Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/13/2003 3:50:00 AM EDT
SO I go take a class for work purposes and it happens to be Veterans day...we all get to talking and most are Vets.

I am the only Army guy there.  So I compliment the Navy guy who worked in a machine shop/armorer buy saying you guys are great.  I spent some time on aircraft carriers for missions and had to get some weapon work done...you guys are numero uno in my book when it comes to fixin shit...

Then the story goes with the Navy Seal shit this and I did this...
This guy  couldnt fit in my truck if he had to<quite large>no offense to anyone.  Out of the only TWO guys I personally know that retired from the Navy and are Seals..they have stayed in supreme shape.

Then its lunch and "Seal I was one but not really" s telling the instructor that he worked with SPetsnaz while docked in some secret russian port to train them on hasty armorer techniques while in combat.BULLSHIT

Listen: Be proud of what you are and not what you think other people want to hear or try to impress, most of the time if you are square than everything is good to go> A Veteran is a Veteran regardless.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#1]
just ignore them, and maybe they'll go away.

fakes are easy to spot, i just usually give my attention to something else.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:11:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The few real former SEALS I've known don't brag about it.  They don't need to.  They know who they are and have nothing to prove.

Warning sign No. 1 is when the guy can't shut up about it.

Real SEALs have my utmost respect.  I'm not ashamed to say I probably wouldn't have hacked the BUDS course in my prime.  Those guys are tops.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Just ask them their class number!
The real thing will INSTANTLY blurt it out probably followed by SIR!

The wannabee will stammer and stutter and then come up with some BS about secret training no swim buddy and no class number.

PS I learned this trick from a real Seal!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]
My class # is , um, ahhh,....TOP SECRET!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#5]
There's this guy I've seen frequent the gunshows around AZ, and he always wears black BDU trousers, a black t-shirt and black ballcap (both with MACV-SOG on them.)
Well, a buddy of mine walked up to him one day and asked "So, you were with SOG, huh?" And the guy gave him a look  like he was king shit, and replied "Can't talk about it, it's secret." "Sure it is," my buddy replied as he walked away. There were about five of us standing around laughing afterwards. The man in black left soon thereafter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There's this guy I've seen frequent the gunshows around AZ, and he always wears black BDU trousers, a black t-shirt and black ballcap (both with MACV-SOG on them.)
Well, a buddy of mine walked up to him one day and asked "So, you were with SOG, huh?" And the guy gave him a look  like he was king shit, and replied "Can't talk about it, it's secret." "Sure it is," my buddy replied as he walked away. There were about five of us standing around laughing afterwards. The man in black left soon thereafter.

If it was that secret he wouldn't be advertising it with the hat!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Always remember, unless they're insane...

...THEY know that they're a miserable liar.
There's no reason to point it out to them.
THEY know, and they hate themselves for it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone that I have ever met that has served or is serving in an elite military capacity has been extremely reserved, humble and professional.

They don't have hollow egos and therefore no reason to feed them with boastful lies.

Whenever I meet one of these windbags I just put distance between us.  Yes, they are an irritating lot.

-HS
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I was at a gunshow in Mansfield Ohio some years ago and got"treated" to an"action hero story."I was dealing on the newest gun purchase from a vendor set up beside a fellow who had a table full of Aw's.This fellow was in the process of telling his "story"to some young men who were customers for Aw's."There I was,I came up out of the water with my m60 machinegun blazing,I was zapping dinks left and right.The other Seals were rescuing the POW's and I was laying down a good base of fire for them."......Didn't we see Chuck Norris do it better?This fellow apparently also sells appliances at a Sears store in N.E.Ohio from what people at the show were saying.People do love a "story."  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a Navy vet and I, too, can't stand a poser of any stripe.

I, for one, have not and WILL not wear an insignia (be it SEAL, USMC, or anything else) that I've not earned, even on something as simple as a T-shirt. If I didn't earn it, I don't wear it, PERIOD.

If I want to show off an accomplishment of mine, I wear USNA gear, which I do quite often.

Posers should be severely beaten with a stick.

