Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 7:37:01 AM EDT
I believe next year they are going to allow Japanese cars on the NASCAR circuit. And so it goes, a long tradition falls to the wayside.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I know the Toyota Tundra will be inthe truck series, but Toyota will not be running in Winston Cup Nextel Cup for a few years at least.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#2]
there goes the sport.  Oh well i haven't really enjoyed the races since the implemented the restrictor plates.

mike
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It has been a long slide downhill for years. You make the sport more popular and you lose the old school fans.

I remember going to Martinsville and buying my ticket the day of the event for around $20.

Now with all the people added to the stands it is a traffic nightmare after the event. It took me 4 hrs to get out of the track at Bristol a few ago. Another 4 hrs drive home.

I have been to my last race!

Fond farewell old friend....
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been to a Nascar Winston Cup race out here in Vegas,  what a zoo.  It took me 2 hours to park and over 4 hours to get home.  By the way,  it should only take 30 minutes to get home from the track.

I tried to go to the Craftsman truck race here a couple of months ago,  I even HAD TICKETS.

I got stuck in what they call "track traffic" about 15 miles from the track.  I gave my tickets to the guy stuck in traffic next to me,  flipped a u-turn and won't go back to that track.

Anyway,  off topic but just though I'd share.

Jap cars in racing,  that sucks,  what engines are they going to use?  Don't they still have to use the 355 cubic inch engine?  
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Toyota partnered with GMC and will be running the spec engine.

So what? NONE of those fucking piece of shit cars are STOCK, none of them run MANUFACTURERS engines. The only thing that makes the cars DIFFERENT is the body - oh wait, thats FUCKING SPEC too, the name badge, the color and the driver.

I for one can't wait for Suzukihakaimero to be the NASCAR champion!

NASCAR SUCKS!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The Infiniti V8 could compete on the super speedways.

Hell, Mercedes could run a car that would compete.

As was pointed out, the only things that are different are the stickers on the car, the driver, and the color scheme.

Let's make it like the old days...you tweak that motor the best you can and you tune the car to the track......those who do that best will stand the best chance to win.

I HATE a race that can be won on pit strategy alone.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#7]
NASCAR = spec racer taxi's in a circle jerk looking for a demolition derby

--notack
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
thinking about it i really have not really enjoyed a nascar race since Petty retired. Late 80's? back when cars could be considered at least somewhat stock. Real body shapes at least.

I guess the redneck in me will always prefer stock car dirt tracks. THAT IS SOME FUN SHIT!

mike
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]
JAPCAR?

Japanese American Production Car ?

-HS
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's mostly because NASCAR won't allow them to use an OHC engine (something the Japanese haven't produced in years). It's like NASCAR told them "Yeah, you guys can compete, but you AREN'T ALLOWED TO USE MODERN TECHNOLOGY!"

So, Toyota's sticking a GM engine in their race truck.

Personally, I'd like to see someone run a Ford engine in a truck that's half-Chevy and Half-Dodge, just to poke fun at the whole idea....If Toyota can get by with using someone else's engine, then why shouldn't the other brands be allowed to mix and match, too?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]

I believe next year they are going to allow Japanese cars on the NASCAR circuit. And so it goes, a long tradition falls to the wayside.

Well using your definition they let a German car in when they let Dodge start racing again. The manufacture of Dodge is called Daimler-Chrysler and is a German company.

Any model raced in NASCAR must be produced in the US. I would also guess Toyota builds more cars and trucks in the US than Daimler-Chrysler does, almost all of the Chrysler/Dodge low end product line is produced overseas.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
there goes the sport.  

mike

Sport???  AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Sorry, couldn't resist

Sgtar15

PS  How you doing today Milsiurp?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
NASCAR has become nothing more than a huge IROC Camaro race.
They wind tunnel test the cars so Chevy won't have an advantage over Ford, and vice versa....then vary the angle of the spoiler so they are all the same.   What???? I thought that was what r-a-c-i-n-g was about, to see who was the best driver in the fastest car.

Then they add restrictor plates...so now you have 36 cars all going the SAME speed. This PC fairness crap sounds nice unless you are one of the drivers coming up on turn #3...methinks there is a conspiracy between the restrictor plate makers and the yellow flag makers.

