Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2003 4:19:54 AM EDT
Story

MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- Miami's police chief has a warning for protesters during next week's pan-American trade talks: Say anything, be as obnoxious as you like, but keep your hands off the cops.

"We expect our police officers to be insulted, their masculinity to be challenged, their ethnicity to be challenged, their parentage to be challenged and they must take it, they know that," Chief John Timoney told Reuters.

"You can yell, scream, say anything you want ... (but) keep your hands to yourself. Put your hands on a police officer and you're in a lot of trouble," said Timoney, promising such offenders would land in jail.

The city expects tens of thousands of protesters during the Free Trade Area of the Americas meeting from November 17 to 21, when officials from 34 North, South and Central American nations will meet in Miami to negotiate a regional trade bloc.

Marches, rallies and vigils are planned to protest everything from the impact on indigenous farmers to the international sale of cigarettes.

More than 40 police agencies have worked since March on a plan to let peaceful protesters air their grievances while thwarting what Timoney called a small group of anarchists bent on damaging property and assaulting police.

Miami authorities want to head off the kind of violence that has disrupted international trade talks in other cities, most notoriously Seattle in 1999.

Timoney, who took the helm of Miami's force in January, spent 29 years with the New York Police Department and oversaw policing at the 1992 Democratic National Convention. He was Philadelphia's police chief when it hosted the 2000 Republican National Convention.

"I've got some experience dealing with these type of events," he said.

More at link...
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah?Your point? Any type of  unwelcome physical contact is considered simple harassment, a chargable offense here in NY. I am sure that FL has a similar charge.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheif John Timoney means what he says.

He made a HELL of a difference here in Philadelphia. It was a sad day when he left.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Your point is to pass on how thw MPD Chief is standing up for his men and making sure people understand that they are not to lay a hand on them? Good for him, and you!

Thanks for posting and cudos to the Chief!

Good luck to MPD in dealing with the hippies and anarchists who are sure to show their asses.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#4]
>>>"You can yell, scream, say anything you want ... (but) keep your hands to yourself. Put your hands on a police officer and you're in a lot of trouble,"<<<

Translation:
you're gonna get your ass kicked.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have absolutely NO problem with this premise.  I consider unwanted physical touches an assault on me and my space.  But hey, maybe I'm odd....  ?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
i think it's a good rule. after all, if this wasn't in place, it would open up the way for fighting, etc.
put yourself in their shoes. out there, geared up, facing a crowd of how many? yeah, you too would want all the protection you could get.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it says a lot about these protesters that he has to make a declaration like this.

-HS
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Saturday morning at the playground it isn't.  

I predict that a number of protestors will not listen,  be introduced to a world of pain,  and then bitch about it on the morning news.

We will then see posts on here denouncing the thugs police have become.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#9]
FAIR ENOUGH
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If these "protestors" are going to be those black clad, anti-WTO, filthy hippie, anarchists, who torch Starbucks' and Mcds...

...I look forward to watching Miami's finest done up in their most evil-looking "jackboot thuggiest", robo-riot gear, and bashing some hippie skulls.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Just good common sense. Putting your hands on anybody you don't know in a tense situation is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I've met Timony on several occasions.

He is a very hands on type of cop.

He would even ride at a local mountian bike race, they had a class just for cops, they all raced with their gear on, it was funny as hell seeing thirty armed cops on bikes racing thru the woods!

Timnony is a class act.

He came a up from being a street cop in NYC. The cops under him respect him, if there is trouble, Timony is on the front lines with the other cops, he is not afraid to "get into it" if he has to.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#13]
The way it should be
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:40:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If these "protestors" are going to be those black clad, anti-WTO, filthy hippie, anarchists, who torch Starbucks' and Mcds...

...I look forward to watching Miami's finest done up in their most evil-looking "jackboot thuggiest", robo-riot gear, and bashing some hippie skulls.

Now THAT's what I am fucking talking about!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Be very quiet, I'm hunting hippies.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone has to be there with a camera! I would pay money to see a movie called,"Hippies Gone Wild!". As long as the movies premise is purely hippies getting a good old fashioned hippy ass wompin'.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Be very quiet, I'm hunting hippies.

www.gulftel.com/tnolfe/Troopers.jpg

rofl!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#18]

One day, those hippies are going to wise up and start buying this same gear from the tactical shop and show up to face off.

I wonder how long it will be before the hippies start to organize counter-riot police tactics??

Pretty soon these rally gatherings will start to look like two sets of Stormtroopers facing off across a police barricade.

Wonder why nobody has evr escalated it in that fashion?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

One day, those hippies are going to wise up and start buying this same gear from the tactical shop and show up to face off.

When your total income comes from selling peanut butter and banana sandwiches, you just can't afford all that stuff.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

b/c they are dumbass hippies?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

b/c they are dumbass hippies?

I was meaning to imply that other groups routinely find themselves across a police barricade, and they may/may not have the funds available to be equally as decked out as the cops.

I was broadening my question a little.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

When your total income comes from selling peanut butter and banana sandwiches, you just can't afford all that stuff.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.gulftel.com/tnolfe/Troopers.jpg

I wonder how long it will be before the hippies start to organize counter-riot police tactics??

Pretty soon these rally gatherings will start to look like two sets of Stormtroopers facing off across a police barricade.