That being said, I wish I could have been a SEAL, or that I had joined USMC out of USNA instead of USN. Oh, well...
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]
...and I was a door gunner on the Space Shuttle right after I got out of the Foreign Legion, but that was before I was a MIB....
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Who would want to be a navy seal anyway!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Guys that can't make it into the 101st Airborne?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I want to show off an accomplishment of mine, I wear USNA gear, which I do quite often.

go army
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Peronally, I don't think there is any outfit that is better trained, tougher, or more capable for all around assignments than the Navy SEALs.

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is a quickie.....

Of all the people I work with who are and were once in the Special Forces, Delta, and Rangers. (Sorry dont know any SEALs) NONE of them talk about their operations, most are just content with saying "I was in the Army"

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you mean 82nd, right?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The few real former SEALS I've known don't brag about it.  They don't need to.  They know who they are and have nothing to prove.

Heheh, tell me about it.  A friend of mine from high school is a SEAL.  When he goes to bars to pick up chicks, he doesn't tell them he's a SEAL.  He tells them he's the door gunner on the Space Shuttle

Sometimes they dont believe him, to which he replies "If it wasn't for me shooting down the meteors, the Space Shuttle wouldn't last 5 minutes." That usually settles all remaining doubts in their minds.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Peronally, I don't think there is any outfit that is better trained, tougher, or more capable for all around assignments than the Navy SEALs.

Army - Delta Force : 47%
Navy - SEALs : 15%

Now go back to your own thread and address the pending issues.

NsB
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you mean 82nd, right?

No he really means 3/75th
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now go back to your own thread and address the pending issues.NsB

I'm entitled to my opinion, and I stand by it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not talking SEALS vs. DELTA here...

NsB
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you mean 82nd, right?

The 82 is where wannabe’s for the 173 Brigade are screened for suitability for Combat Jumps.
Face it Cherry; the Vincenza Paratroopers made a combat jump, the 82 did not.
Of course if a Ranger that had a star in his wings were to come along I clean off a seat for him.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NsB

I am!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NsB

Well hopefully this won't turn into a debate about who is better. Generally speaking, each unit in SOCOM is better at one thing than the rest. Delta guys are counter terrorist, Special Forces train and fight with native forces, SEALs go in and stir shit up and leave and also work in water to a degree none of the others can or do.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be the poor sap on the receiving end of their wrath.

That said, I haven't come across any fakes, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Day dreaming to yourself is one thing but actually telling tall tales? LOL lame...
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#26]
A-G, Nice post!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#27]
You have no concrete proof that his tale is not true so just let it be and move on.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Here is a quickie.....

Of all the people I work with who are and were once in the Special Forces, Delta, and Rangers. (Sorry dont know any SEALs) NONE of them talk about their operations, most are just content with saying "I was in the Army"

I agree that this is the SOP.

I worked with a guy that I knew was ex-service but I never asked him anything about his background.  Anywho long story short I learned that he was a Ranger from another guy who was one that happened to know him.

OTOH there was also a guy at work who made crazy claims about bringing home M60's from the war(Desert Storm). He would always be talking big about some "war" stories.  Maybe he was the guy they made the movie Rambo from!!!

It's kinda like money...If you have to tell everyone you have some...ya aint got enough!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

And what does these % represent? 47% what of what?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what does these % represent? 47% what of what?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=214860

NsB
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Isn't there a website dedicated to tracking down Special Forces phoneys?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#32]
"This one time, at uber-Ranger-SWAT-Ninja-Recon-Delta-SEAL camp..."
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife work with a guy who baked bread for a living in Florida.  He was about 20 at the time it was about 1986 when this conversation happened.  I heard it but it was amazing he was in Vietnam! Greneda Falkland Islands

His girlfriend was even defending this goof

Yeah he was in all the elite forces too

So later I went to a military uniform shop and bought the Special Forces insignias.  I asked him did he know what these are.  Guess what big surprise NO CLUE.

I never served but even I can tell some of this.