And remember all the cryin' and snot slingin' from the drivers during the Hoosier vs. Goodyear tire wars?...." (sniff) his car is faster than mine cause he's got different tires, waaaaahhhhhhhhhh..."

Nowadays 'bout the only difference is the paint job...and I'm sure they'll be bitchin' about that soon.

Today's NASCAR is all about TV time, period. And how many times did your sponsor get his name shown on national TV...who finished first is an afterthought.

And these helmet throwin', whineyass, glamour boys who think they're doin' you a favor by signing your over-priced T-shirt need a few lessons in fan etiquette.

I'll stay home and watch a re-run of Dale, Cale, Bobby, Darryl and Richard anyday.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to watch it but it really does nothing for me any more.
I do enjoy going to the local Dirt track and watching the local guys run thier "stock cars"

Its fun to watch guys race who have put every penny in there pocket into thier car for the season.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:42:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's mostly because NASCAR won't allow them to use an OHC engine (something the Japanese haven't produced in years). It's like NASCAR told them "Yeah, you guys can compete, but you AREN'T ALLOWED TO USE MODERN TECHNOLOGY!"

So, Toyota's sticking a GM engine in their race truck.

Personally, I'd like to see someone run a Ford engine in a truck that's half-Chevy and Half-Dodge, just to poke fun at the whole idea....If Toyota can get by with using someone else's engine, then why shouldn't the other brands be allowed to mix and match, too?

If you want modern technology check out the ALMS/Lemans races, incredible cars to say the least. There Tech is king. www.mulsannescorner.com/
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Much like the second amendment, NASCAR has been compromising on tradition since the early '80s.  Its actually sort of sad to see the sport die a slow and agonizing death like this.  NASCAR is trying so hard to reach the rest of the us (outside of the Southeast).  It doesn't realize that its only a fad ont he national level.  It is on minute 12 and soon its 15 will be up.  The life long fans in the South have long since left due to the turn against tradition, not to mention the outrageous ticket prices.  Sad, really sad.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Great..a bunch of riced out Civics with stupid wings racing all "fast and furious" with the big boys.  sounds like a "good" movie plot.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#19]
...and don't even get me started on the NASCAR "sponsorship" of Jesse Jackson's PUSH coalition...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Sport is dying?? Yes sport. Anyone who can drive around a track for 2+ hours in 130+ degree heat is an athlete.
Winning drivers?? Met Dale Jarrett twice this past week. Could not have been nicer.
Spent most of the day in a suite with his brother. Reminded me of the shooters I’ve met willing to answer any dumb question we had and kept on smiling.
Watched Jeff Gordon walk to the drivers meeting yesterday signing anything handed to him. Was actually looking tat the blonde walking with him.
Dying?? Hours sitting in traffic to get in and hours waiting to get out add up to a dying sport??
Gerry
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sport is dying?? Yes sport. Anyone who can drive around a track for 2+ hours in 130+ degree heat is an athlete.
Winning drivers?? Met Dale Jarrett twice this past week. Could not have been nicer.
Spent most of the day in a suite with his brother. Reminded me of the shooters I’ve met willing to answer any dumb question we had and kept on smiling.
Watched Jeff Gordon walk to the drivers meeting yesterday signing anything handed to him. Was actually looking tat the blonde walking with him.
Dying?? Hours sitting in traffic to get in and hours waiting to get out add up to a dying sport??
Gerry

Homestead...nice track. Gordon was with a blonde? What did he look like?

Awwwwwwww..geeez. I could not help myself!

DJ is a great man and great ambassador to the sport. I just hope his team gets their act together over the winter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#22]
What they need to do is get a grip and open the doors to ALL new automotive technology.  Just put a hard limit on horsepower and some other parameters, but...really...why even CARE how you get there?

Much as I love the classic pushrod V8,  modern OHC motors are FAR more efficient.

I'm not the type to get very excited about watching a bunch of cars drive in circles for hours, though.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sport is dying?? Yes sport.

Not sport, game. Golf is a game.