They do.  I've even seen intel reports on classes teaching how to injure police horses, blind officers, even one class advocating  killing or maiming OTHER protestors and then claiming the police did it.  

What they require and thankfully lack,  is discipline and structure in their efforts.

Take a close look at the next protests.  Note the amount of improvised equipment and weaponry.  Nails sticking from protest signs, fishhooks sewn onto the back of motorcycle gloves or short sections of rope, football pads, helmets, etc. During the last peace protest here locally  I found a bookbag full of those fogger type bug bombs and plastic Pepsi bottles of gasoline.

This was a "Peace"protest of only around 2,000 people. What's showing up in Miami makes these guys look like amateurs.

Edited to add:

There seems to be the idea these guys are poor.  Far from it. You'd be surprised at the cash on hand.  Mommy and daddy of course.    
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Hippies are (generally) very careful not to cross the line a physically assaulting cops. That will ensure an ass-kicking.

The fact is that protesters can escalate all they want, but the police will raise their level of force to A LEVEL ABOVE WHATEVER LEVEL IS PRESENTED. That is the key to all this... Protesters can't win.

You want to show up with fists, fine we'll show up with bats. You want to show up with bats, fine we'll show up with guns. You want to show up with guns, fine we'll bring APCs.

Again as a general rule though, protesters are cowardly and have little stomach for real pain and violence.

Their real power is their ability to play the media as victims.

-Z
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Protesting is one thing. Destroying other people's property and assaulting people is quite another.

I hope they suspend the "bag limit" for hippies at this protest.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#28]
In Florida, it is called Battery on a Law Enforcement Officer F.S. 784.07. A third degree felony.

"... The offense of battery occurs when a person:

1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other ..."
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Escalate to APC's?

Oh boy....

Anyway, the backhanded attempts to injure officers is bullshit.  Covert traps are bullshit.

I guess if they want to tango they should MAN-UP and take it right to them, then suffer the beat down of the century.

Cops really should get better training to be able to break an arm with one stroke, or whatever.

These rioters would piss themselves if skilled hand-to-hand masters were beating their asses.

These multiple strokes of the baton and ASP make them look like street thugs engaging in a "jump in".  Quick and swift disabling blows is what they need.  I'm not sure many of these anarchists would hold up well to a broken forearm or two.

Shows much better on TV and makes these assholes realize there are consequences to molesting a cop who hasn't touched you.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Touching or shaking an officers hand out in the battlefield signifies weakness.

These savages and animals that prowl our streets can sense weakness.If you let them touch you and you do not react, they sense it(weakness) and look for an open spot to make their move.The streets are battlefields, gentlemen.

The evolution of the criminal mind is ever becoming more and more violent with little regard for authority.

I applaud this chief for looking out for his officers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I just want to see the video of the "Hippy Ass-Wompin."

Scott
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#32]
"Hey Joe,
How'd you like to go to war,
Once More?"

“Keep America Beautiful:

Shoot a Hippie”

Joe

I was too young to see it at the time.  I remember the commercials.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Molotov cocktails made with environmentally friendly non-breakable bottles.  Yah think we should???.  nah let them find out themselves.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Great stance. Recognize protester's right to free speech. Recognize their right to PEACEABLY assemble. Recognize the officers right to bust some heads if it goes beyond that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I see no problem with aiding these nice people in a baton shampoo and repeat if nessecary.....if required, ofcourse.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Several facts about the anti-WTO crowd.

They operate with the efficiency of a military unit, the lead elements have been in Miami for about two weeks now. they have been observing police response times and tactics by testibg them with minor infractions. For instance there was a brief case placed on the sidewalk in front of city hall, when the bomb squad showed up and opened it it was found to be full of sod. They also use grafitti to mark targets such as Starbucks ect. I wonder if any of you remember the denial of landing rights to the greenpeace ship in the Miami harbor ? Direct connection, when the police boarded the ship they found roit gear and beacoup gas masks.

They travel with their own lawyers and film crews to initiate legal actions in real time against municipalities.

I think it was in Rome when in anticipation of trouble the police initiated heightened security measures. The protest mob skiped to plan "B" and trashed a neighboring city.

I believe that anyone who is sick of this shit and the waste of taxpayers money should volunteer to film the protests from start to finish and give the footage to the police.

Sounds like a fun group huh ?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I would have worded it a little differently.  "Touch a cop and meet mr. baton, then meet mr. paddy wagon then meet mr. bubba in the county lock-up."
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Haha.....charge them under the Homeland Defense Act or Patriot Act or whatever the hell covers terroristic acts.

As soon as the mob gets unruly, and busts a few cops they should get more than a disturbing the peace or striking a police officer.......

Throw their asses in jail for about 5 years.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#39]
[Chief Wiggum] Boy's break out the tear gas, make it hippie strenght......[/Wiggum]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#40]
What happens when the police touch a protestor?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Usually, something like this:

Looks like a peace lovin' kind of guy, right?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Usually, something like this:

www.urban75.com/Action/Img/seattle06.jpg

Looks like a peace lovin' kind of guy, right?

Just remember, the things you allow your attack dog to do to someone today, is what they will turn around and bite you with tommorow.

Always happens, and people are always suprised when it does.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#43]
The voice of reason:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
-John Wayne, The Shootist
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The voice of reason:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
-John Wayne, The Shootist

AMEN!  Probably my favorite quote.  I live by it and I will teach it to my sons.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top