Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 12:48:05 PM EDT
well, i've been offline for a couple of months now, mostly due to 80+hr work weeks at my new place.  logged on today and found myself grinning at all the characters around this site.  it's been too long since i've had a chance to talk guns and politics.

at any rate, about 6 weeks ago i left deep ellum and took over as GM of a new nightclub in addison called 'the velvet hookah'.  for those of you familiar with addison, we're in the old broadway grill structure on addison rd and arapaho.

the place is, get this, jewish and arabic owned, and is probably the coolest bar i've ever worked.  i inherited a fun staff, so shift work is a riot.  the only problem is that they've never had anyone with admin skills to properly set up the operation.  result:  i spent an extra 30-40 hours a week on office work.  imagine trying to tune up your car while driving in rush-hour on 635, and you'll get the idea.

there's some light at the end of the tunnel, though, and it now looks like i'm going to get to give myself wed night and all of mon off.  another couple of months and i might actually get to go to the range.

anyway, good to read you guys again, and if you want, drop by sometime and i'll buy you a drink.

laters,

E
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
"The Velvet Hookah?" Wow...

Who should we ask for when we stop by?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
ask for eric.  incidentally, a hookah is a mediterranean water pipe.  tobacco only at our place, but we also sell the pipes, and in the privacy of your own home...

and to avoid any disappointments, let me point out that this is not a topless place  

(then again, the waitstaff has been known to flash, but don't tell them i told you)
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool. What's proper attire at The Velvet Hookah?

Do I need a burnous or a shemagh?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, who can we ask for?  

I don't want to go into the Velvet Hooker and start asking around for "sirensong"! haha
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]
cool!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats right arround the corner from our Dallas office.
I'll have to stop in if I get back down there before we close it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
SCHWEET!  What kinds of tobacco do you have in stock?

Sutliff?

Dutch Cavendish?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
right now, we're using romman and nachla tobacco, but we are working on developing our own brand so that we can do our own flavoring and quality control.  we have ~20 base flavors, such as apple, jasmine, coffee, etc., and 15-20 blends of these flavors. while most hookahs are filled with water, our guys have been experimenting with cream, liqueurs, and even champagne, and some of the results are amazing.

the nice part is that, even if you don't get into the hookah aspect, it's still a great club.  the music i'm bringing in is lounge-oriented, not crap dance or top40 mixes.  plus, the PA is set up so that you can actually converse at normal levels.  what i really like is that the crowd we're getting is a little more grown-up than at our deep ellum location, which i ran for about a month.  in other words, fewer party kids and more intelligent adults.

as far as attire, weekdays are come-as-you-are, and weekends are the same as most places in addison:  i.e., no thug crap, no shredded jeans, etc.  the decor is indian/arabic/persian, but the owners and i are very serious about being an american place with an international feel, rather than 'an arabic place' or 'an indian place'.  basically, the owners told me "make it a place that you'd like to hang out at", and i'm taking them at their word.

you can either ask for eric or say 'bring me the guy who never sleeps.'  either way, they'll come and get me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell you can go to my favorite gun range the Winchester Gun Range that is owned by the City of Dallas the last time I was there.  Do it at lunch time whenever that might be.  I like Addison but I like the places around the stadium.  Oh my - my eyes are burning just thinking about it.

One thing about Dallas businessmen is being able to take 1-1/2 to 2 hour lunch everyday that was great.

The food there in Addison, Dallas is fabulous of course.

No finer women in the country are from Big D

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
any ar15.com promotions, i.e.

show your ccw and get your first bowl free!!

:)
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hell you can go to my favorite gun range the Winchester Gun Range that is owned by the City of Dallas the last time I was there.  Do it at lunch time whenever that might be.  I like Addison but I like the places around the stadium.  Oh my - my eyes are burning just thinking about it.

Its not called Winchester anymore. Its changed owners and it pretty much sucks now. The only good thing about the place is that it is also Tiger Valley North now. Sorry man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top