Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 3:25:46 PM EDT
www.cleveland.com/newsflash/news/index.ssf?/newsflash/get_story.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o0228_BC_OH--OverweightTenant&&news&newsflash-ohio

Housing agency works to accommodate 772-pound tenant

The Associated Press
11/17/03 1:04 AM

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The city's public housing agency is trying to resolve a lengthy dispute by accommodating the needs of a 772-pound tenant immobilized by her weight.

Carmen Bowen, 44, has been involved in a two-year dispute with the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority over how much work must be done to help her move around her apartment.

The agency is about to provide her with a handicapped-accessible apartment with extra space to allow an oversized wheelchair to turn. Bowen lives with her 19-year-old son and a caregiver.

Still, Bowen filed a discrimination complaint, saying the agency took too long. Housing officials responded that the agency went well beyond what federal disability law requires at a cost of about $15,000.

"Her special condition requires special equipment," acting Executive Director George Phillips said last week.

The modifications include removing doors and walls, installing an automatic door operator and panic device, demolishing the existing bathroom and installing a special shower, and putting in a sidewalk to the front door. Bowen could move in next month.

In her current apartment, Bowen can't move from a medical bed in the middle of her living room.

In August, 22 firefighters and emergency medical technicians worked for 2½ hours to move Bowen from her apartment so she could have dental work. Emergency crews had to help her back when she returned. The authority widened the door in October.

Bowen does not yet have the wheelchair. The Medicaid government insurance program has not yet said whether it will pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
So, we have to buy the pork chops and then pay to make the doors bigger so the fatass can get in the house.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd provide her a 1911 with 2 rounds (just in case she misses the first one)

NsB

PS: I hope someone does the same for me if I ever find myself on that position
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's that little banner that says "this thread is worthless without pics"?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a couple on housing assistance that are pushing 500-550.  Trust me you don't want pictures.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So, we have to buy the pork chops and then pay to make the doors bigger so the fatass can get in the house.  

so true...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
772 POUNDS???? Emergency crews worked for 2 1/2 hours so she could have dental work. she doesnt need to eat anymore she could live for eternity off the fat she has damn.

someone, please, put her out of her misery
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Jesus shit....

When is the government going to give me a check because I'm not smart enough to be chemical engineer...

This is fucking sick.  Thyroid prblem or not, how in the fuck is reaching that wieght anyone elses problem...

It's time for a revolution...civil war....

-HS
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Where's that little banner that says "this thread is worthless without pics"?

Okay, but you asked for it!!

and

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Jesus shit....

When is the government going to give me a check because I'm not smart enough to be chemical engineer...

This is fucking sick.  Thyroid prblem or not, how in the fuck is reaching that wieght anyone elses problem...

It's time for a revolution...civil war....

-HS

Exactly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

NsB

PS: I hope someone does the same for me if I ever find myself on that position

Sheeeeit!!!

Bust a cap in that BMF today, she won't feel it until December 18.  A month later the bitch will just be sayin' ouch!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

NsB

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Huh!!  Funny, I thought the Communists LOST the war.....

Hopfully, the "War on Terror", will have a better outcome for Americans...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
They should spare the apartment and offer to move her into a walk-in refrigerator with a toilet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]

772 lbs!!! How could you miss??? Talk about the broad side of a barn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top