Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 6:06:16 AM EDT
I just got a letter from the IRS stating that I will be receiving an advance payment of $800 ($400/child) for my 2003 Child Tax Credit.

Has anyone else gotten this?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
YES!  We got $800 last year for 2 kids.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Not me I dont have kids.

I do every 2 weeks with my paycheck get the we took a shitload of your money note on the bottom of my check, it even shows how much they took for the year.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]
No! I was stunned to learn that I would receive nothing from the IRS for having two kids. I suppose I make too much money, 30K? WTF? I never got a damn thing, not one cent except for my measly tax return. Horseshit!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
What a fucking joke!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Tax Credits=Direct government handouts

If the government said that they'd be sending $800 checks out to parents for their personal use, there would be a taxpayer uproar.  If they do it by calling it a tax credit, everyone seems to shut up.  They are never told that if your credit exceeds your tax liability, the balance becomes direct cash payment.  This is an outrage.  View the EITC statutes!  It's simply a direct payment poor people with kids.  They pay no taxes anyway, so their 'credit' comes to them as a refund payment.

What a f'ing joke, but people give it a pass, because they are under the illusion that these people have a tax liability anyway!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I got kids but still no check yet.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#7]
This has nothing to do with EITC.  It is an additional Child Tax Credit, not for poor people, but for people with kids.  My husband and I have great paying jobs and are far from "poor".  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This has nothing to do with EITC.  It is an additional Child Tax Credit, not for poor people, but for people with kids.  My husband and I have great paying jobs and are far from "poor".  

I know this isn't the EITC, but it's just inequatable.  I don't have kids yet.  Why must I effectively pay more in taxes than you?  Please don't give me that 'good for America' stuff.  Societal benefit should never be the sole litmus test for any government action.  If it was, we might as well burn the bill of rights as lots of 'bad' things are protected by that archaic document.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I got the credit last year along with my overpayment check AFTER filing.  This letter said that I will be getting an ADVANCE payment.  It just usually doesn't work that way.

I'm happy with mine, because I pay way too much in taxes anyway.  I'll take back whatever I can get.   Those without kids should note that $400 does not go very far in a year towards feeding and clothing a child, but every little bit helps.

However, I don't agree with a credit if you did not pay any taxes, but I think that's what the Dems had to have to allow this thing to pass.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, now that's service from the Service.  I got the letter Saturday and the check came today.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I wasn't going to give the "Good for America" stuff, I simply benefited from this CTC.  I think we've all gotten stomped by the government in one way or another anyways.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know this isn't the EITC, but it's just inequatable.  I don't have kids yet.  Why must I effectively pay more in taxes than you?  Please don't give me that 'good for America' stuff.  Societal benefit should never be the sole litmus test for any government action.  If it was, we might as well burn the bill of rights as lots of 'bad' things are protected by that archaic document.

The only way to achieve income tax equality is to have a flat tax.  If people really wanted it they would have voted in Forbes instead of Bush.  Sucks being in the minority but thats Democracy for ya.

Shok
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Tax Credits=Direct government handouts

If the government said that they'd be sending $800 checks out to parents for their personal use, there would be a taxpayer uproar.  If they do it by calling it a tax credit, everyone seems to shut up.  They are never told that if your credit exceeds your tax liability, the balance becomes direct cash payment.  This is an outrage.  View the EITC statutes!  It's simply a direct payment poor people with kids.  They pay no taxes anyway, so their 'credit' comes to them as a refund payment.

What a f'ing joke, but people give it a pass, because they are under the illusion that these people have a tax liability anyway!

I was upset over this too Drift but didn't happen.  You didn't pay taxes you don't get the credit.

Tj
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Why does everybody say the Flat Tax is the only fair tax.  Its still not fair, because those working for cash can still not claim all their earnings and pay less tax than the person on payroll.

The only fair tax is the sales tax.  Everyone pays the same.  Even the drug dealers who have never filed a tax return pay sales tax.

Its fair and it encourages savings which could help out on the backend during retirement.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]
if it's anything like the "tax credit" from a few years back,and it probably is.....it's a joke, all they do is give you back your own money what you normally would get as a refund. sort of like a "advance"  

I would much rather have them cut my taxes even more.....between state, federal, property, sales, gas tax etc.. etc.. etc.. we're paying out more then 60% of what we earn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top