Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 6:25:15 AM EDT
I am assuming that this is considered a "Class III" and/or classified as a "destructive device" by the ATF.  Can someone point me to the regulations regarding an M1 Flamethrower on the ATF web site?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Flamethrowers are not regulated devices.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't point you to where you can find ATF's view. But I'm fairly certain there are no regulations on flame throwers at all. As simple as buying a pack of batteries for your flashlight. I think they are classified as "farming implements" or some such.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
What is an "M1 flamethrower"?

WW2 era?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#4]
not regulated.  Otherwise, torches would be C3 items.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a rather lengthy discussion with the guy at Knob Creek that rents them, there are NO restrictions.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Where can you get one?

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  Yes, it's a rare WWII Flamethrower that came out just before the M2 did - not many produced.  A friend who is a collector of WWII memorabilia has one and wants to sell it, but wasn't aware of any regulations pertaining to selling one.  He's not sure what to ask for it (price wise) either.  It's in "very good" condition, and is functional.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Flamethrowers are not 'firearms', since they do not propel projectiles and are not MG conversion kits or silencers...

No gun laws apply to flamethrowers...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Be sure to check your State law though. But that seems to be the rule with any fun toy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Where can you get one?

Soon, my friend www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=215099&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]
when did the millitary quit using the flame thrower? im sure it was pretty effective, im suprised they quit using them.

oh well, i'm going to step in the garage now and make one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry but this thread requires mention of:

SPACEBALLS: THE FLAMETHROWER!!!!

The kids love this one....
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
when did the millitary quit using the flame thrower? im sure it was pretty effective, im suprised they quit using them.

They were very ineffective because of their rediculously short range and the Army got tired of all the horibly burned or dead men who had to carry the things. A single bullet was all that was needed to turn a flamethrower man into a human torch. Against the Japanese in WWII it was all we had to deal with their bunkers and spider holes untill the last couple months of the war on Okinawa when the 57mm and 75mm RCLR's came out. We tried flamthrowing tanks and they were safer, but couldn't be carried everywhere and once the RPG-7 appeared they were NOT safe. Both the M132(M113 based) and M68 (M48 based) would turn into a rolling ball of fire.

We tried replacing the traditional liquid flame thrower with the M202 FLASH flamethrower rocket launcher, which was a semi-disposable 4 shot rocket launcher that threw 66mm thermite rockets. Though still on the books to this day, none were used that I know of in Afghanistan or Iraq cause people are afraid to use them. If a bullet or fragment hits one of the thermite rockets, splits it and exposes the filling to air the man or vheicle carrying it will be incinerated by a 3000degF blaze that can only be smothered by burying it with dirt.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were very ineffective because of their rediculously short range and the Army got tired of all the horibly burned or dead men who had to carry the things. A single bullet was all that was needed to turn a flamethrower man into a human torch. Against the Japanese in WWII it was all we had to deal with their bunkers and spider holes untill the last couple months of the war on Okinawa when the 57mm and 75mm RCLR's came out. We tried flamthrowing tanks and they were safer, but couldn't be carried everywhere and once the RPG-7 appeared they were NOT safe. Both the M132(M113 based) and M68 (M48 based) would turn into a rolling ball of fire.

We tried replacing the traditional liquid flame thrower with the M202 FLASH flamethrower rocket launcher, which was a semi-disposable 4 shot rocket launcher that threw 66mm thermite rockets. Though still on the books to this day, none were used that I know of in Afghanistan or Iraq cause people are afraid to use them. If a bullet or fragment hits one of the thermite rockets, splits it and exposes the filling to air the man or vheicle carrying it will be incinerated by a 3000degF blaze that can only be smothered by burying it with dirt.

why not make one where neither of the two constituents is flammable, except when combined?  that way, if a bullet ruptures a tank, no fireball ensues.

and btw, is anyone here planning on grabbing their flamethrower if the shtf?  i think most of us would just use them as an interesting, destructive curiousity.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Well now we are working only on thermobaric (fuel air explosive) rockets and such. Playing catch up with the Russians who have all sorts of such warheads for all kinds of weapons. They are basicly binary and safe.  They don't set things on fire, but their effect is actually a little better than a fire- you can rush in right behind a FAE device, depending on how big a one you used, becuase not much should be burning.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
and btw, is anyone here planning on grabbing their flamethrower if the shtf?  i think most of us would just use them as an interesting, destructive curiousity.

When dealing with zombies, giant mutant ants or weird pissed off aliens make mine a flamethrower.  

Flamethrower use in movies (non WW2, Korea, VN war movie):
Alien series (1,2 & 4)
Stripes
D.C. Cab
Exterminator series
The Thing
Them
The Hidden
Road Warrior

any others????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top