When I watch the movie "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy and he is pulling the blind man cripple routine.  Where he served in Wham Bang and all those places over there I think of this guy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#34]
What a loser. Ever since BHD everyone knows all fake SF guys are now Delta or Rangers .
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What a loser. Ever since BHD everyone knows all fake SF guys are now Delta or Rangers .

maybe after all this PFC Miller publicity everyone will now be claiming they were a welder in a maintainance unit
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Isn't there a website dedicated to tracking down Special Forces phoneys?

Yeah there is one for checking out "REAL" SEAL's...Maybe someone can post a link if they got it...
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe after all this PFC Miller publicity everyone will now be claiming they were a welder in a maintainance unit

Yeah the 409th Dry Cleaning Battalion.

I can hear it now "one time in North Dakota, this tabbed Spec-4 comes in with a huge stain on his shirt, man I tell you, that was hell. We didn't think we could get it out. All of my soliders were smoked and I was the only one left to fight this stain. I finally got it out with a little "chemical" I won a Silver Star for that one, but the unifrom was a new classified type, so its not in my record, Fuck man, Delta ain't got nothin' on me!"
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#40]
i got to meet a SEAL senior chief in boot camp. really quiet reserved guys, one of his diver buddies came in and told us he had just got back from afghanistan with a silver star.

i was in awe the entire time.

but seriously, with all of the stupid high school bullshit about the best spec ops/whatever group....GET OVER IT. theyre all professionals, we all serve under the same flag. Whether youre mooring to the pier on the USS pieceofshittugboat or out in some foreign country fuckin shit up, we all still salute the same flag, we all still stand at attention for the colors.

i may be 18, but some of you guys need to grow up
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah the 409th Dry Cleaning Battalion.

I can hear it now "one time in North Dakota, this tabbed Spec-4 comes in with a huge stain on his shirt, man I tell you, that was hell. We didn't think we could get it out. All of my soliders were smoked and I was the only one left to fight this stain. I finally got it out with a little "chemical" I won a Silver Star for that one, but the unifrom was a new classified type, so its not in my record, Fuck man, Delta ain't got nothin' on me!"

haha
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I was impressed by the Seals I met.  Although I got mightily pissed at one.  Tried to set my newly rebuilt motor whaleboat on fire.  We had just spent $23k+ fixing it when a new one would have cost a little over $24k.  (Doing $23k+ damage to a mwb is another story)  We were for some reason, picked to be the ship picking up the guys after they did an insertion practice jump at sea.  He goes out with us with a bucket and pops a smoke grenade into the bucket and sets it down on the seat.  "Hey, put the bucket over the side and hold it with one of the boat hooks."  "No, it needs to be in the boat."  "Listen, it's my boat and the bucket or you and the bucket are going over the side."  "Hold it with the boat hook in the waater, the water will keep the bucket cold and keep it from from burning through the bucket and my boat."  "BUT" "NOW"  

Yes the ocean acts like a heat sink and will keep it from burning through. (Not unlike boiling water in a paper cup over an open fire. I discussed it with the team leader and he agreed holding it over the side made sense since "we" didn't bring something to set it on.  Thanks guys, a little communication makes things a lot easier.

We were halfway between San Diego and San Clemente Island.  They flew out in a helo, landed and left us the guy for the boat.  Flew up to altitude, jumped, we picked them up, hoisted us all aboard the helo came back, picked them all up and flew away.

Oh well what goods a training budget if you can't spend it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Im a member of DISNEY's elite tactical response force.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
"This one time, at uber-Ranger-SWAT-Ninja-Recon-Delta-SEAL camp..."

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I know a few real operators/warriors. I ever have the honor of calling some of them my friends. And they are very quiet about it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#46]
this thread is skirting on gay...  my specops unit can beat up your spec ops unit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#47]

...and I was a door gunner on the Space Shuttle right after I got out of the Foreign Legion, but that was before I was a MIB....

you mind if I use this quote as my sig line?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I got to meet a few at Little Creek once,  why would anyone want to impersonate these guys?

They are nuts!!!!
but they are truley reserved and give great advice on weapons qualifications.

But still who would want to jump out of a damn good airplane and swim to shore.

Not me!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#49]
So gay...
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So gay...

What doesn't make you gay, only makes you stronger.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top