Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 8:22:26 PM EDT
Looking into making my Plain Jane preban BM Shorty a little more high speed.

Gonna get a ML2 but I'm really having a hell of a time digging through all of the mounting options. I want to keep it simple.

Also what type of back up sight is issued?

What will I need to co witness the irons in the lower third?

Thanks! Pics would be great if anyone has a good set up!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If by "standard issue" you mean the US Army, it'd be the Aimpoint Rail Grabber mount.  As far as back up irons, its usually the Knight's 300m sight.  They are the closest to a "standard issue."  There is quite a lot of variation in whats out there in units, and different branches of service, depending on whats purchased by the unit or in some cases by the individual soldiers themselves. Ive seen pics of SEALS with the PRI mount and the LMT fixed back up sight or cut carry handles.  USMC Force Recon uses KAC Straight and Cantilever mounts with KAC 300 or 600m BUIS.  Ive seen US Army soldiers with ARMS #40 and GG&G back ups. Whats issued to a particular unit and whats the best for your purposes are usually different.

My prefered Aimpoint mount is the ARMS 22M68 with cantilever spacer and an ARMS 40 for back up.  My 2nd choices would be the Knight's Cantilver and their 300m sight.

Pick what you like.  The all are quality gear.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Gents! I am looking at the ARMS products. Does anyone know the best source?

Any more input? I would like to see a good pic of a setup if anyone has one they like.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a big fan of Eagle Firearms.  Check the EE.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, the ARMS #40 and their throw lever mount is better than the military setup.  Check out the optics board.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the QRP Rail Grabber, made by Aimpoint for the Aimpoint.  It's an excellent mount.

I also do not see a great deal of difference among the various high-end mounts, they're all good at the job they do.  Since you will likely not be slugging it out in the mud in the mountains above your favorite rifle range, it's not that big of an issue, either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top