hitting, its just sheet metal - a little hammering and it won't be too noticeable! [abused]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:06:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2003 6:07:18 PM EDT by cmjohnson]
Shit happens, but that sounds pretty minor. If it's not leaking and the fan isn't scraping, the damage is cosmetic only.

Today I was moving a five gallon can of lacquer thinner and I got too close to my air conditioner's cooling water pump (water to air cycle heat pump). The five gallon can snapped the PVC supply fitting right off the damned pump. Shut down the gate valve, ripped the leftovers off, went to the store, finally found the right parts, bought them, went home, rebuilt the damaged section, turned the valve back on. No leaks, no problem.

The lesson: Never freak over little shit that can be dealt with.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:25:00 PM EDT
Actually in my hast to type this I made a mistake...its be rick, NOT cord. Also the damage didn't look too bad. I fear though that this fella might want to get as much as he can...I just hope I'm wrong.

I never was good at spelling. I don't have the feature being a non-dues paying member.

Thanks guys. Jim
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:34:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MC_Man:
Unless the dent goes deep enough to damage something, a dent will not do any harm whatsoever. All the big box is is an air chamber to keep the compressor cool. Just take the cover off and push out the dent. Just as long as the fan is not touching anything.

DO NOT PUSH OUT THE DENT!!!!!!

GEEEZ!!! talk about making a bad situation worse!!! What you did is push in the condenser coil. Go back and turn on the AC if it cools, you are fine and leave it alone!!!

Did you hear it hissing after you hit it?? If not either you hit it and didnt puncture the coil... thats good. OR someone else hit it and didnt puncture the coil...even better.

Go back and turn on the AC... it if gets cold inside the house... youre fine.

Mickey Mouse is another AC guy here at ARFCOM... I think he will back me up as well
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:56:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sloth:

I know I did the right thing, btu I must say the temptation to nto tell and just leave was very strong. You know, no one physically observed th eincident (I didn't even see it, which is why I don't know for sure that I did it).

I'm just sick thinking about how much its gonna cost to fix...needed to get that off my chest.

Have NO fear... you did right. Irregardless, of what happens, you WILL come out on top....

Just walk it out..... (and look at your truck, if you did it, there's recent evidence on your truck...)

Ya done good.....
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:04:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DrFrige:

Originally Posted By MC_Man:

DO NOT PUSH OUT THE DENT!!!!!!

GEEEZ!!! talk about making a bad situation worse!!! What you did is push in the condenser coil. Go back and turn on the AC if it cools, you are fine and leave it alone!!!

Did you hear it hissing after you hit it?? If not either you hit it and didnt puncture the coil... thats good. OR someone else hit it and didnt puncture the coil...even better.

Go back and turn on the AC... it if gets cold inside the house... youre fine.

Mickey Mouse is another AC guy here at ARFCOM... I think he will back me up as well

I've worked A/c too, listen to the fridge....
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:16:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
Ahh Just steal her a new one.

We're a pragmatic bunch, aren't we?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:33:37 PM EDT
What the fridge said and you probably wouldn't see any damage to your truck,the condensing unit is usually just setting on a concrete slab and would scoot a little(look to see if it has moved on the slab)!

The condensor coils are surrounded by alum fins,these can look horibly damaged and not be!

But the main thing of importance here is that I would like to toast you for being the honest man that you are!