The very rigourous definition of a sport is:

A sport is any activity in which all of the following take place:

1. An individual playing session is held between exactly two opposing players or teams.
  2. The successful completion of a playing session results in a win for one player or team and a loss for the other or a tie between the two players or teams.
  3. An integer score is assigned to each team corresponding directly to the number of times certain predetermined actions are performed by that team. The only judgment by any official regarding the score is whether these actions were performed. The winner of the playing session is determined by the final score.
  4. The players regularly engage in rapid, self-propelled locomotion. Examples include, but are not limited to, running, skating, and swimming.
  5. The duration of the game is limited either by time or by the completion of a preselected number of play units, whose scope is determined by the completion of certain events during play.
  6. The objective of the activity does not at any time directly involve physically harming an opponent.
  7. The status of a solid inanimate object, movable by the force of one player, is of central importance when play is active. Furthermore, when play is active, the object is not physically attached to any player; and it is not rendered motionless, held, or contained by any player for an extended period of time.
  8. No live animals, other than humans, are used.

A slightly better one is:

For an activity to be considered a sport it must obey the following 3 rules:

1. It must require above average physical ability or skill in using your body.

2. You must compete simultaneously as your opponent.
A turn-based activity (such as cheerleading) is not a sport. This is a prerequisite for the 3rd rule.

3. You must be able to directly hinder your opponent from achieving what he/she wants to accomplish.
This hindrance must be allowed by the rules. You need to be able to freely stop your opponent from doing what they want to do. This is where running fails as a sport, blatently cutting off of another runner is not allowed.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#24]

If I recall NASCAR is the fastest growing sport in the world!

I bet Chevy don't sell Toyota a Hendricks Motorsport engine!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. An individual playing session is held between exactly two opposing players or teams.
  2. The successful completion of a playing session results in a win for one player or team and a loss for the other or a tie between the two players or teams.
  3. An integer score is assigned to each team corresponding directly to the number of times certain predetermined actions are performed by that team. The only judgment by any official regarding the score is whether these actions were performed. The winner of the playing session is determined by the final score.
  4. The players regularly engage in rapid, self-propelled locomotion. Examples include, but are not limited to, running, skating, and swimming.
  5. The duration of the game is limited either by time or by the completion of a preselected number of play units, whose scope is determined by the completion of certain events during play.
  6. The objective of the activity does not at any time directly involve physically harming an opponent.
  7. The status of a solid inanimate object, movable by the force of one player, is of central importance when play is active. Furthermore, when play is active, the object is not physically attached to any player; and it is not rendered motionless, held, or contained by any player for an extended period of time.

A slightly better one is:

For an activity to be considered a sport it must obey the following 3 rules:

1. It must require above average physical ability or skill in using your body.

2. You must compete simultaneously as your opponent.
A turn-based activity (such as cheerleading) is not a sport. This is a prerequisite for the 3rd rule.

3. You must be able to directly hinder your opponent from achieving what he/she wants to accomplish.
This hindrance must be allowed by the rules. You need to be able to freely stop your opponent from doing what they want to do.
This is where running fails as a sport, blatently cutting off of another runner is not allowed.

Well by both of these definitions NASCAR, F1, Indy etc. racing would be considered a Sport!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um reading comprehension 101.

Your text in blue.

My text in red.

Main Entry: all
Pronunciation: 'ol
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English all, al, from Old English eall; akin to Old High German all all
Date: before 12th century
1 a : the whole amount or quantity of <needed all the courage they had> <sat up all night> b : as much as possible <spoke in all seriousness>
2 : every member or individual component of <all men will go> <all five children were present>
3 : the whole number or sum of <all the angles of a triangle are equal to two right angles>
4 : EVERY <all manner of hardship>
5 : any whatever <beyond all doubt>
6 : nothing but : ONLY: a : completely taken up with, given to, or absorbed by <became all attention> b : having or seeming to have (some physical feature) in conspicuous excess or prominence <all legs> c : paying full attention with <all ears>
7 dialect : used up : entirely consumed -- used especially of food and drink
8 : being more than one person or thing <who all is coming>
synonym see WHOLE
- all the : as much of... as : as much of a... as <all the home I ever had>

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
NASCAR = spec racer taxi's in a circle jerk looking for a demolition derby

--notack

WooHoo! I got quoted
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top