Glad to know you! Bob
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:35:11 AM EDT
Well I just got the estimates back today...I need some HVAC people to tell me what they think. Its a Lennox unit. The fella offering the estimate said that both the coil and condenser needed to be replaced. HE said with parts and labor (4-5hrs) the bill would come to around $1000. The homeowner and HVAC guy seem to think that the best route would be to replace the whole system ($1100). The HVAC guy approached it like this...for an extra 100 dollars you can get a whole new system where there is no possibility that a new problem was introduced into the system. Sort of like if he fixes it and something else goes wrong, I'm still responsible. I want to make right what I made wrong, btu that doesn't mean lying down and paying whatever they want (I think they assume I'll turn it into insurance). I actually may not, added primum cost over the next 2 years will be around $600. Heven forbid if I have an accident or ticket in that time, it may really just through the roof. I may just have to eat it and pay out of pocket. When I told the HVAC guy this, he semed to a bit taken back (I think they assumed they were getting a new unit out of FB insurance). At any rate, I've called my HVAC guy to see what he thinks and am trying to line up a second estimate. In the meantime I wanted to see what the ARFCOM HVAC army thought (I don't suppose any of y'all are in the Indy area, huh?)
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:33:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sloth: Well I just got the estimates back today...I need some HVAC people to tell me what they think. Its a Lennox unit. The fella offering the estimate said that both the coil and condenser needed to be replaced. HE said with parts and labor (4-5hrs) the bill would come to around $1000. The homeowner and HVAC guy seem to think that the best route would be to replace the whole system ($1100). The HVAC guy approached it like this...for an extra 100 dollars you can get a whole new system where there is no possibility that a new problem was introduced into the system. Sort of like if he fixes it and something else goes wrong, I'm still responsible. I want to make right what I made wrong, btu that doesn't mean lying down and paying whatever they want (I think they assume I'll turn it into insurance). I actually may not, added primum cost over the next 2 years will be around $600. Heven forbid if I have an accident or ticket in that time, it may really just through the roof. I may just have to eat it and pay out of pocket. When I told the HVAC guy this, he semed to a bit taken back (I think they assumed they were getting a new unit out of FB insurance). At any rate, I've called my HVAC guy to see what he thinks and am trying to line up a second estimate. In the meantime I wanted to see what the ARFCOM HVAC army thought (I don't suppose any of y'all are in the Indy area, huh?)
View Quote
Ouch. You did the right thing as far as Karma or the Man upstairs depending on what you believe. Second opinions are a good thing. Repair man could be pushing for a new unit and talking to the owner to do it because "it won't cost him anything anyway". Even though it will.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:41:15 AM EDT
Sloth, As the perpetrator of a few stupid moves myself I will also applaud your honesty. You've gotten some great advice from here (and some not so great). I'll just throw out some random thoughts in no particular order. 1. Did you check your truck for damage? If you can see anything ok, if you can't then you should know who not to deal with in the future. Also if you can't see any marks on your truck how about dickering w/them to split the costs with you? 2. How about making easy access a condition of delivery? Or an added charge for the extra work involved? Oh, and BTW, here in beautiful Orygun with our many environmental regulations (for our protection of course) a cord of mixed fir/pine is $135/cord. For that price it is unceremoniously dumped on the driveway and the old fat guy (me) has to stack it himself. NMSight
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:45:04 AM EDT
Take a tape measurer and see if your bumper even matches the dents height. Also, a police report may be needed for insurance purposes. And see how old the A/C unit is...why buy a new one if the old one is well used? Just some thoughts and I like your honesty too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:43:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sloth: Yes, the auto insurance will cover it if need be. I was hoping that it wouldn't be that much though $500 deductable. I though I was doing good at $60 a cord. That seems to be the going price here in central Indiana. Sorry to go on about this. It just feels good to vent. I am hoping that someone will tell me that those units don't cost very much to fix...hint, hint.
View Quote
I handle claims for a large insurance company we will refer to as 'Fate Starm'. I don't think you have a clear picture as to how your coverage works. If you have property damage liability coverage, and most auto policies do, then your coverage pays for their damage, and no deductible is involved. Deductibles come in to play if there is damage to your truck. If you have collision coverage, you would be subjected to your deductible for your repairs. Another possibility is that you could offer to pay their deductible if they decided to file a claim against their home owner's insurance carrier. The benefit to you is that the incident does not go on your record. Just some things to consider...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:04:35 AM EDT
I'm a Lennox dealer in Rockford, IL. If you want I can get you a price on a new unit...just get me the model number of the condensing unit. DrFridge is right. If the condenser coil (the pipes inside the fins) is not ruptured, the unit is okay. I would say 4 hours to replace the unit is adequate, but there shouldn't be any reasons to do any work indoors. Let me know if you want a price check.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:13:13 AM EDT
Just to clarify...I decided to claim it on the auto insurance. Several good reason to do such. Since it is a farm truck and the firewood is covered under farming activities, I am able to deduct the insurance on my taxes. Small positive, btu any is great. As for the damage to the A/C unit, not a mark on my truck, but the location on the unit would be consistant with the bumper and also, bumper is much stronger than the coil and condenser. So there is little doubt in my mind that I did do it. Johnny is right (got off phone with my insurance agent). Since it is property damage there is no deductable. I will see an increase in the premium, but again, deductable on taxes as well as spread out over time. I got a second opinion from my HVAC guy. Describe damages to him and what their HVAC guy told me. In essesnce I'm not getting hosed. HE said (my guy) that replacement needs are reasonable and that prices were on par with what he'd have to charge. To be honest, I almost feel better now that its being handled by insurance (this has been eating me up for the past week). Again, thank you for the replys. It was nice to be reafirmed that I did the right thing. I didn't want that nor any sort of pat on the back. It just suprised me about myself that I even considered leaving without telling them. Even with trying to live life the right way, that seed is always there. It is tough when you can get away with something and there is going to be a lot of money on the line. It really made me think a lot about myself and not to be judgemental of others.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:20:39 AM EDT
Sounds like the A/C company that took a look is a bunch of thieves. They'll tell you that ANY unit that's more than five years old needs to be replaced. And that is often pure, unadulterated BULLSHIT intended to make them a pile of money. Dents don't matter if there's no leak and the customer continues to get cool air as it's always done. I spent two years in college learning air conditioning, heating, and ventilation. And I've seen many units that were taken out of service in perfect functional condition but by the calendar they were up to 20 years old. If the fins haven't corroded off the condenser or evaporator and the compressor is healthy and there are no leaks, there's NO reason to exchange the system unless the casing is rusting out. CJ
Top Top